DSLRs and the Beach

Husband and I will be sailing the Eastern Caribbean next month. Just starting out in photography, I want to take my DSLR with us while in port and get some practice shots in. My concern is what to do with my camera when I decide to get in the water while at the beach. I don't want to leave all that expensive gear unattended, so I'm thinking about using a dry bag and bringing it with me in the water. I have a waterproof camera, so I won't ever need to take the DSLR out while in the water.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Honestly, I just separate my beach trips and my photography trips so I don't have to leave my gear or worry what to do with it. I admit it might be tough if you're at a port or island for a short period of time, or hitting the beach far away while on a tour or excursion...but in many cases you can head out to an island or port, tour around taking photos, then return to the ship to drop off the camera, head back out, and hit the beach. That tends to work best for me. On the private islands, it's easier since they often provide lockers you can get to store gear while you enjoy a swim...otherwise I try to head back to the ship and just make the beach and the photography two separate disembarks. If I'm truly stuck at a faraway beach, then I'll sometimes chance it if the beach is quiet, not straying too far into the water away from my bag, or if I'm lucky enough to have a friend or family member willing to stay on the beach with the gear and take turns in the water, I'll go that route. I don't think I'd bring it with me in the water, even in a drybag...just me personally!

I have a waterproof camera, so I won't ever need to take the DSLR out while in the water.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

Yes, if you are going to the beach, leave the DSLR back in your cabin (unless you know you have someone to watch it for you while you are in the water).

Beaches and DSLRs don't mix well.

That is why I take more than one camera on a cruise. On beach days I leave the DSLR in the stateroom and take just the waterproof camera, or perhaps a small (inexpensive) compact camera in addition to the waterproof camera.

On the way back from Jost Van Dyke on our last cruise, we were in a fairly fast power catamaran to return to Road Town. We were hitting some waves pretty good, and a wave came across the bow and drenched this guy holding his DSLR.

The camera was dripping wet, and he dried it off and it was working - but this is salt water - which does not mix well with electronic camera gear. I never found out for sure, but I doubt the DSLR lasted the cruise.

Even though I have camera insurance, I just don't put the DSLR into situations where it could get damaged.

Beaches and DSLRs don't mix well.

That is why I take more than one camera on a cruise. On beach days I leave the DSLR in the stateroom and take just the waterproof camera, or perhaps a small (inexpensive) compact camera in addition to the waterproof camera.

On the way back from Jost Van Dyke on our last cruise, we were in a fairly fast power catamaran to return to Road Town. We were hitting some waves pretty good, and a wave came across the bow and drenched this guy holding his DSLR.

The camera was dripping wet, and he dried it off and it was working - but this is salt water - which does not mix well with electronic camera gear. I never found out for sure, but I doubt the DSLR lasted the cruise.

Even though I have camera insurance, I just don't put the DSLR into situations where it could get damaged.

Yep, a little fresh water is one thing but salt water spells trouble soon enough.

Sent from my iPad

I never leave the DLSR unattended on the beach. But there are usually other things that need to be watched (like wallets) when someone goes into the water. I also keep it in a double bag as sand is another thing that is not a friend of the camera.

I destroyed a pocket camera once by leaving it in the pocket of my swim trunks when I went into the ocean.

The camera was only in the water for 5 minutes max; and when I realized it, I went into the shower and hosed it off with fresh water.

Of course, it was broken... but incredibly, the SD card still worked.

When I got home, I took the camera apart, and I was amazed at the amount of rust and corrosion that occurred inside the camera within just that short time period.

Kind of reminds me though, many years ago, we used to clean circuit boards at work by immersing them into fresh water and a soap solution, then rinse with distilled water. We had to remove a few components that did not tolerate water prior to doing so, but it was an effective cleaning method.

I never leave the DLSR unattended on the beach. But there are usually other things that need to be watched (like wallets) when someone goes into the water. I also keep it in a double bag as sand is another thing that is not a friend of the camera.

When I go to the beach, I have a nice cable lock that we can secure our backpack to a beach chair. Makes it harder for someone to run off with the bag.

41uVCZr053L._AA160_.jpg

When I go to the beach, I have a nice cable lock that we can secure our backpack to a beach chair. Makes it harder for someone to run off with the bag.

41uVCZr053L._AA160_.jpg

How heavy is your beach chair?

;)

Dave

How heavy is your beach chair?

Uh oh...if Dave starts bragging in the future on how he got a great deal on some used camera equipment, and even got a free beach chair thrown in, we might just have to report it to AWBoater. ;)

Uh oh...if Dave starts bragging in the future on how he got a great deal on some used camera equipment, and even got a free beach chair thrown in, we might just have to report it to AWBoater. ;)

Merely showing altruistic community concern over a possible flaw in the security plan....:D

Dave

It's not so much that the beach chair will prevent theft, but is is going to be pretty obvious to many that something is amiss if someone is carrying a backpack with a beach chair attached to it...

especially if I am still in the beach chair.

There was a good TV program a short time ago about the beaches on Rio De Janeiro where "pros" were sneaking up on people that had their backpack laying on the ground under or next to the beach chair.

They could do a quick snatch without the person even knowing it.

Obviously, no deterrent will prevent someone really wanting to steal something - I just hope they will steal someone else's bag full of camera gear that did not think to at least secure their backpack rather than steal my stuff.

FWIW I took a DSLR and a waterproof on my recent Hawaii trip. On both excursion took the DSLR, I'm probably the only one that got these shots. Everyone else was trying to take them with their P&S and smartphone and asking did you get it...

Later on the beach I just left the DSLR in the backpack and went snorkeling with waterproof.

p1688963842-4.jpg

p1627005772-4.jpg

p1663141445-4.jpg

Archived