What ports do you say no thanks ill stay on the ship?

vols_159

Costa Maya, there is nothing there except the typical "cruise shops" a pool and a bar. There is no beach there.

Progresso unless you are taking a tour of Mayan ruins.

Playa del Carmen. It is a rock quarry commercial port, again without a shore excursion, there is NOTHING to do.

I hate Nassau and would prefer to stay on the ship but my husband likes to get off the ship in every port so we usually walk 'downtown' and are back on the ship in an hour or less!

St Kitts is the other least favorite port of mine.

I should say that we live near Fort Lauderdale (so plenty of beaches) and have done more than 20 Caribbean cruises so that does impact how I feel about the ports. We go on the cruises more to relax and enjoy the ship rather than to visit the ports.

Marianne

None of them. I cruise for the itinerary. I can find something worthwhile at every port. Sure, I like some better than others. I might sleep in and spend less time ashore at a port of call I wasn't thrilled by. But I ALWAYS get off the ship at every port.

PS: I find it odd when people make comments like: "If you don't book an excursion, there is nothing to do there," or conversely, "I love it because there is a great shopping area right at the pier." Maybe I'm misinterpreting such comments, but it makes it sound like people are cruising just to duty-free shop. I want to see the sights, the geography, the culture... If you don't book a tour in Dominica, you'll be back on board the ship in 20 minutes. It's a very undeveloped island with minimal shopping. But get away from the pier and...OMG...it's GORGEOUS!! I really prefer the less developed islands. The modern ones all seem the same. (How many Diamond's International do I really need to browse on one vacation?) On the flip-side, a New Englander doesn't get to hike in a rain forest, swim with sea turtles or sting rays, visit Mayan ruins or see black sand beaches every day.

Edited by printingchick

Sydney - but only because we live here :D

For any visitors to Sydney I really couldn't advise you to stay on-board - get out there and explore the city - but if you're berthed at Circular Quay I guess you get to see the Bridge and the Opera House without lifting a finger :p