US Airways Biz Class ?

brazilgirl

I am researching airfare for our next cruise ( June 2014) and have found a really great deal on US Airways .

I have never flown with them before and have a few questions.

1 ) I know there is the AA merger issue in the air... Will it have any effect on the future?

2) Any ideas why the business class is so much cheqper than all other airlines?? ( $1000s in some cases)

3) What is business class like? Lie flat?

I have flown business on TAM , Swiss and Air China for comparison.

The flight I am looking at is

GRU/CLT ( Flight 803 on 767)

2 hr 50 min connection time

CLT/SFO (Flight 463 on 321)

Return flights are same route , same metal with connection time in Charlotte of 2 hr 26 min.

Never been through Charlotte before.

Thanks for any thoughts or comments!

Unlike US' A330s the Envoy cabin on the 767s features angle-flat (not horizontal) seats, which are not beloved by US frequent flyers (complaints about narrowness - reminiscent of American's business class seats on their 767s a few years ago.) In-seat AVOD is now standard.

The US domestic portion will be in an A321 (2 x 2) and sold as domestic first class. US doesn't offer any in-flight entertainment on these flights, but in our experience service is pretty good.

So it's not European-standard business/first, but if the price is okay it certainly won't kill you.

As far as the AA merger is concerned, as you may know this is now being contested by the US Department of Justice. Personally I think the merger is dead, but in any case nothing significant is likely to happen that would jeopardize your flights next year. US isn't going out of business if the merger doesn't happen.

More than likely that domestic flight is a very ordinary buisness class situation.

When investigating business class for international flights it is necessary to know the type of aircraft, it business class layout and the age of the seating.

I would never ever assume that a lie flat seat is on offer.

As far as the merger is concerned, at this point we know nothing and it is impossible to make any sort of prediction.

Thank you both for the reponses.

As I mentioned , the international portion is on a 767. As Gardyloo has mentioned , the seats apparently are not as nice as the Envoy product on the A330 used on the European routes. Such is life! For the price , it will still be worthwhile.

Any comments on the Charlotte airport? I have read good things in general.

The domestic leg is over 3.5 hours , so looks like we will get complete meal service , which looks reasonable.

Any general comments on US Airways? Appreciate the input!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

I just looked at prices for next June and frankly I'd jump on that US fare in a New York minute.

Transcontinental service on US in first class is fairly basic. You'll get a hot meal (usually 2 main courses available) and a cookie or some other kind of snack before landing. We've found the food to be okay - occasionally good, occasionally poor. I'd imagine that the westbound meal will be better than eastbound as CLT is one of US's fortress hubs and the kitchen there caters a lot of meals. You'll get breakfast on the SFO-CLT leg, also hit and miss.

As I said, no in-flight entertainment on the US domestic flight, so use some of your savings to invest in a DVD player or some movies for your tablet or phone.

I just looked at prices for next June and frankly I'd jump on that US fare in a New York minute.

Transcontinental service on US in first class is fairly basic. You'll get a hot meal (usually 2 main courses available) and a cookie or some other kind of snack before landing. We've found the food to be okay - occasionally good, occasionally poor. I'd imagine that the westbound meal will be better than eastbound as CLT is one of US's fortress hubs and the kitchen there caters a lot of meals. You'll get breakfast on the SFO-CLT leg, also hit and miss.

As I said, no in-flight entertainment on the US domestic flight, so use some of your savings to invest in a DVD player or some movies for your tablet or phone.

Have already bought them , couldn't believe the prices! Smiling from ear to ear! Will def download some movies on our tablets for the domestic flight. Looking forward to trying the US Airways product..if they dontinue with these prices bye bye to United and TAM which are usually my go tos when flying to the US.

Did you price out AA? They serve GRU via DFW on using a brand new 777-300 with new true lie flat seats that get rave reviews. (essentially, the exact same J seat on CX). From DFW, there are plenty of connections onto SFO.

Obviously, too late for this trip, But maybe next time.

Edited by jsmeeker

Did you price out AA? They serve GRU via DFW on using a brand new 777-300 with new true lie flat seats that get rave reviews. (essentially, the exact same J seat on CX). From DFW, there are plenty of connections onto SFO.

Yes , thousands and thousands of dollars more expensive , crazy! Especially since we are a family of 5 ! US Airways had another nice surprise - reduced airfare for my 14 yr old son ( unheard of!). Reduced youth fare goes up to age 14 !

We always do the UA flight to ORD on the new 777 ( albeit in Economy plus) , nice planes. But the great fare , give me the 170 degree recline , on the 767 , no prob. :)

• 2 months later...
Unlike US' A330s the Envoy cabin on the 767s features angle-flat (not horizontal) seats, which are not beloved by US frequent flyers (complaints about narrowness - reminiscent of American's business class seats on their 767s a few years ago.) In-seat AVOD is now standard.

The US domestic portion will be in an A321 (2 x 2) and sold as domestic first class. US doesn't offer any in-flight entertainment on these flights, but in our experience service is pretty good.

So it's not European-standard business/first, but if the price is okay it certainly won't kill you.

As far as the AA merger is concerned, as you may know this is now being contested by the US Department of Justice. Personally I think the merger is dead, but in any case nothing significant is likely to happen that would jeopardize your flights next year. US isn't going out of business if the merger doesn't happen.

We have had an equipment change and our flight will be on the A330 in June. Very pleased. We got such a great price.

We are going to New Orleans in 18 days on US Airways as well , but sadly , still on the 767.

Any advice for the following issue? I was going to credit my miles on US to my UA Mileage Plus account. But now that the AA merger has gone through , not quite sure what to do. We will be flying on US Airways metal in December ( GRU/MSY ) and then again in June ( GRU/SFO). Should I open a Dividend Miles account? A little lost right now.

We have had an equipment change and our flight will be on the A330 in June. Very pleased. We got such a great price.

We are going to New Orleans in 18 days on US Airways as well , but sadly , still on the 767.

Any advice for the following issue? I was going to credit my miles on US to my UA Mileage Plus account. But now that the AA merger has gone through , not quite sure what to do. We will be flying on US Airways metal in December ( GRU/MSY ) and then again in June ( GRU/SFO). Should I open a Dividend Miles account? A little lost right now.

I would definitely open a US account and credit the miles there. Worst case is that they'll turn into AAdvantage miles after the merger.

Just as an aside, regarding US Airways' mileage plan, US currently has a bonus offer running for miles you buy through their website - a 100% bonus, i.e., buy 50,000 miles and get 50,000 as a bonus. After you do the math it works out to around US$0.018 per mile, thus 100,000 miles for around $1800. Considering you can turn right around and redeem those miles on any Star Alliance member for a business class round trip between N. and S. America, or N/S America to Europe, it's not a bad deal.

Having said that, I don't know if the offer is open to residents of South America, but if interested it's worth a look.

Just as an aside, regarding US Airways' mileage plan, US currently has a bonus offer running for miles you buy through their website - a 100% bonus, i.e., buy 50,000 miles and get 50,000 as a bonus.

I am not seeing this offer. There was one, but it ended 10/15/2013.

Edited by 6rugrats

I would definitely open a US account and credit the miles there. Worst case is that they'll turn into AAdvantage miles after the merger.

Just as an aside, regarding US Airways' mileage plan, US currently has a bonus offer running for miles you buy through their website - a 100% bonus, i.e., buy 50,000 miles and get 50,000 as a bonus. After you do the math it works out to around US$0.018 per mile, thus 100,000 miles for around $1800. Considering you can turn right around and redeem those miles on any Star Alliance member for a business class round trip between N. and S. America, or N/S America to Europe, it's not a bad deal.

Having said that, I don't know if the offer is open to residents of South America, but if interested it's worth a look.

Gardyloo , thank you! I was considering opening an Aegean Air acct and trying to get lifetime Star Alliance status , but since half my New Orleans ticket was paid for with miles , I will only accrue 12,000 miles on this flight. By the time I fly in June , no more Star Alliance , so doesn't look like my plan will work.

Will open a Dividend Miles account and will look into the 100 percent offer , sounds tempting! I have a LAN acct , but I have such a hard time redeeming with them that I don't think they will be a good option to accrue more mikes with in the future ( when US becomes part of OneWorld). I actually have 154,000 miles on LAN to burn by the end of next month before they expire.

Thanks for the advice!

I wouldn't get too excited about plane types yet - your flights are a ways off. What I WOULD do, though, is get familiar with the plane types and good seat locations (via something like seatguru). Select seats you like (if possible). Keep checking those seats on the USAirways/or AA by that time websites. If something changes, go back and redo your seats. I've had to do that a few times on different airlines. When a plane type changes, sometimes an airline will, for some reason, randomly re-assign seats….

I wouldn't get too excited about plane types yet - your flights are a ways off. What I WOULD do, though, is get familiar with the plane types and good seat locations (via something like seatguru). Select seats you like (if possible). Keep checking those seats on the USAirways/or AA by that time websites. If something changes, go back and redo your seats. I've had to do that a few times on different airlines. When a plane type changes, sometimes an airline will, for some reason, randomly re-assign seats….

I check frequently and always update my seat assignments. I am fairly confident about the A330 as it will be during the World Cup here in Brazil and the US airways rep I spoke to today while purchasing an additional ticket said they would be using this aircraft due to the big event. But you never know...they do like to swith things up :)

I have the Seatguru app on my phone and use it and comments on travel forums to pick my seats.

I just flew Envoy last month round trip Philly/Barcelona. The seats did go flat, and were decently comfortable. IF you have a lot of extra pounds on you, yes they were be tighter fitting. Had two meals both directions, and unlimited beverages, snacks and fresh fruit. Very comfortable flights.

I've gotten several first class domestic flights, last was August MSY/DCA. (Needed the seats to get 4 on the nearly full flight). Unlimited beverages and a snack.

I pay no where near the "normal" prices, so have a different opinion. Service has always been very good, with no complaints.

If you are looking for more comfort, these seats may be the best option.

I just flew Envoy last month round trip Philly/Barcelona. The seats did go flat, and were decently comfortable. IF you have a lot of extra pounds on you, yes they were be tighter fitting. Had two meals both directions, and unlimited beverages, snacks and fresh fruit. Very comfortable flights.

I've gotten several first class domestic flights, last was August MSY/DCA. (Needed the seats to get 4 on the nearly full flight). Unlimited beverages and a snack.

I pay no where near the "normal" prices, so have a different opinion. Service has always been very good, with no complaints.

If you are looking for more comfort, these seats may be the best option.

Glad you enjoyed your experience...good to hear the product was enjoyable. We have already purchased the seats and were quite happy with the price. Fortunately , I think the fit will be fine . :) thanks again for the input.

You're SURE you on a 767? US Airways Web site (at least the U.S. site) shows 767s for GIG-CLT (flight 801), but A330-200 for GRU-CLT (803), the former being an overnight flight and the latter being a daytime flight. We've flown both planes, from GIG to CLT (they used the A330 briefly). Even the 767 was fine, but the A330 certainly better (equivalent to 777-300 on AA we flew from DFW to GRU recently). Seatguru (certainly has its faults) agrees.

Biggest downside we found with US biz class is that you get just two checked bags 70 lbs. each, rather than 3, like you would in biz class on AA, DL or UA. Skycap at SEA told us US had no curbside check-in, but that may not be a factor for you. I agree that CLT is an easy airport to navigate. You can use the US Airways clubs since you're flying intl. biz class. As noted, domestic first class, as with most airlines, isn't special, and with US you get no inflight entertainment (the domestic flight may have WiFi but you'd have to pay for it, even in fc).

Looks like the merger is, in fact, back on, with the U.S. government saying it does not now have opposition (widely reported a week or two ago), but I don't know if there will be any changes in schedules, much less aircraft, by June. Do keep an eye on flight schedules online (don't just rely on e-mails from the airline; I'd get the same advice no matter who you're flying with).

Edited by Fattony

You're SURE you on a 767? US Airways Web site (at least the U.S. site) shows 767s for GIG-CLT (flight 801), but A330-200 for GRU-CLT (803), the former being an overnight flight and the latter being a daytime flight. We've flown both planes, from GIG to CLT (they used the A330 briefly). Even the 767 was fine, but the A330 certainly better (equivalent to 777-300 on AA we flew from DFW to GRU recently). Seatguru (certainly has its faults) agrees.

Biggest downside we found with US biz class is that you get just two checked bags 70 lbs. each, rather than 3, like you would in biz class on AA, DL or UA. Skycap at SEA told us US had no curbside check-in, but that may not be a factor for you. I agree that CLT is an easy airport to navigate. You can use the US Airways clubs since you're flying intl. biz class. As noted, domestic first class, as with most airlines, isn't special, and with US you get no inflight entertainment (the domestic flight may have WiFi but you'd have to pay for it, even in fc).

Looks like the merger is, in fact, back on, with the U.S. government saying it does not now have opposition (widely reported a week or two ago), but I don't know if there will be any changes in schedules, much less aircraft, by June. Do keep an eye on flight schedules online (don't just rely on e-mails from the airline; I'd get the same advice no matter who you're flying with).

We are leaving for MSY in a couple of weeks and our reservation on the US Airways website shows the 767 as being our aircraft on both our departure and return flights. We leave GRU at 9:00 arriving in CLT at 16:10. We plan to spend the night in Charlotte at the Duke Mansion ..have a nice dinner , relax and see a bit of the South as we have never been there. We have flights on US to MSY the next morning .

Our flights on US airways in June were initially listed as being on the 767 as well. However , our departure time changed from 9:00 a.m to 2:30 a.m and the aircraft is now listed as A330-200... Both on the departure and return flight in July. I was not informed of the major departure time change...happened upon it while checking reservations for our upcoming flight. I actually prefer the 2:30 a.m departure and as an added bonus was able to change my return flights to a better time for no fee.

I have now received the info that from May on the A330 will be used on the GRU-CLT route...great news ! There is an article about this change on this blog I follow. ( in Portuguese!)

http://passageirodeprimeira.com/2013/11/16/us-airways-vai-usar-o-moderno-a330-na-rota-depara-sao-paulo/

So it will be interesting to compare the 767 Envoy product with the A330 suites.

I

I have flown both the 767 Envoy product and the A330 Envoy product. Night and day unfortunately.

The A330 is incredibly comfortable with (as mentioned already) 180 degree lay flat seats. There is a ton of stage space and USB charging plus an outlet that takes a US 110 plug. Great IFE with lot's of options. Every seat is an aisle seat, the singles also are window seats.

The 767 really isn't a whole lot different than first in a 757-2 V4--in fact the latter is more comfortable in my opinion. The IFE has to be attached to the seat by the FA, it is not built in. You can't stop and start the movies on demand, once started, it doesn't pause. Of course any seat in Envoy will be better than any seat in economy, but if you can avoid the 767, it's a good idea to do so. The seats do not lay flat, they are 160 degree at best.

Edited by ducklite

Ducklite...

Your feelings echo all the trip reports I have read on both the Envoy products (A330 vs 767). Will just be happy that my out of pocket flight will be on the A330 and the award flight is on the 767 ..makes me feel better.

BTW , if anyone is interested , the fares to Sao Paulo on the the A330 in the lovely Envoy Suites are excellent. We got our R/T GRU/SFO tickets in Biz class for aroud $2,000. A great deal IMHO.

BTW , if anyone is interested , the fares to Sao Paulo on the the A330 in the lovely Envoy Suites are excellent. We got our R/T GRU/SFO tickets in Biz class for aroud $2,000. A great deal IMHO.

My view - any time that intercontinental business is less than 2.5x coach, it's a deal. And you're under 2x the coach price. Well done!

My view - any time that intercontinental business is less than 2.5x coach, it's a deal. And you're under 2x the coach price. Well done!

Thanks Flyertalk! I am pleased! BTW , did you enjoy your time at GRU? Such a lovely airport ( note the slight snicker , lol)