What ports do you say no thanks ill stay on the ship?

vols_159

Victoria BC.

Don't get me wrong. It's a lovely city. But we live in Seattle and can go there easily if we want, and I'd rather go when I have time to do the things I want to do and not be dealing with hordes of cruise ship passengers. It's only on the cruise as a PVSA requirement, and only about 7 PM - midnight on the last night of the cruise. To us, it's just not worth it. The ship is nearly empty, so we can enjoy a leisurely dinner, sit in the hot tub, get our packing done, etc.

wow I'm surprised to see Santa Barbara on the list, I grew up there and I STILL like going to see the different sights. Also the best ice cream on the planet (McConnell's) is made there, so it is always a required stop :D

Thanks to those posters who said "why" certain ports are no-go's, it helps explain to newbies like me why the same ports show on the 'no' lists.

For me it's Any Jamaican ports.

Same here. That is why I try to avoid any ships that stop in Jamaica. Having been on over twenty cruises, I can honestly say that I have never felt unsafe, BUT some of the characters in Jamaica really made me feel uncomfortable and I spent over twenty years when I was younger as a bouncer and wrestled with the best (or worst) of them.

It's nice to see that everyone has different tastes. I'm one of the people who can't believe "(fill in any port of call)" made someone's "no-go" list. Just when you think you seen it all, you can find something else to do, you just have to want to. We get off every port and find something to do. Just remember when someone doesn't like a port...there's someone that does. So for noobs out there...just because someone has a "no go" on their list, don't avoid the port....you maybe the one that likes it.:)

Mine Nassau Cozumel. They are on nearly every Eastern or western sailing! Ill stay on the ship!

My person opinion only - Ills de Margarita - The so called beach is at the end of the town's sewer outfall and stinks - Quay side stalls sell poor quality knock offs at high prices - Why Cruise Lines go there is still a mystery to me.

My person opinion only - Ills de Margarita - The so called beach is at the end of the town's sewer outfall and stinks - Quay side stalls sell poor quality knock offs at high prices - Why Cruise Lines go there is still a mystery to me.

They no longer do that I know of.... :confused:

LuLu

~~~~

I've never stayed on at any port.

Even though I've been to Nassau 9 times, there is always interesting to see or do for me.

I cruise for the ports, not the ship.

I cruise for both Ship and the ports of call.

I'm not spending all that money to travel all that distance -to sit on the ship

and don't do at least something ashore! :cool:

If worse comes to worst, take a ship's tour for safety's sake -even if it is pricey!

Heck, it's only money and we only live once!

I don't get why so many listed San Juan

- that is an interesting old city.

I so agree! :)

Geez, we could wander around Old San Juan

gawking at the architecture and old Spanish cultural feel, for hours

but it's a free world and you're welcome to stay on board.

It helps to bump up the ship's economy, instead!

We've done an annual "Friends and Family Winter Caribbean Cruise" for over 40 years now. Started when I was a kid and went with my parents. There are just so many Caribbean ports, and some of them we've been to dozens of times so, we don't even get off the ship more often than not. . Not that we don't like a particular port, but after you've done the tours, shopped, beached, etc etc over the years, the best time to enjoy the ship's amenities is when it's in a port and everyone else is ashore. Most of the time now, we choose a ship or line, the date, the price, and really don't even look at the itinerary.

DH and I love cruising, we love the ships, and we love being in the open seas. The ship is the main reason we cruise, the ports are secondary. We do have a couple of ports we like - St. Thomas, St. Marteen, Cozumel, San Jaun, and the private islands. We do not care for Nassau or Falmouth, Jamaica.

We are doing a B2B in July on the Allure. We may or may not get off in Nassau, I have stayed on the ship in that port before. If we get off, it will only be for an hour or so to walk into town for a bit. The last time we were in Falmouth, the shops were not open; vendors were selling their wares on the sidewalks. I would like to see their shops. We will not leave the gated area. After this cruise, Falmouth is another port we could enjoy from the ship.

We do enjoy St. Thomas, St. Marteen, Cozumel, San Juan, and the private islands in the Caribbean.

I cruise for both Ship and the ports of call.

I'm not spending all that money to travel all that distance -to sit on the ship

and don't do at least something ashore! :cool:

If worse comes to worst, take a ship's tour for safety's sake -even if it is pricey!

Heck, it's only money and we only live once!

It's ironic to me...because this coming cruise (Legend in Nov) we chose because we want to spend lots of time on the ship...LOL. We'll be getting off in Cozumel (heading to Nachi's) and in Roatan (Island tour) but will be bypassing Grand Caymen (been at least 7 times and just don't want to :p) and Belize (never been so fearful in my life even compared to Jamaica which also is on my "never again" list) We even booked a balcony because we knew we were planning on spending a lot of time on it! Variety...it's definitely the spice of life :D

I almost have to get off at every port because I start to go a little stir crazy. For that reason any itinerary that includes Jamaica is a nonstarter for me.

A few years ago, I was on a cruise that was supposed to be Grand Cayman, Isla Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. Because of a Hurricane, it was changed to Grand Cayman, Ocho Rios, and Nassau, which by the sounds of it is one of the worst possible itineraries. Jamaica is just not worth the hassle. I will say that after Jamaica, Nassau was an absolute delight.

I've never been to most of the places described, but I just saw a short documentary about the McAfee/Belize drama, and a lot of the focus was how safe Belize is ... have things changed, or are there different areas from the cruise ports that they were saying were safe?