My wife is spending her precious time looking for a dress for Captain night! Oh first

cashmir23

Our cruise is just one week away and I've been shopping for dresses since March. There will be 2 formal nights on our cruise, and I'm getting a new dress for both. I've got one dress nailed, but the other I'm not sure about, so I'm taking 3 choices to CA so my daughter, sister and neice can help me decide. I haven't let DH see me in any of the dresses, yet - gonna WOW him during the cruise :D So excited!

Our cruise is just one week away and I've been shopping for dresses since March. There will be 2 formal nights on our cruise, and I'm getting a new dress for both. I've got one dress nailed, but the other I'm not sure about, so I'm taking 3 choices to CA so my daughter, sister and neice can help me decide. I haven't let DH see me in any of the dresses, yet - gonna WOW him during the cruise :D So excited!

Something to think about....I always take an extra cocktail dress just in case a zipper should come out or something happens. That way I know I have a different dress for photos.

On the Breeze the meet the Captain and senior officers was not a big deal. They just stood there and you got to talk to them or take photos with them. No speeches no drinks.

I don't believe that Captain night on Carnival is a big deal. You are correct they just stand there to say hello. When I first started cruising--many years ago---Captains dinner was a big thing. Everyone dressed up, tuxes and party dresses. On Carnival many don't dress up as much as other cruise lines and as in the past. Carnival is more relaxed on Elegant night.

Relax and enjoy life.

We still dress up every night.

My husband brings his tux and his white dinner jacket. He also usually brings his navy suit and a pair of tan slacks. He wears a long sleeved button front shirt and tie with the suit pieces each night. He won't even wear shorts to dinner on the 1st night. He always packs a pair of khakis to change into for dinner on that 1st night.

I usually wear a nice dress and heels every evening. I pack at least one full length formal and quite often both are full length. I wear casual sundresses during the day and there is a distinct difference between my day wear and evening wear.

All that being said ... we did a 3 day cruise out of Long Beach back in March. It was our 1st time cruising from the west coast. We've always heard how much more casual the west coast is and decided not to pack the tux and formal wear. My husband still packed a shirt and tie and his black slacks. I wore one of my more dressy maxi dresses and tried to bling it up a bit with my jewelry. We figured we'd be fine. We were both shocked at how dressy many did get and wished we had packed something a little nicer.

It's your vacation. If you want to wear a gown/tux, do so.

I first noticed more casual dress when I was on the Alluer of hte Seas a little while ago.

I saw maybe 4 couples in tux/gown on formal niights. I saw more jackets and pants suits. The vast majority were in khaki type pants and polo shirts.

Since then, I've cruised the NCL Epic and Breakaway. I didn't see ANY tuxes or gowns worn on those cruises.

I used to bring my tux and another suit. Then, I just brought a suit. Then, I just brought a sport coat.

My upcoming Breeze cruise will be the first that I've not brought a tie and sport coat.

I suspect this trend continues.

But again, it's your choice what you wear. If the tux and gown is something you like, by all means, wear it.

Thank you all!! The funny part is, she want me to get something after she find her dress....So I cant even just put on just anything. ..hahaha. . Oh boy... What a cruise its going to be! Cant wait!

A lot of us are like that, I match my DH to my dress every cruise! On our family cruise, my son is asking to wear a tux, so my DH and my father in law are too, just for him. My daughter wants to wear a ball gown, so every other girl is too.

cashmir23 by starting this post you have made me want to step it up a notch on my formal night attire. I am actively looking for a cocktail dress. I usually wear a nice dress but not to fancy but I will be sparkling this time! And my DH will be coordinated! Thanks

We still dress up every night.

My husband brings his tux and his white dinner jacket. He also usually brings his navy suit and a pair of tan slacks. He wears a long sleeved button front shirt and tie with the suit pieces each night. He won't even wear shorts to dinner on the 1st night. He always packs a pair of khakis to change into for dinner on that 1st night.

I usually wear a nice dress and heels every evening. I pack at least one full length formal and quite often both are full length. I wear casual sundresses during the day and there is a distinct difference between my day wear and evening wear.

All that being said ... we did a 3 day cruise out of Long Beach back in March. It was our 1st time cruising from the west coast. We've always heard how much more casual the west coast is and decided not to pack the tux and formal wear. My husband still packed a shirt and tie and his black slacks. I wore one of my more dressy maxi dresses and tried to bling it up a bit with my jewelry. We figured we'd be fine. We were both shocked at how dressy many did get and wished we had packed something a little nicer.

I was looking at some of the 'maxi' length dresses when we were out shopping the other day but unfortunately even if they are short enough to where I don't trip over the hem all the time, I end up looking very silly as I'm short and VERY curvy. :(

I am convinced that fashion is not for us fat chicks...you have to be six feet tall and weigh next to nothing to look good in clothes these days. Which is why I stick primarily to jeans and teeshirts.

Agree to disagree I guess. I've always seen gowns, cocktail dresses, suits and yes, even tuxedos on all of my 7 Carnival cruises....never seen flip flops or sneakers. This post has plenty of people that have said yes, I do like to dress up. Personally, I dress up every night, not just elegant night.

I have to agree with gapearl, I love dressing up & do it every night for dinner. I vowed not to buy any new dresses for my upcoming cruise :rolleyes:yeah right... not only did I buy 2 new elegant night dresses I found one in the back of the closet with tags still on that I bought for my last cruise. I love cruise dress shopping almost as much as the cruise:D

TeeTee

I was looking at some of the 'maxi' length dresses when we were out shopping the other day but unfortunately even if they are short enough to where I don't trip over the hem all the time, I end up looking very silly as I'm short and VERY curvy. :(

I am convinced that fashion is not for us fat chicks...you have to be six feet tall and weigh next to nothing to look good in clothes these days. Which is why I stick primarily to jeans and teeshirts.

OH NO!!!! Big girls need love too! Embrace your curves! The grass is not always greener on the other side. I am barely 120 and 5' 6" and range from a size 0-2. I wish I was a bit thicker as I feel being voluptuous is sexy! I have learned that I am who I am and I wear clothes that flatter what I've been given.

That said, check out this blog for fashion tips. There are TONS of plus sized clothes that accentuate and flatter womanly curves. Ruching around the waist area and belted dresses create a gorgeous waist line, flowy dresses hide "rolls" lol, but show off the silhouette. I'm sure you will look beautiful!

http://springsummerfashiontrends.blogspot.com/2013/04/spring-summer-2013-plus-size-fashion-trends-for-women.html#.UgpRE5K1F8E

Good for her! She is going to have so much fun..:). I'm sure she wants to look pretty for you and yes by all means' date=' dress up for her!:) I love showing my husband off in his tux or dress blues!;)[/b']

I've got another five day cruise coming up soon and I have have three new evening gowns and two new cocktail dresses! We won't even talk about the shoes, evening bags, etc.:D

Have her come over to the Fashion Board and join the ladies on this thread. Such a nice group of ladies and we have such fun discussing our cruise fashions. She will enjoy this group.

Hope you both have a wonderful time on your cruise.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1493510

Going to go check out the fashion board myself. Thanks for the recommendation.

Well I like the rest of the la dies, like to DRESS UP, and look good. There is only one difference in myself, compared to most who have posted on this forum.

I go to the "thrift" shops, and get the most beautiful dresses. In my 20 years of cruising, probably around 12-14 cruises, I have had so many beautiful dresses to wear from "thrift" shops, and NEVER, have I been on a cruise where someone (more than one) will stop me and compliment me on my dress. Makes me a HAPPY camper.:)

Well I like the rest of the la dies, like to DRESS UP, and look good. There is only one difference in myself, compared to most who have posted on this forum.

I go to the "thrift" shops, and get the most beautiful dresses. In my 20 years of cruising, probably around 12-14 cruises, I have had so many beautiful dresses to wear from "thrift" shops, and NEVER, have I been on a cruise where someone (more than one) will stop me and compliment me on my dress. Makes me a HAPPY camper.:)

I get mine trhu ebay (used or cheap) or I make my own with discounted material!

OH NO!!!! Big girls need love too! Embrace your curves! The grass is not always greener on the other side. I am barely 120 and 5' 6" and range from a size 0-2. I wish I was a bit thicker as I feel being voluptuous is sexy! I have learned that I am who I am and I wear clothes that flatter what I've been given.

That said, check out this blog for fashion tips. There are TONS of plus sized clothes that accentuate and flatter womanly curves. Ruching around the waist area and belted dresses create a gorgeous waist line, flowy dresses hide "rolls" lol, but show off the silhouette. I'm sure you will look beautiful!

http://springsummerfashiontrends.blogspot.com/2013/04/spring-summer-2013-plus-size-fashion-trends-for-women.html#.UgpRE5K1F8E

Thanks for the link.

I usually wear jeans or teeshirts or some sort of button down and throw on a shawl or a scarf or something I knitted or crocheted myself to add a bit of flair. :) I do love my handmades...planning on bringing at least one shawl for elegant night and maybe another just to wear around if I get cold or something.:D

Archived