Seeking info from recent Breakaway Cruisers

Rocket J

Hi all. I am sailing on the 8Sep BA cruise and am hoping to get advise on several questions/concerns from those of you who have recently returned from your sailing.

There are 6 of us. Two cabins are spa balcony on starboard side. Can you tell me please if the BA docked portside or starboard side at Kings Wharf on your sailing? I hope portside so we will have a view over the harbor.

The third cabin in our party is a Haven suite. Can those in a Haven suite invite non-Haven occupants to enjoy the Haven facilities? (Thank Havens I got that out in one breath!)

As a somewhat inexperienced cruiser, (not since the mid-90s --- its a whole new world!), I've learned so much from all of your reviews about the BA. I am on the fence about getting a VIBE pass for the week. I don't plan to use the pools or lounge around in the pool areas. Based on your experiences with the BA summertime cruises, would you think the 8Sep sailing (kids back in school) would be less crowded, and offer plenty of vacant areas to lay out? Aside from the fact it is a more private, adults-only area which has two hottubs, free fruit (?) - are there other benefits which aren't found elsewhere?

Did any of you rent motor scooters on Bermuda? We are thinking of doing that so we can explore on our own terms. I had looked at Smatts and Oleander for rentals; I hadn't checked on the other vendors. Do any of you have recommendations of whom to use (or stay away from)? I see some of them have locations at the docks - did any of you rent there and find no problems -- or was it crowded with long lines waiting for your scooter? (I assume it just might be best to simply leave the ship after the first crowd leaves and all will be smooth sailing!).

Being at work now, my company prohibits access to some sites so I can't search. Can you recommend which cruise cams to look at which feature anything Breakaway and Bermuda?

Thats about it for this go around. Thanks in advance to all of you who may offer answers and advice. I've not participated in the 8Sep roll call board because I think my group is going to be doing its own thing (and perhaps I'm just a bit shy :o). But having seen some faces on the board I look forward to saying hi to many of you on the cruise -- like Tiffygirl, SJNYC323 - and I might recognize pyrrhus walking down the hall.:D

Our Sept 9 cruise we were Starboard side to the pier. The year before that the port side was to the pier. Others may be able to add to this as to whether this changes.

I would urge you to NOT rent scooters. Keep in mind they drive on the LEFT side of the road. A friend of mine rented last year (against my urging not to) and said they would not do it again. The island has a lot of roundabouts (traffic circles) it is so easy to get yourself balled up as to what side of the road you need to be one.

We generally said in September. Less kids because they are in school.

There is what appears to be a nice quiet adults area (we had 5 in our group, never got there) and it sure looked inviting.

Bermuda is a beautiful island. Enjoy

Kathy

I can only add that only those who have chosen to pay for the Haven amenities can enjoy them. That is only fair and why we pay for them. You can only imagine if there was an opportunity to bring "friends ofHaven" guests what a problem that would create. I hope you are able to enjoy the Haven someday, but this is not the cruise that will make that possible.

Hi all. I am sailing on the 8Sep BA cruise and am hoping to get advise on several questions/concerns from those of you who have recently returned from your sailing.

There are 6 of us. Two cabins are spa balcony on starboard side. Can you tell me please if the BA docked portside or starboard side at Kings Wharf on your sailing? I hope portside so we will have a view over the harbor.

The third cabin in our party is a Haven suite. Can those in a Haven suite invite non-Haven occupants to enjoy the Haven facilities? (Thank Havens I got that out in one breath!)

As a somewhat inexperienced cruiser, (not since the mid-90s --- its a whole new world!), I've learned so much from all of your reviews about the BA. I am on the fence about getting a VIBE pass for the week. I don't plan to use the pools or lounge around in the pool areas. Based on your experiences with the BA summertime cruises, would you think the 8Sep sailing (kids back in school) would be less crowded, and offer plenty of vacant areas to lay out? Aside from the fact it is a more private, adults-only area which has two hottubs, free fruit (?) - are there other benefits which aren't found elsewhere?

Did any of you rent motor scooters on Bermuda? We are thinking of doing that so we can explore on our own terms. I had looked at Smatts and Oleander for rentals; I hadn't checked on the other vendors. Do any of you have recommendations of whom to use (or stay away from)? I see some of them have locations at the docks - did any of you rent there and find no problems -- or was it crowded with long lines waiting for your scooter? (I assume it just might be best to simply leave the ship after the first crowd leaves and all will be smooth sailing!).

Being at work now, my company prohibits access to some sites so I can't search. Can you recommend which cruise cams to look at which feature anything Breakaway and Bermuda?

Thats about it for this go around. Thanks in advance to all of you who may offer answers and advice. I've not participated in the 8Sep roll call board because I think my group is going to be doing its own thing (and perhaps I'm just a bit shy :o). But having seen some faces on the board I look forward to saying hi to many of you on the cruise -- like Tiffygirl, SJNYC323 - and I might recognize pyrrhus walking down the hall.:D

On July 7th sailing, we docked portside. Scooters seem fine, if you're okay with left-side driving. I've driving in UK, Ireland, and New Zealand, so have no problem with that. Next time in Bermuda will get scooters.

As for Haven, no. Only Haven guests get to enjoy the Haven. They can invite you to their cabin,, but you're not allowed in the common areas of the Haven.

SB

The ship docks on either side depending on... I don't know but it is hit or miss...now it is docked portside

Scooters.... NO NO NO.... TOO MANY horror stories here on CC.

Webcam : portbermudawebcam.com

Have fun !

NYharborcam.com. Go to the bottom and you will see all the other webcams listed including Bermuda. DH watches it all the time

Hi Kate, thanks very much! My sister was in Bermuda a few years ago and had a scooter without any problems. Sounds like things have changed. I guess it can depend upon how the wind blows with regards to how the ship docks. :) We are all looking forward to this cruise!

I can only add that only those who have chosen to pay for the Haven amenities can enjoy them. That is only fair and why we pay for them. You can only imagine if there was an opportunity to bring "friends ofHaven" guests what a problem that would create. I hope you are able to enjoy the Haven someday, but this is not the cruise that will make that possible.

flhawkeye - I certainly understand, and what you have said makes perfect sense. Yes, one of these days once the finances increase :) . It will at least be nice to see their suite.

Eric

On July 7th sailing, we docked portside. Scooters seem fine, if you're okay with left-side driving. I've driving in UK, Ireland, and New Zealand, so have no problem with that. Next time in Bermuda will get scooters.

As for Haven, no. Only Haven guests get to enjoy the Haven. They can invite you to their cabin,, but you're not allowed in the common areas of the Haven.

SB

Thank you SB! One of my ship mates had mentioned it might depend upon the wind - or perhaps if the crew does life boat drills off of whichever side they choose for that sailing. Ive driven in Australia and got accustomed quickly to driving on the left. We even mastered the dreaded hook turn in Melbourne where you turn right from your left lane into their right lane. We will need to give it serious thought.

The ship docks on either side depending on... I don't know but it is hit or miss...now it is docked portside

Scooters.... NO NO NO.... TOO MANY horror stories here on CC.

Webcam : portbermudawebcam.com

Have fun !

Sounds like that is how it will go - hit or miss regarding the docking. I've read some of the CC posts on the scooters and have tried to rationalize they are all isolated instances. Time to discuss with my friends and take a vote. Thanks very much for your input.

Eric

Pretty sure most of the questions were answered above.

To get even more data, scroll down through postings from the past two weeks and you will find answers to questions you did not even know you had.

Thanks GaryCarla -- there is definitely a lot of good info to read. Eric

Which side the ship docks on, can also depend on which side they wish to do maintenance such as painting, etc. on....so they will alternate sides to meet their needs. You can easily see which side they are on by viewing the Breakaway's bridge webcam. When you see 'the sea'....they are docked portside. When you see the Celebrity Summit, they are docked Starboard....or get a good view from the port webcam and see from that perspective as was mentioned in an earlier post.

I hope you say hi to me as well! Just say no to the whole scooter thing and say yes to Nalagh's sail away from Bermuda's not wine but rum punch and cheese party! :D

I hope you say hi to me as well! Just say no to the whole scooter thing and say yes to Nalagh's sail away from Bermuda's not wine but rum punch and cheese party! :D

Nalagh - that is very kind. Thank you so much for the invitation.

Hi,

Feel free to drop in on the roll call anytime, we understand that some may not want to 'meet' but the roll calls can provide some great information. No need to be shy...you are behind a key board so you are just fine.

Now if you and your group attend the martini tastings and margarita tastings...i will be there so be sure to stop and say hello. I will be the crazy one in the group so i should be fairly easy to spot!:p

I've been tracking the Bermuda dockings since the July 3rd arrival at Bermuda. Of the dockings on that time, 5 have been to Port side, and 2 to Starboard.

Landing dates in Bermuda:

7/3 - S

7/10 - P

7/17 - P

7/24 - P

7/31 - P

8/7 - S

8/14 - P

I've been tracking the Bermuda dockings since the July 3rd arrival at Bermuda. Of the dockings on that time, 5 have been to Port side, and 2 to Starboard.

7/3 - S

7/10 - P

7/17 - P

7/24 - P

7/31 - P

8/7 - S

8/14 - P

The facts, and nothing but.

Thanks for posting. Now if we can get that word to the others that will be asking every few days "forever".

@Nalagh - LOL!! you are too much! :D:D Definitely planning on having a blast at your sailaway!!:p

7/3 - S

7/10 - P

7/17 - P

7/24 - P

7/31 - P

8/7 - S

8/14 - P

We were on the 6/5 Bermuda arrival.......S

.....is there anyway to find out what the weather conditions were at the time of docking? Wonder if that would lend any insight as to why the captain pulls in one way or the other.

:confused:

wasiii

Archived