What ports do you say no thanks ill stay on the ship?

vols_159

To momof meg.

Livorno itself.

Have been to Florence & Pisa many times on land vacations. Am merely referring to Livorno itself which, IMO, doesn't have great individuality. It does have a lovely piazza where onecan to stretch on'e legs, an interesting covered shopping area and a fantastic creative arts centre. But not enough to get me off the ship itself unless I were antsy or using Livorno as a getaway spot.

I wish I could say many times-once for me, but I do hope next time is a land vacation, so I may not even see Livornio.

I also want to go to Quebec. MY gg grandfather was French-Canadian and moved from Quebec to Missouri during the civil War of all things. I have been to Ontario, Nova Scotia and a couple of other provinces but not Quebec and that is where I have heritage.

We are doing those 2 wineries in Ensenada. It was cheap-$35 a person for the tour, so we said we may as well. I doubt we will be going back anytime soon,so it is okay-lol! Airfare is a big chunk of the budget.

We did the winery tour once. The best part was the crackers.

For me, Acapulco, Montego Bay, and Nassau

Well, I've expressed my opinion about Jamaica, but if you want to be beaten up by the rah-rah-rah Jamaica cheerleaders who get snarky if you don't love Jamaica like they do, then here's the thread for you:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1485967&page=11

I checked out your link and all I can say from that thread is, thank goodness a certain someone is no longer a CC representative. :rolleyes: What happened to him? :confused:

Naples we will never go to that City again. It is not safe at all, we were attacked by beggars as they tried to take our food.

Last time we visited that port we got on the hydrofoil to Capri beautiful island.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Lots of people say San Juan, and I'm wondering why. If you depart from San Juan, departure port is not a pretty place, but if you stop there en-route from Florida or someplace, the port is in Old San Juan, and if you don't go out and explore this you're missing a lot. Tons of great restaurants, bars, clubs, terrific architecture, old town plazas, narrow streets, just a lots to see and do. Go to LaBombanera, get a Majorca, go to Dan's bar and live with the locals drinking Presidente, go to Tantra and eat India food and have a Mojito, go to La Barraccania where the Pina Colado was invented, go to the Dragonfly or Tros Cent Onze or The Parrot Club for upscale party time with some of the most beautiful people you've ever seen, go see Fort Moro or the other fort there, etc etc etc. Or sit on the ship and watch the pool. That's fun...

Lots of people say San Juan, and I'm wondering why. If you depart from San Juan, departure port is not a pretty place, but if you stop there en-route from Florida or someplace, the port is in Old San Juan, and if you don't go out and explore this you're missing a lot. Tons of great restaurants, bars, clubs, terrific architecture, old town plazas, narrow streets, just a lots to see and do. Go to LaBombanera, get a Majorca, go to Dan's bar and live with the locals drinking Presidente, go to Tantra and eat India food and have a Mojito, go to La Barraccania where the Pina Colado was invented, go to the Dragonfly or Tros Cent Onze or The Parrot Club for upscale party time with some of the most beautiful people you've ever seen, go see Fort Moro or the other fort there, etc etc etc. Or sit on the ship and watch the pool. That's fun...

We spent 2 days in San Juan post cruise but that was 13 years ago. I want to go back.

We're headed to Falmouth and I'm not looking forward to it at all. We've done the Ochos Rios attractions on land trips. They were nice, but been there, done that.

Hopefully, the shops will be open so we can walk around a bit.

Barbara

Why do so many say Nassau? We went last year and it was AWESOME. The water was CRYSTAL CLEAR and the beach was white and sandy. I would EASILY get off at Nassau and go to the beach again.

Surely someone can answer my question. :confused:

Why do so many say Nassau? We went last year and it was AWESOME. The water was CRYSTAL CLEAR and the beach was white and sandy. I would EASILY get off at Nassau and go to the beach again.

The winter months can be rather chilly so there really isn't very much to do and not everyone likes beaches and water related activities.

For us liking Nassau depends on the time of the year. ;)

LuLu

~~~~

Surely someone can answer my question. :confused:

I only stopped in Nassau on one cruise and had a good time there. Visited Atlantis, went through the Aquarium, etc.

Others may have another opinion, but the problem with Naussau is that there isn't much diversity there. It's a "been there/done that" port of call. If all you want to do is visit the beach, I guess it's fine. But most other ports have a wider variety of choices, such as rain forests, volcanoes, botanical gardens, historical sites, underground caverns, etc.

Edited by printingchick

I only stopped in Nassau on one cruise and had a good time there. Visited Atlantis, went through the Aquarium, etc.

Others may have another opinion, but the problem with Naussau is that there isn't much diversity there. It's a "been there/done that" port of call. If all you want to do is visit the beach, I guess it's fine. But most other ports have a wider variety of choices, such as rain forests, volcanoes, botanical gardens, historical sites, underground caverns, etc.

they do have a nice zoo too-but still we have been many times. I am not interested in going back to the zoo or Atlantis since I have done them.

Thanks for the answers. I get it now. I grew up on Long Island and LOVE the beach, so I can see it now, if you are not a beach person or "have done everything there is to do" which I guess isn't much, the port wouldn't be that attractive to some.

I haven't cruised enough to completely rule out any port, but I certainly won't bother getting off the ship at RCL's private island of CocoCay any more unless I'm with the grandkids or somebody else who REALLY wants to go.

The first few times I stopped at CocoCay I could wander around to the "back" of the island and find some relative seclusion and quiet shaded hammocks, and have a relaxing peaceful afternoon. Now RCL has extended the developed area around there and it's much harder to find any kind of quiet or seclusion. And the food they cook on the island (frozen hamburger patties and hot dogs) just does not excite me at all. So I'd just as soon stay on the ship and enjoy the quiet there.

The only thing I'd still like to see in Nassau is the zoo, but after that I won't care about getting off there, either. DH and I do like to wander around and explore new places, but most of the Caribbean islands are not the kind of places where you want to wander too far off the beaten path. It's just not all that safe for tourists.