HAL pricing is HIGH

General Max

We booked a category "VA" cabin for the inaugural sailing of the Noordam on 2-22-06. The pricing on the HAL website was $2583.77 per perso. We actually booked the cruise with our Albuquerque, New Mexico Travel Agent for $2008.69 per person. $575.08 per person less. No shipboard credit, bottles of wine or dinner certificates for the Pinnacle Grill.

The $2008.69 price is the same to the penny with the East Brunswick, New Jersey Travel Agent.

Cheers

General Max

I think they have to be careful and not have any pricing that would hurt the TAs out there who provide the bulk of their business. I'm guessing that at least some of the difference is what goes to the travel agency, a portion of which goes to the TA who booked the cruise. The agency can cut into their take a bit to offer wine, dinner, shipboard credit, or whatever to thank you for your business.

I always wonder if all posters are comparing apples with apples.

Are you including port and other taxes? What about air fare and taxes if you require to fly to the departure port? Also if you leave from one port and return to another? :confused:

I always wonder if all posters are comparing apples with apples.

Are you including port and other taxes? What about air fare and taxes if you require to fly to the departure port? Also if you leave from one port and return to another? :confused:

In my few cruises, my agent has always been less than the cruiseline (HAL and Celebrity) - all inlcuded port charges and taxes.

We booked a category "VA" cabin for the inaugural sailing of the Noordam on 2-22-06. The pricing on the HAL website was $2583.77 per perso. We actually booked the cruise with our Albuquerque, New Mexico Travel Agent for $2008.69 per person. $575.08 per person less. No shipboard credit, bottles of wine or dinner certificates for the Pinnacle Grill.

The $2008.69 price is the same to the penny with the East Brunswick, New Jersey Travel Agent.

Cheers

General Max

These prices include port charges and taxes. They do not include airfare or travel insurance of HAL transfers.

Cheers

General Max

I've started to price Maasdam for next summer to repeat our back-to-backs Boston to Montreal to Boston in an "S" and the prices on HAL's website are shocking. If that is the best I can find, we will be doing something else as we will not pay those rates. I haven't even called my TA yet for pricing or really researched on line yet but wanted an idea of what HAL thought those cruises can/will sell for. A lot more than what we paid for this year's cruises.

I am staying in a J-inside cabin and paying the single supplement for my cruise on the Noordam's maiden voyage (which is, let us remember, a TEN DAY cruise); I booked this in February. The total I'm paying is $1746.72. This figure is inclusive of Taxes and Port Fees, but does not include my airfare to and from New York. This price is now nearly $100 less than I can book it with many of the online brokers.

HAL wants $2,353.77 for a cabin in the same category, factoring in the single supplement. In other words, I'm booked aboard for $607.05 LESS than one can buy the cruise from HAL today. That's crazy.

And, yes, they really stick it to us single travelers with the supplement!

complaining about fares being too LOW during the aftermath of the 9/11 occurance and they were. Cruiselines are simply charging what they can due to 'suppy & demand' - seems to me that is 'business' - correct? They lost $ for yrs and are only now starting to show a decent profit and yes are maybe even making extra profits. A downturn in the economy cld see them return to barely making expenses so those extra profits wld then be used to keep sailing till 'things' improved. Surely we aren't going to condem them for what all businesses do are we? Either pay it or stay home but plse don't complain - NO - I am not connected with the cruiselines or travel in any way and while the fares seem high they aren't - look at air, hotel or resort fares for example. Besides, this is the 'glory' of computers - we can compare prices, etc easily. Cruise companies have to post higher fares or wldn't get any TAs to cooperate with them? Cruising is a relatively inexpensive and delightful way to 'see' many places - in my opinion! Hi Revneal - I also travel single and never complain - I get the WHOLE thing to myself & u pay for that - why shld the cruiseline lose $ to give any of us more convenience & comfort - don't like the supp. fees - so save them & share the space instead but better u than me. I am grateful that on a lot of 'lines I only pay 150% of the full fare - thats a bargain..again in my opinion anyway! Happy cruisin' all!

We just received a letter from HAL offering their 2006 World Cruise. The pricing shown for veranda cabins was less than for the outside categories. Go figure.

Thank you just received the same letter & figured we were reading it wrong..:confused: Here's the deal if you book by July 31..

A Verandah "AB" Cat is $24,099 with $500 Shipboard credit & complimentary First class Air upgrade if you book Economy air with HAL..

An "SY" Cat is $47,499 with same amenities as "AB"

An outside "F" Cat is $27,499 with $250 Ship board credit, no Air upgrade..

An outside "H" is $24,099 with no amenities..

Wonder how many outside cabins will be booked at these prices? ;)

I'm confused because I don't remember it ever being any different than this. Obviously the Noordam maiden voyage is more anyway, but the HAL website has ALWAYS shown much higher rates than I see on ANY TA site. I've always likened it to car prices. I never pay the "sticker" price. I go to the HAL site to get my benchmark and work from there.

The only cruiselines I know that are different are Celebrity & RCCL because of their new policy. The rate you see on their website matches the rate you get anywhere. TA's just give you freebies like insurance, "points", etc.

But I've never paid the fare listed on any other cruiseline's website or brochure.

cruisecrasy, did you enjoy your lecture? It's not so much the bottom line that people are noticing, it's the difference between buying it direct from HAL as opposed to buying it from a TA or a discount broker. $600 is really a big difference, don't you think? Or, do you go out and shop for the most expensive fare per-category that you can find? From the way you lectured us, it would appear that you do precisely this.

:)

Yes, the prices on HAL's website have always been higher than one could find through a TA ... by about $200. That figure has recently either doubled or tripled.

A Verandah "AB" Cat is $24,099 with $500 Shipboard credit & complimentary First class Air upgrade if you book Economy air with HAL.

Ooooh ... goody ... let's rush right out and book! :)

I paid that much for my new car 3 weeks ago.

And, yes, I expect to -- some day, when I'm no longer working -- book a world cruise for a price something like that. Gosh, that will be great! It may take me 5 or 6 years to save up for it, but I think it will be worth it. Perhaps I should start saving now? Hmmm ... I retire in about 25 years; so, if I save about $1000 a year, in addition to all my others savings between now and then, I should be able to go.

Sorry if u took it as a lecture - didn't intend to preach - I can leave that to u! I do get a bit annoyed though at those who have it so well and really don't appreciate it ...

Excellent. ;) You're not annoyed at me, then, because I DO appreciate all that I have been blessed to receive. :)

Ahhh a good point - u are 'bang' on. As far as how much HAL lists and what your TA quotes - why is there a problem - I believe I mentioned one can compare - it is up to the individual - correct? Besides has anyone considered HAL is simply getting us used to higher fares in the future by quoting much higher on their website? As far as the nasty remark from Revneal regarding my choosing the most expensive rates - to be expected when challenged? Happy cruisin' all!

As far as the nasty remark from Revneal regarding my choosing the most expensive rates - to be expected when challenged?

Nasty?

That's nasty?

Sarcastic, maybe ... but not nasty.

As for being "challenged" ... hardly.

Nasty?

That's nasty?

Sarcastic, maybe ... but not nasty.

As for being "challenged" ... hardly.

The good Reverend is spot on...the issue isn't with the price of cruises, it's in the vast difference in pricing between HAL and others. I mean, the airlines are pretty much in line with what the internet travel sites are charging - why would HAL be different?

What does one get for their $600? I will be willing to pay a little more to a TA than an internet site so that I can have the "warm fuzzies" that someone is looking out for me. But if someone wants to be extra sure that there are no glitches in their cruise and book directly with the cruise line, is that really worth such a large difference in price?

Archived