Drinks anyone??

Calebo

Am cruising on the Royal Princess next May and wondering about beverage packages ( alcohol ), does Princess offer any beverage cards, all inclusive packages, or the like? Or do you have to suffer from sticker shock at the end of the cruise.

Am cruising on the Royal Princess next May and wondering about beverage packages ( alcohol ), does Princess offer any beverage cards, all inclusive packages, or the like? Or do you have to suffer from sticker shock at the end of the cruise.

I wish they had an alcohol package that included spirits, beer, and wine. We tried that concept for the first time on Oceania and then did the same on Windstar and really liked the idea. It was nice to not have to sign a piece of paper all the time and we also ventured out more and tried different things, that we would have otherwise not have tried. Unfortunately, there is no such package on Princess (yet).

I'll let others talk about their wine packages (on some ships), coffee cards, sodas, etc. We never sign up for those (but we might try the wine package if it is available on our next cruise).

Edited by Love.II.Cruise

No distilled alcohol drink packages. On some voyages they have a wine package. They also sell buckets of beer on board where you get 6 for the price of five. I think you will find Princess' drink prices fair. If you search for Princess cocktail menus you will some information on pricing. Don't forget to add the 15% tip to each price. You can always predetermine how much you expect to spend during the cruise and deposit that amount into your on board account. It's like buying your own package.

I wish they had an alcohol package that included spirits, beer, and wine. We tried that concept for the first time on Oceania and then did the same on Windstar and really liked the idea.
Cruise lines offer packages because they make money, not because they want to be nice to passengers. I don't know what drink prices are like on Oceania but Princess prices are very reasonable. You can get a mixed drink for $5, a Long Island Iced Tea for $5.50, a martini for $7, etc. If Princess were to offer an alcoholic drink package, they'd have to raise their per-drink prices significantly. I found that on Celebrity, a drink package would have cost me far more per day than buying drinks without the drink package.

I agree on the drink prices-Princess is very reasonable. You can purchase liquor in the gift section on Princess site and have it delivered to your room. We did this on our last cruise. We bought a bottle of gin and made our own gin and tonic in our room. The bottle cost $22.00 and made about 9 or 10 drinks so while expensive as compared to a liquor store, a lot less than purchasing onboard in a bar.

Quick question. Are the gratuities included in the drink price? Or do i need to add a tip?

A 15% gratuity is included in the drink price. No need to carry cash when out `n about on the ship.

Enjoy!

Edited by MSN-Travelers

A 15% gratuity is included in the drink price. No need to carry cash when out `n about on the ship.

Enjoy!

If the service is good we often tip more. And we were told on one ship that they prefer cash rather than having it written on the bill.

Cruise lines offer packages because they make money, not because they want to be nice to passengers. I don't know what drink prices are like on Oceania but Princess prices are very reasonable. You can get a mixed drink for $5, a Long Island Iced Tea for $5.50, a martini for $7, etc. If Princess were to offer an alcoholic drink package, they'd have to raise their per-drink prices significantly. I found that on Celebrity, a drink package would have cost me far more per day than buying drinks without the drink package.

I've looked at the princes of drink packages on other ships and comparing them to the price of individual drinks we would do better to buy them one by one.

If Princess were to offer an alcoholic drink package, they'd have to raise their per-drink prices significantly.

Why?

Princess can set what ever price it wishes, if it decides to implement

a drink package. Similarly they can set whatever price they wish for

individual drinks.

They can adjust either price to achieve what they think is maximum

profit.

Cruise lines offer packages because they make money, not because they want to be nice to passengers.

This should be posted in every topic where people ask questions regarding cost of the cruise, drinks, excursions, etc. If Princess or any other cruise line isn't making money then they won't be in business too long.

I agree that drink prices are reasonable for being on a ship. I might balk at paying the same prices at my local bar but not onboard. :D

As I said when I researched drink packages we would spend more and Pam is right they might well raise individual drink prices to make the package more alluring.

Also I've been on plenty of ships where people overindulged with unfortunate consequences. It could get worse if the drinks were unlimited. Because people wouldn't have to think twice about getting another. Also some people would try to get their money's worth so drink more than they normally would.

I'm not a prude nor a non drinker. You'll find me nightly at Crooner's hovering over a couple of "From Russia With Love" martinis, but I think the above things I mentioned are concerns.

This should be posted in every topic where people ask questions regarding cost of the cruise, drinks, excursions, etc. If Princess or any other cruise line isn't making money then they won't be in business too long.

I agree that drink prices are reasonable for being on a ship. I might balk at paying the same prices at my local bar but not onboard. :D

Compared to where I live which is near San Francisco the prices on board are a bargain and when you compare it to San Francisco drink prices it becomes a real bargain.

I have never seen a drink package on Princess. Not saying there isn't one but I haven't seen one. I do not ever have sticker shock at the end of my cruise. I am a martini drinker with an occasional fruity drink thrown in. I find Princess' drink prices very reasonable. I live in Southern California where a martini can cost you between $9-$12. On Princess most of the drinks I have had come to $7.76 with tax! I hear the prices might have gone up slightly since I cruised in 2011. Even still, I can drink cheaper on Princess than I can at home.

I have never seen a drink package on Princess. Not saying there isn't one but I haven't seen one. I do not ever have sticker shock at the end of my cruise. I am a martini drinker with an occasional fruity drink thrown in. I find Princess' drink prices very reasonable. I live in Southern California where a martini can cost you between $9-$12. On Princess most of the drinks I have had come to $7.76 with tax! I hear the prices might have gone up slightly since I cruised in 2011. Even still, I can drink cheaper on Princess than I can at home.

So true and they pour an "honest" drink as well. No skimping.

I've looked at the princes of drink packages on other ships and comparing them to the price of individual drinks we would do better to buy them one by one.

I agree with both posters! Plus, Princess does have a "happy hour" of sorts where prices are discounted. When I cruise Princess and have a drink I feel like I am getting a bargain!

Princess seems to be the last man standing with no drink packages. I haven't seen anything on the other boards to indicate that drink prices went up to cover the packages.
In my experience, drink prices on other lines are higher, some are significantly higher to start with.

For instance, on RCCL, the cost of a soda package is $6.50/day; on Princess, it's $4.95/day. That's a 31% difference per-person/per-day. The cheapest beverage package is $45/pp/day and every adult in the same cabin must buy it whether or not they drink. For a couple, that's $90/day and a whole lotta drinks. Going by Princess drink prices since I don't know RCCL alcohol drink prices, I'd have to have nine (9) Long Island Iced Teas every single day of the cruise for $45/day to pay. That's not going to happen.

Edited by Pam in CA

On our last cruise, I stuck with the virgin drinks since I could get a package that included them. For our next cruise, I wanted to be able to get 'real' drinks without worrying about the 'sticker shock' you mentioned. So I purchased $500 worth of on board credit. I probably won't drink anywhere near that much, but it'll help cover costs of excursions as well.

Purchasing OBC prior to your cruise is a great way to relax with drinks and not worry about running up a bill :) (depending on the amount, of course).

In my experience, drink prices on other lines are higher, some are significantly higher to start with.

For instance, on RCCL, the cost of a soda package is $6.50/day; on Princess, it's $4.95/day. That's a 31% difference per-person/per-day. The cheapest beverage package is $45/pp/day and every adult in the same cabin must buy it whether or not they drink. For a couple, that's $90/day and a whole lotta drinks. Going by Princess drink prices since I don't know RCCL alcohol drink prices, I'd have to have nine (9) Long Island Iced Teas every single day of the cruise for $45/day to pay. That's not going to happen.

Or, you could have a freshly squeezed OJ with breakfast, two lattes, a bottled water for your shore excursion, a margarita when you get back onboard, a pre dinner martini and two glasses with wine with dinner and be ahead of the game before starting any after dinner activities.

Edited by Cruise Junky

I may drink more than many, but the drink package is something I really like about Celebrity. It's liberating to just order what you want when you want it. I think I come out even or a bit better. I also didn't see a higher percentage (or indeed anybody) on these Celebrity cruises that were unruly.

Or, you could have a freshly squeezed OJ with breakfast, two lattes, a bottled water for your shore excursion, a margarita when you get back onboard, a pre dinner martini and two glasses of wine with dinner and be ahead of the game before starting any after dinner activities.
ROFL! As I said, not going to happen. :) I don't like fresh squeezed (strange, I know), never drink lattes, bring water from the tap, don't drink margarita's, sometimes have one martini before dinner, and my last cruise, 16 days, I stretched one bottle of wine for the entire cruise. Obviously, I'm not a candidate for a drink package. :)

ROFL! As I said, not going to happen. :) I don't like fresh squeezed (strange, I know), never drink lattes, bring water from the tap, don't drink margarita's, sometimes have one martini before dinner, and my last cruise, 16 days, I stretched one bottle of wine for the entire cruise. Obviously, I'm not a candidate for a drink package. :)

You are DEFINITELY ;) not a candidate for a drink package..but I am :p