Istanbul Port

We will be in Istanbul on cruise stop for 1 day and 1 morning. Planning DIY, Blue Mosque, Aya Sofiya, Basilica Cistern, Bazaar and Spice Market. We have a food tour scheduled meeting at 6pm in Taksim Square. The following morning we have until about noon. Planning Topkapi Palace/ Harem for brief visit of highlights. I am not enthralled with the palace but feel like we should see it.

My questions...

Planning to get lira at ATM upon arrival and take tram to Sultanahmet. Will we have a problem with denomination small enough for fare? Should we convert pre-trip (=more costly)?

Should we purchase Aya Sofiya and Topkapi admissions in advance online?

Any additional advice is welcome.

Have been lurking here for months. Thanks to all for the great advice.

Planning to get lira at ATM upon arrival and take tram to Sultanahmet. Will we have a problem with denomination small enough for fare? Should we convert pre-trip (=more costly)?

I don't remember the exact denominations or prices anymore, but your plan is exactly what I successfully did. I did not get currency in advance. What I took out of the ATM worked for the token machine at the tram stop. Although, I was a solo traveler. I don't recall how many tokens I purchased initially either.

Edited by MeHeartCruising

Whether you should buy in advance depends on when you think you'll be there and what the extra cost is for the advance ticket.

When we were there, we went to the Hagia Sofia at around 10:00ish and the lineups were very very long. We passed and did other things. Then we went to the Archeological Museums and decided to buy the Istanbul Museum Pass, which allowed us to fast track the lines, and included Topkap and Hagia Sofia, so we went there after.

Topkapi line up was there but not too long. The Harem was longish but not as bad as the Hagia Sofia. Please note that Topkapi is really a compound with many sites, and each site within the compound may have a line. For example, the Harem and the Treasury rooms. After that, we went back to the Hagia Sofia in the afternoon, around 3:00 p.m., and there was barely a line-up, so we didn't really get to use the fast-track benefit of the pass in the end. Oh well.

So it depends on the luck of the draw I guess, but we went during shoulder season (April). If you're going in peak season, then I'd highly recommend advance tickets.

Whether you should buy in advance depends on when you think you'll be there and what the extra cost is for the advance ticket.

When we were there, we went to the Hagia Sofia at around 10:00ish and the lineups were very very long. We passed and did other things. Then we went to the Archeological Museums and decided to buy the Istanbul Museum Pass, which allowed us to fast track the lines, and included Topkap and Hagia Sofia, so we went there after.

Topkapi line up was there but not too long. The Harem was longish but not as bad as the Hagia Sofia. Please note that Topkapi is really a compound with many sites, and each site within the compound may have a line. For example, the Harem and the Treasury rooms. After that, we went back to the Hagia Sofia in the afternoon, around 3:00 p.m., and there was barely a line-up, so we didn't really get to use the fast-track benefit of the pass in the end. Oh well.

So it depends on the luck of the draw I guess, but we went during shoulder season (April). If you're going in peak season, then I'd highly recommend advance tickets.

The Istanbul Museum Pass (to purchase online) appears to be only for Turkish citizens.

The Istanbul Museum Pass (to purchase online) appears to be only for Turkish citizens.

Yes, that seems to be the case, I wasn't aware of that.

The OP asked about the usefulness of advance tickets generally and I gave my experience that it could be very busy with long line-ups and that we bought the museum pass while we were there which allows the holder to by-pass the line-ups (but one has to get the pass first) and this perk didn't really benefit us in the end.

But one can still get advance tickets regardless of residency (note that the Harem is an additional entrance fee to the Topkapi Palace entrance fee itself but both are included in the Museum Pass): https://www.muze.gov.tr/buy_e_ticket

Information about the museum pass can be found here: http://www.muze.gov.tr/museum_pass

Also, if you buy the Museum Pass, I'd suggest paying by credit card and remembering to keep the receipt handy as it provides a time stamp to indicate approximately when the 72 hours was activated. We heard from a couple who were short-changed 24 hours (they bought Monday morning but it expired on Wednesday morning) and the people manning the entrance booth at the museum they went to on Wednesday weren't sympathetic to their plea nor did the administrators seem to care on an e-mail follow-up. The entrance booth couldn't or didn't want to check to see when the passes were first swiped, which would have been the easiest verification method. Luckily the big museums were done the prior two days so it wasn't a huge loss, but it was still irritating.

Edited by ShopperfiendTO

When we exited the port, we went to the right as the tram station to the right is closer than the one to the left. We also passed several ATMs and got our money from one connected with a bank. We then took the large bills that it disbursed into the bank and they happily exchanged them for small bills that we could use in the machine at the tram stop. (Each token costs 3TL).

When we exited the port, we went to the right as the tram station to the right is closer than the one to the left. We also passed several ATMs and got our money from one connected with a bank. We then took the large bills that it disbursed into the bank and they happily exchanged them for small bills that we could use in the machine at the tram stop. (Each token costs 3TL).

GradUT brings up a good point that reminds me to add some clarity so that others are informed. There is more than one passenger exit point from the Istanbul port. The ships line up end-to-end along a long, linear waterfront and passengers exit their ship and walk to the street using different exits based on where their ship is. The Tram line passes along the street that parallels this linear port. So depending on where your ship is in that line, you may find the port exit your ship uses is to the right OR the left of the closest tram stop. Walking left will never be the wrong way, since that's the direction you want to go on the Tram and you will eventually reach a Tram stop. However, it is possible that the closest stop might be to your right. It might be best to ask someone on the street if you can.

I would add that we love the Tram Line because it runs in its own lane (with tracks) throughout its route. When Istanbul traffic is totally bottlenecked (this happens too often) the Tram will still be moving while buses and taxis are stuck.

Hank

• 8 months later...

Can anyone tell me specifically where you ported upon arrival?

Can you buy multiple tickets to the tram at the machines in the port that you can use over the time you are in Istanbul? Reworded: The tickets you buy are not date stamped and you then validate before each ride you take on the tram?

Can you buy multiple tickets to the tram at the machines in the port that you can use over the time you are in Istanbul? Reworded: The tickets you buy are not date stamped and you then validate before each ride you take on the tram?

What you actually get are not tickets but tokens (called jetons locally). You then have to insert the token into the turnstile to gain access to the tram platform.

Yes, you can buy multiple tokens and use them as needed.

Edited by cruisemom42

Your cruise ship will be berthed anywhere between the yellow markers 10 to 13 on the map linked by cruisemom.

That's an awfully long quay - the tram runs along a road behind the port & the nearest tram stop may be to your left - or it may be to your right. And it could be one of three stops. Not difficult to find, just follow the herd.

But do make a note of the name of your tram-stop, so that when you return you know which one to get off at. Based on personal experience :rolleyes:

Convenient ATMs on the way to the Galata Bridge stop, but I'm not sure that's true of other stops. If you have no lire & no ATM in sight, the nearest shop will sell tram jetons & will probably accept euros.

The machines at the tram-stops have instructions in English, they accept notes & coins and they give change. One flat fare, any journey. As cruisemom's post, the machine gives you a plastic token (jeton) which you put in the turnstile (disabled gate too) to access the platform at the tram-stop. You can buy as many tokens as you like, locals always carry a few to avoid having to use the machine each time. But you're probably best to just buy as you go, depending how far along the quay you're berthed & how long you're in port .

Definitely the only way to travel :)

JB :)

Edited by John Bull

......Then we went to the Archeological Museums and decided to buy the Istanbul Museum Pass, which allowed us to fast track the lines, and included Topkap and Hagia Sofia, so we went there after....

Much the same for us except we went to Topkopi first, got the Museum Pass, and then skipped lines the rest of the weekend. The Muzekart is the version that is for Turkish Citizens only. We went to Topkopi (with Harem), the Archaeological Museum, and Hagia Sophia. With those 4 admissions, the Pass saves you money. If you were to skip one, it costs a bit more, but you might save the hassle of waiting in line.

Keep an open mind on Topkopi. It really is spectacular. We rented the audio guide and learned a lot about what we were looking at. It is a huge complex. We were there for many hours (longer than at any other site).

Thank you very much for your answers.

Just a quick clarification - to determine the number of tokens I need to buy: we will be traveling from the Eminonu tram stop to Levent - do I have to have a jeton for the tram to Kabatas and then another jeton for the funicular to Taksim and then another jeton on the metro to Levent?

Thank you very much for your answers.

Just a quick clarification - to determine the number of tokens I need to buy: we will be traveling from the Eminonu tram stop to Levent - do I have to have a jeton for the tram to Kabatas and then another jeton for the funicular to Taksim and then another jeton on the metro to Levent?

A jeton gets you onto the platform at the tram-stop, but you part with the jeton in the platform's turnstile in order to do so.

These are 3 separate systems, IIRC you have to leave the tram platform at Kabitas to access the funicular, and again to access the metro. So I suspect you'd need three each. But don't buy too many in advance in case I'm wrong, or in case your plans change during the day.

An Istanbulkart (electronic travel card which you load with credit) can save you a little on a timed connected journey like this, but not of you break your journey for a coffee or a wander, and in any case it's probably not worth the grief for a one-off.

But I'm no expert.

BTW, to access the platform at Eminonou you take the subway under the road near the Galata Bridge just the same as folk who simply want to cross the road, but then go up the exit half-way along that subway, the tram-stop is in an island in the middle of the road.

Edited by John Bull

An Istanbulkart (electronic travel card which you load with credit) can save you a little on a timed connected journey like this, but not of you break your journey for a coffee or a wander, and in any case it's probably not worth the grief for a one-off.

If the machines at Eminönü are working properly (big "if" ;)), it's just as easy to buy an Istanbulkart as tokens. They would end up saving money even just taking one round trip from Eminönü to Levent, especially since several people can share one card, which means cheaper fares for everyone (although only the first person gets the further discounted transfer fares, unless things have changed). The only thing is they probably won't be able to load the card with exactly the amount of credit they'll need for the day, so there will be some left over. Which they can save for the next trip to Istanbul, or give to someone else who can use it.

Here's a good description and map of the port area where cruise ships dock:

http://www.turkeytravelplanner.com/go/Istanbul/Transport/yolcu_salonu.html

We are disembarking our ship on 19th July at Istanbul, and the guide for a tour we have arranged is meeting us at the Guest Terminal. We will have several suitcases, so will there be porters available and is the Guest Terminal close by?

We are disembarking our ship on 19th July at Istanbul, and the guide for a tour we have arranged is meeting us at the Guest Terminal. We will have several suitcases, so will there be porters available and is the Guest Terminal close by?

The cruise ships dock in a line starting near the Galata bridge. It's difficult to say how close you'll be to the Terminal, as it completely depends on where your ship docks in the "line". I haven't seen porters, but then I haven't looked for them.

...An Istanbulkart (electronic travel card which you load with credit) can save you a little on a timed connected journey like this, but not of you break your journey for a coffee or a wander, and in any case it's probably not worth the grief for a one-off.

But I'm no expert.

BTW, to access the platform at Eminonou you take the subway under the road near the Galata Bridge just the same as folk who simply want to cross the road, but then go up the exit half-way along that subway, the tram-stop is in an island in the middle of the road.

We too used the Istanbulkart to ride the tram (very easy) and the subway to cross from the Eminonou tram station to the Spice Market and the TorYul docks for a 2 hr Bosphorous Cruise (there may be more than one). And just in case the original poster is confused, the subway JB is talking about is not an underground rail system (American usage) but an underground pedestrian walkway for crossing a busy street (British usage). This Subway was interesting as it was very crowded and lined with shops selling all sorts of things. This is not a tourist market, but a place for locals to shop (drug store, toy stores, etc...).

Edited by TAC1582