Silversea Water Cooler: Welcome!

UKCruiseJeff

Jeff the bbq pork rice looks delicious! Can I complicate things on the subject of the BA/Amex card with the companion tickets? Apparently we don't pay for the one we have but it definitely offers the tickets for two years. Hubby can't remember the details but thinks it may have been offered on some tie in promotion with the Amex card but to me that makes no sense? :confused:

I've also asked him what exactly we're paying the Amex Plat fee for, it seems like a lot of money to me and I don't see what we recoup from it.

Thrilled to see all of this Cheshire talk, and how many of us from there or thereabouts. I was born there too, we moved up to Lancashire when hubby moved to BAe at Samlesbury about 20 years ago. It's lovely up here but a bit more wild ie dramatically rural, and I miss the gentler countryside of Cheshire sometimes. And it's a shorter run to Manchester airport from Cheshire too! :)

Jeff the bbq pork rice looks delicious! Can I complicate things on the subject of the BA/Amex card with the companion tickets? Apparently we don't pay for the one we have but it definitely offers the tickets for two years. Hubby can't remember the details but thinks it may have been offered on some tie in promotion with the Amex card but to me that makes no sense? :confused:

I've also asked him what exactly we're paying the Amex Plat fee for, it seems like a lot of money to me and I don't see what we recoup from it.

Hi,

No probs. This may explain it.

It sounds like he might have like myself a legacy arrangent under which people that had the Amex plat for some years, in the early years you could have the Amex BA Prem without the normal £150 fee. If you look at a BA statement, check that it is both Premium and on the statement where it has annual fee it says £0 as long as you have an Amex card ... A few of this still have this to the annoyance of others.

Personally, I also question the value as I don't need priority pass as the tickets i have get lounge anyway. I'm keeping it for the moment because of the travel cover and the current Cathay Gold which expires for good next March. Cathay Gold is BAa silver. I have found that if you drop a camera or something Amex insurance is very good. I have managed to have around 3 claims in 15 years or so and all were paid very quickly and fairly. Do you have the cathay gold cards? Too late to apply if you don't.

I trust the plat card travel cover for everything other then medical for which I have an extension to my health insurance cover.

Hi,

No probs. This may explain it.

It sounds like he might have like myself a legacy arrangent under which people that had the Amex plat for some years, in the early years you could have the Amex BA Prem without the normal £150 fee. If you look at a BA statement, check that it is both Premium and on the statement where it has annual fee it says £0 as long as you have an Amex card ... A few of this still have this to the annoyance of others.

Personally, I also question the value as I don't need priority pass as the tickets i have get lounge anyway. I'm keeping it for the moment because of the travel cover and the current Cathay Gold which expires for good next March. Cathay Gold is BAa silver. I have found that if you drop a camera or something Amex insurance is very good. I have managed to have around 3 claims in 15 years or so and all were paid very quickly and fairly. Do you have the cathay gold cards? Too late to apply if you don't.

I trust the plat card travel cover for everything other then medical for which I have an extension to my health insurance cover.

Thank you.

Yes, the BA/Amex card is definitely the same one that you have too. So at least it's costing nothing, at the moment at least.

Spoke to my husband about this and he's told me that he likes to keep the Platinum for the lounge access (no Cathay Marco Polo, he didn't bother to apply for it even though I was pushing him as I knew it expired on 31 March), plus the fine hotels and resorts programme benefits.

I'm not sure how much the Plat card annual fee is these days, and I'm not sure that I want to know either ! (I'm the more frugal of the two of us), but I'm guessing it's around £400 a year.

When we went to Singapore this year we stayed at the Mandarin Oriental so the benefits of the FHR programme were a free dinner for two and a nice room upgrade. We were upgraded within category which was Club level, but they gave us a gorgeous corner suite with stunning views. Also, FHR was offering 3 nights for the price of 2. So all of that combined would come to a value which to me justifies the £400 for this year....but overall I'm not sure of its value.

If you use it to book with Amex travel for a Silversea cruise you get a bottle of Dom Perignon, but as Amex travel won't discount we're far better off with our present TA who DOES discount and we can buy a bottle of Dom if we want one with what we've saved!

Also for cruises I seem to remember that the Plat card cover wasn't enough for the base cost of our cruises, so we have separate travel insurance.

It seems to me that we'd be better off letting the Amex Plat go, buying a Priority Pass card and paying for me as a guest, and paying the £150 for the BA/Amex card.

We've held the Platinum card for about 20 years, and in that time the service from their travel department has deteriorated, the value of having the card seems to be less, and let's face it, the card itself no longer has the prestige value it did back then.

Ok my head is in a spin now after all of that, time for lunch. Probably a wedge of Mrs Appleby's Cheshire and an apple. All hope of dieting has gone out of the window ;)

Thrilled to see all of this Cheshire talk, and how many of us from there or thereabouts. I was born there too, we moved up to Lancashire when hubby moved to BAe at Samlesbury about 20 years ago. It's lovely up here but a bit more wild ie dramatically rural, and I miss the gentler countryside of Cheshire sometimes. And it's a shorter run to Manchester airport from Cheshire too! :)

Although l do love Yorkshire I always feel more at home in Cheshire/ North Wales :)

Enjoying your talk about travel benefits......S:)

Thank you.

Yes, the BA/Amex card is definitely the same one that you have too. So at least it's costing nothing, at the moment at least.

Spoke to my husband about this and he's told me that he likes to keep the Platinum for the lounge access (no Cathay Marco Polo, he didn't bother to apply for it even though I was pushing him as I knew it expired on 31 March), plus the fine hotels and resorts programme benefits.

I'm not sure how much the Plat card annual fee is these days, and I'm not sure that I want to know either ! (I'm the more frugal of the two of us), but I'm guessing it's around £400 a year.

When we went to Singapore this year we stayed at the Mandarin Oriental so the benefits of the FHR programme were a free dinner for two and a nice room upgrade. We were upgraded within category which was Club level, but they gave us a gorgeous corner suite with stunning views. Also, FHR was offering 3 nights for the price of 2. So all of that combined would come to a value which to me justifies the £400 for this year....but overall I'm not sure of its value.

If you use it to book with Amex travel for a Silversea cruise you get a bottle of Dom Perignon, but as Amex travel won't discount we're far better off with our present TA who DOES discount and we can buy a bottle of Dom if we want one with what we've saved!

Also for cruises I seem to remember that the Plat card cover wasn't enough for the base cost of our cruises, so we have separate travel insurance.

It seems to me that we'd be better off letting the Amex Plat go, buying a Priority Pass card and paying for me as a guest, and paying the £150 for the BA/Amex card.

We've held the Platinum card for about 20 years, and in that time the service from their travel department has deteriorated, the value of having the card seems to be less, and let's face it, the card itself no longer has the prestige value it did back then.

Ok my head is in a spin now after all of that, time for lunch. Probably a wedge of Mrs Appleby's Cheshire and an apple. All hope of dieting has gone out of the window ;)

The card costs £450 annualy, but if you dump it then you will then pay £150 for the BA card so the Plat card is effectively £300 for you.

You need take over day to day interest in the Plat card and to keep your eye on Robs blog. And learn to read between lines. ;););)

We often notice wrinkles (that no one else notices including the people making the offer it seems .... ) that more than wipe out the cost of the card each year. For example, a few months ago there was an offer by a distributor of well known aspiration brands of a £50 voucher. This was for purchases over £50. We discovered (as one does) that you could make multiple purchases and use the voucher for each. I bought a dozen shirts that were normally £80 but discounted to £50'ish and the voucher bought each order to zero. I bought some expesnive jumbers / sweaters and other stuff as well. I think the total was around £1000. I think I made around 15 orders and decided to play fair and stop. And they run out of my size. A few months earlier, an art dealer was offering a £250 voucher against future purchases. Purchases start at less than £250. ;)

They also offered Plat members a free night at a hotel last November ... we chose London ..... we took the free night on the Lords Mayer Show and saw the fireworks. Can't remember the name of the hotel but it was the brand new one (ME?) where the beeb was in The Strand ie Bush House. It was £450 worth of hotel night for free.

EDITED: Found it ...

http://www.melia.com/en/hotels/united-kingdom/london/me-london/index.html?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=PPC&utm_term=London&utm_campaign=DestME&nfxsid=52f9ce4a572131392102986&gclid=CPfOtp71gL8CFcoBwwodCwYAVQ

Also, today BA announced that they were bringing in new interiors to Club Europe. This effectively reduces pitch by 4 inches from 34 to 30 inches and chops half an inch off the width. This makes Club Europe a dafter choice. So Priority Pass might become more useful in the future.

If you use it properly it's good value.

A few thoughts.:)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I was born in Frodsham, and lived there until marriage many moons ago - nice village though I would not have thought of it as a place to have a holiday home.

Went to school in Chester; and thought at the time that everyone had to walk to school round old city walls, etc. etc. A rude awakening when first visiting less salubrious towns! We have never lived in a large town or city, and now in fairly old age live in a village with 150 inhabitants. Bliss apart from lack of public transport.

I was born in Frodsham, and lived there until marriage many moons ago - nice village though I would not have thought of it as a place to have a holiday home.

Went to school in Chester; and thought at the time that everyone had to walk to school round old city walls, etc. etc. A rude awakening when first visiting less salubrious towns! We have never lived in a large town or city, and now in fairly old age live in a village with 150 inhabitants. Bliss apart from lack of public transport.

You are as old as you feel dear .... :D Did you see Lady Trumps today on TV? Who could say that she was old! The finest pair of two fingers ever in the Upper House! :D

I have to say that having been brought up right in the very center of London where Barbican now is - when at weekends you never saw another living soul ... and living now in a picture postcard English village then I conclude that if you have experienced both you end up needing both. The problem is as you get older, is dealing with change. If you are a Londoner .. .you feel that you own London. It's yours. You begrudge change. I still feel I know every inch of central London and when with my kids know every short cut, pub, quirky history and walk. In a way London is a village or series of villages. In this real Hampshire village, everythone (thinks) they know everything about you. When I'm "in town" I yearn to be home ... when at "home" I yearn to be "in town".

We had a beer and music festival last weekend in the village. We left and came home for our own beer and music festival.:eek:

We have two favourite walks in our old village. One is an old Drove Road .. the other is an old Mail route that bypassed turnpikes / tolls. Yesterday was the cart walk. Old trees.

DSC02101_zpsd43eaee8.jpg

Chester is lovely. :)

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

Lady Trumps is indeed wonderful - and she can give me a good few years. There must be something in my style of writing (such as it is) which inspires people to address me as dear or darling. I don't particularly mind; just wonder why.

The good thing about our current whereabouts is that we can get to the smoke in just over an hour, plus 15 minutes driving time, whenever we wish.

Regarding the Chester Grosvenor - when I was a teenager the thing to do on Saturday evenings was to eat at what was then called the Buttery Bar. All the young things met there, generally consuming the particularly sophisticated dish of gammon and eggs. I sported a Dunhill cigarette holder,and smoked Markovich Black and White cigarettes. Did I think I was something special!! A bit of a Juliette Greco, if anyone remembers her.

Lady Trumps is indeed wonderful - and she can give me a good few years. There must be something in my style of writing (such as it is) which inspires people to address me as dear or darling. I don't particularly mind; just wonder why.

The good thing about our current whereabouts is that we can get to the smoke in just over an hour, plus 15 minutes driving time, whenever we wish.

Regarding the Chester Grosvenor - when I was a teenager the thing to do on Saturday evenings was to eat at what was then called the Buttery Bar. All the young things met there, generally consuming the particularly sophisticated dish of gammon and eggs. I sported a Dunhill cigarette holder,and smoked Markovich Black and White cigarettes. Did I think I was something special!! A bit of a Juliette Greco, if anyone remembers her.

Apologies. I was born with a camp streak. I call everyone dear including men! In particular BA male cabin crew. A few weeks ago I even asked one to warm my nuts! And he did! :eek:

Your Saturday evening certainly evokes. I hope there was a pineapple ring with the gammon. In London we went through a French cigarette period. Two camps, Gauloise or Disque Bleu. :)

My Steiner training commenced at the CGH salon in 1966, the 'in' bar then was the Cellar which l, as a mere wet under the collar teen, thought the bees knees and so very sophisticated! :cool:

It has changed so much over the years but l still enjoy popping in for a cocktail or three and lunch in the Brasserie. :)

Apologies. I was born with a camp streak. I call everyone dear including men! In particular BA male cabin crew. A few weeks ago I even asked one to warm my nuts! And he did! :eek:

Your Saturday evening certainly evokes. I hope there was a pineapple ring with the gammon. In London we went through a French cigarette period. Two camps, Gauloise or Disque Bleu. :)

Guilty here too of such endearments....l call everyone 'Darling' :eek:

On the BA Club Europe note and the changes.....apart from the wee so called extras that they currently offer l really am not impressed.

CE from Nice in April was £800 one way.....l reluctantly booked cattle....but managed to endure it! ;)

S:)

Don't forget that you can use your miles for one-way trips.

Club NCE>LHR for example is 9k miles plus £25 or if you are short of miles then you can do 5k miles plus £70. Economy is only 4500 plus £17.50.

A lot of people overlook how valuable miles are for one ways when fares are highish.

Economy is perfectly adequate. We always buy a baguette at the booth before security whether we go C or Y. The lounge is not more than adequate. You have to knock on a window to get a glass of champers and they have stale bready things. See some interesting people though. Shared a flight with Manfredi and one of his VP's once. The best was having a couple of hours chatting to Ted Heath who had been playing a concert in Monaco. Lovely man.

Edited by UKCruiseJeff

I will start using the miles Jeff. When I first travelled alone last November l thought it would be a one off!

I actually don't mind BA economy on a short haul, I always book the lounge anyway just for a bit of peace and the fact l don't have to worry about my carry on whilst getting a drink. Think it was the Riviera in Nice....saw those stale bread things :eek: my normal pre flight tipple is a brandy in a black coffee....hides the sin particularly if one has an early departure :rolleyes:

S:)

Don't forget that you can use your miles for one-way trips.

Club NCE>LHR for example is 9k miles plus £25 or if you are short of miles then you can do 5k miles plus £70. Economy is only 4500 plus £17.50.

A lot of people overlook how valuable miles are for one ways when fares are highish.

Economy is perfectly adequate. We always buy a baguette at the booth before security whether we go C or Y. The lounge is not more than adequate. You have to knock on a window to get a glass of champers and they have stale bready things. See some interesting people though. Shared a flight with Manfredi and one of his VP's once. The best was having a couple of hours chatting to Ted Heath who had been playing a concert in Monaco. Lovely man.

I signed up for a BA credit card one time just because I needed two one way flights in business from Barcelona to Heathrow. The flights then were 15k miles each and the card came with 25k. I charged another $5k of the trip on it, and voilà, free flights.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We have a wooden lodge on A Country Holiday Park, its a "quiet Site" for ramblers Etc. Thankfully no kids. well not many, no club shop, no park or club house, just peace and tranquility. Back to sunny Cyprus Friday for yet more golf!!! Back here again in September, Cyprus is nice but blighty will always be home for me. :D

235278816_photo(23).JPG.db9cb7727b0b98d16dc0903be58f747d.JPG

Well done Mark!

Avoid Stonehenge this weekend .. it's Druid time ......:D

The signs are up on the A303 as are all the cones.

:)

I heard that you were setting up a street food stall to sell your special cuisine to the great unwashed this weekend.:)

I heard that you were setting up a street food stall to sell your special cuisine to the great unwashed this weekend.:)
No doubt his pease porridge will be a big seller. ;)

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Good morning everyone, it's been rather quiet here for the last couple of days. I've been away on a business trip, glad to be home and back to routine.

I'm just enjoying my morning tea, looking out at the garden which is at the height of it's lush gorgeousness. Even though we've had no rain for several days (yes,even here in Lancashire!) everything is looking wonderful.

Jeff, I've taken control of the cards and have been reading Head for Points. I've now read the Beginners Guide page on the blog, and think I have a better grip on it all now.