What ports do you say no thanks ill stay on the ship?

vols_159

Aruba

Puerto Madryn, Argentina

Miami

St Barts (more expensive than Grand Cayman - DH said he would split a quiche with me again there, we'll see :o ... but if you want to see some expensive yachts - unbelievable!!!! :eek:)

Great Harbour, B.V.I. (unless to snorkel, did not like Foxy's)

Hiva Oa

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

LoveIICruise what didn't you like about Argentina?

Perhaps I spoke to soon, we did not have an excursion booked there since we had penguin excursions booked elsewhere (this is the only thing that interested us in this port). When we went ashore, a very industrial port at the time, and walked forever to get anywhere, we finally found a nice restaurant open and we were seated outside with menus. We each used the restroom and 25 minutes later no one had even taken our food order or drink order! Feeling bad that they would most likely have to clean the dishes/glassware on the table that we didn't use, we left a cash tip and left (this all happened after trying to flag down many servers - and I wouldn't say language was an issue since we get by with what we know in French in Spanish in other parts of the world).

I have heard of many ports being missed on a South American cruise, so you definitely want to make sure you have penguin tours booked at multiple locations (if that is what you want).

I think next time we would book an excursion here and give it a second chance.

But at the time, we were traveling with family - they also didn't book an excursion in this port and did something different than us and didn't like it. Back on board we laughed that the best part of this port was leaving it.

Another place we ported in Argentina was Ushuaia. It was beautiful.

• 4 months later...
Why do so many say Nassau? We went last year and it was AWESOME. The water was CRYSTAL CLEAR and the beach was white and sandy. I would EASILY get off at Nassau and go to the beach again.

The weekend cruises that leave from Orlando, Fort Lauderdale and Miami usually stop at Nassau. And many of the people on "weekend cruises" are Florida residents (they can do a weekend cruise without taking vacation time from work, plus cruiselines often give FL residents a discount).

For FLoridians, beaches and sunshine are normal. Therefore, the beaches of Nassau aren't going to be a must-see, for us. If the town falls short in other sights or activities, then getting off the ship and wandering through a bunch of salesman offering imported products isn't that appealing (to me, anyway).

I've been to Nassau twice and after viewing it from the ship's upper deck, I couldn't get motivated to disembark either time. A person could visit Atlantis, but that's not really an authentic Bahamian activity, and there are better waterparks in the U.S., I've been told, and for less $$$.

But to answer the original poster's question, the port I wouldn't waste time on again is Cozumel. Well, maybe I should say the TOWN I wouldn't visit again is Cozumel. We left the port shopping market and taxied to downtown. There, street vendors marketed to us continuously, and most had dental problems, birth defects, or obvious signs of poverty. And the town itself appears very low-income. I felt like they expected than anyone who can pay for a cruise should also be able to afford their "souvenirs". I felt extremely guilty for not buying from them (but all my money went for the cruise itself, which is why I couldn't do a formal activity or tour!). All in all, I felt like a bad person for being there without buying things, and for wasting money on cruise tickets while the Cozumel residents are wearing stained/ripped clothing and missing teeth or eyes or shoes.

I wish I could've done a cenotes tour. But the health issues I observed in Cozumel made me too sad/guilty to want to return there.

I've heard similar things about Haiti & Jamaica but can't speak from experience. It's somewhat puzzling that countries in such desirable locations have such income disparity. It's as if they aren't really able to leverage all the good qualities about their country into a good standard of living for themselves.

Edited by styxfire

Western Caribbean, Cozumel - We live in Califonia, I can go to a touristy city in Mexico anytime, bad beached

And certainly Jamaica never again, happy we saw the falls, but, so happy to get back on the ship! Thank you CC members for the advice to do a ship tour.

Southern - Tobago, worse than Jamaica for feeling safe. It was new when we sailed, possibly things have changed?

Puerto Rico is amazing, sad to see it getting bad reviews

Edited by SMerritt

ive heard Jamaica is horrible but whats the problem with Cozumel? ill be there in a month and am very excited to visit. thanks!!

We've been to Cozumel many times and really enjoy the snorkeling there.

Also did a fun, recent Bar Hop Crawl on a bus to the West Side...Beaches are phenomenal...although too rough for swimming usually.

I am not a Nassau fan, agree with prior posts, not much to do. I think for many people it is when you have been to the port so many times, you just know what to expect. Many ports are great to see over and over again, some places once or twice is more than enough. I am a believer in exploring for yourself and making your own opinions, that is what traveling is about.

In the Caribbean, we do not leave the ship at any port in Jamaica.... been there, done that. We often bypass Dominica as we've been enough times to have few things we wish to do ashore and sometimes the same for St. Thomas. We don't usually bother tendering in Grand Cayman. We aren't divers so there isn't enough that interests us to make the tendering worth it particularly if there are other ships in port.

On the other hand, we never miss a chance to go ashore in Curacao, Bonaire and Aruba no matter how many times we have visited. Same for Key West, St. Bart's, Barbados, Cozumel, St. Maarten and a number of other islands. :)

Edited by sail7seas

The weekend cruises that leave from Orlando, Fort Lauderdale and Miami usually stop at Nassau. And many of the people on "weekend cruises" are Florida residents (they can do a weekend cruise without taking vacation time from work, plus cruiselines often give FL residents a discount).

For FLoridians, beaches and sunshine are normal. Therefore, the beaches of Nassau aren't going to be a must-see, for us. If the town falls short in other sights or activities, then getting off the ship and wandering through a bunch of salesman offering imported products isn't that appealing (to me, anyway).

I've been to Nassau twice and after viewing it from the ship's upper deck, I couldn't get motivated to disembark either time. A person could visit Atlantis, but that's not really an authentic Bahamian activity, and there are better waterparks in the U.S., I've been told, and for less $$$.

But to answer the original poster's question, the port I wouldn't waste time on again is Cozumel. Well, maybe I should say the TOWN I wouldn't visit again is Cozumel. We left the port shopping market and taxied to downtown. There, street vendors marketed to us continuously, and most had dental problems, birth defects, or obvious signs of poverty. And the town itself appears very low-income. I felt like they expected than anyone who can pay for a cruise should also be able to afford their "souvenirs". I felt extremely guilty for not buying from them (but all my money went for the cruise itself, which is why I couldn't do a formal activity or tour!). All in all, I felt like a bad person for being there without buying things, and for wasting money on cruise tickets while the Cozumel residents are wearing stained/ripped clothing and missing teeth or eyes or shoes.

I wish I could've done a cenotes tour. But the health issues I observed in Cozumel made me too sad/guilty to want to return there.

I've heard similar things about Haiti & Jamaica but can't speak from experience. It's somewhat puzzling that countries in such desirable locations have such income disparity. It's as if they aren't really able to leverage all the good qualities about their country into a good standard of living for themselves.

It is nearly impossible to improve the living standards when the main objects of the corrupt governing powers are to steal all the money and keep the people uneducated, poor, and beholding to them for their meager survival.

None. For me the point of traveling to actually experience the places I am traveling to. I do a lot of research and can always find something of interest. I have been to over 50 ports of call, some as many as six times but am nowhere close to bored, or "over" any of them.

I agree :D If you do you're research, you're bound to find something that interests you!

Cozumel is great if you haven't been there before. The town is one huge shopping complex with lots of silver shops. If you are into shopping you will enjoy it. Some if the excursions are nice or you can take a cab to some of their local beaches for the day. Their National Park is a 10 minute cab ride from the port and is a great way to spend the day. Nice beach, restaurants, pool and shows that are included in the admission price.

The thing I like best about this port is what I call the parade of ships leaving the port at dusk or in the dark...it's a great sight to see. One by one the ship leave and go off into the sunset. Make sure you are up on deck to see it.

The port is VERY crowded because of the large number of ships that are in port daily. I once counted 10 ships.....that's a lot of people in one port at a time.

The park is called Chankanaab. Check out the information about the park on Cruise Critic or Trip Advisor. The taxi fare was about $18 and we split the cost with another couple. It was easy to get cabs back to the ship from the park. I only planned to spend a few hours at the park but we were there from 9AM to 5PM because we were enjoying it so much.

Enjoy your day in Cozumel

Marion

This is a great thread!! It's a wonder the Western Caribbean cruises sell!!

I'm going to add one most people like....St.Martin. Next time, we will take a cab to the location where the incoming jets fly in. At least that looked like fun!! I am a major shopper and I couldn't stand shopping in St Martin.

In Europe---this was our worst---Tangier, Morocco. But...I know others who loved it.