Millennium 2013: Cruise/Travel Insurance Experiences (Merger of two threads)

JaneStarr

I am the one that started the thread referenced above, but the discussion here on this thread is much more robust than what has transpired so far on the other thread.

There was ANOTHER thread on this same subject just started today (8/25) here on the Celebrity board, so perhaps the moderators might want to consider merging?

Anyway, there have been some comments like: "...I have XYZ Company insurance, and they cover mechanical breakdowns." A word of caution: not all policies within a particular company's collection may contain the same provisions. You really have to look at the details of each policy you are considering (which has been mentioned already in this thread).

The two threads have been merged.

Hmmm. This sounds like double dipping to me. Did the insurance company know that you also received reimbursement from the airline as well?

Yes they did. I remember Virgin told me to always read the policy details as some won't reimburse you if the airline does, others do. So I had mentioned that when I emailed the claim that I had also put in for reimbursement with Virgin.

I assume its like car insurance used to be before no-fault. If someone hits you, they are still responsible for the cost of repair even though your insurance covers it, as the insurance is an added protection you payed for.

Are you talking about insurance for those already enroute, or for cruises that were canceled in the future? If in the future I assume you would get a refund on the insurance since Celebrity is selling it and have canceled your cruise.

My point exactly, they sold me the insurance but have informed me twice that they will not refund this portion of my future cancelled cruise cost. I would have been content with some future on board credit or some good faith response. My recommendation do not purchase cruise insurance from Celebrity. They do not have your back.

There's a page of "testimonials" on the Travel Guard site with a specific mention of a cruise being cancelled for mechanical reasons and that they were covered. Click here and search the page for "mechanical".

j

With all that has happened concerning Millie, and us with an upcoming cruise on the Silhouette I thought it best to re-read our policy with TravelGuard. Then I decided to take it another step and contact TG about mechanical failures and coverage. I was told that if there is a mechanical failure it is up to the the cruise line to cover any associated expenses. I think this has been a heads-up for many of us. ~~Judy

Go and read my previous post

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39668068&postcount=22

The Travel Guard Platinum & Gold plans include loss as a result of mechanical/equipment failure.

The Travel Guard Silver policy insuring agreement that is silent to mechanical/equipment failure, so there would be no coverage

Most insurance companies offer several plans. The lower cost plans, have a shorter list of causes of loss that are covered.

Steve

With all that has happened concerning Millie, and us with an upcoming cruise on the Silhouette I thought it best to re-read our policy with TravelGuard. Then I decided to take it another step and contact TG about mechanical failures and coverage. I was told that if there is a mechanical failure it is up to the the cruise line to cover any associated expenses. I think this has been a heads-up for many of us. ~~Judy

I have not yet contacted my insurance company (Travel Insured -- Worldwide Trip Protector), however I have read the policy carefully and while it covers common carrier bankruptcy or mechanical breakdowns after the trip has started, it does not appear to cover a cancellation pre-trip. Since I have scheduled another cruise and the dates/some components of my trip are unchanged, I'm going to contact them tomorrow to see if the policy is still valid.

Cindy,

I've read that sometimes travel insurance companies will allow you to transfer the value of the insurance for your untaken trip to a new trip. You might want to ask about that. Good luck to you!

Jane

Great point above as to one of the many reasons why I would not want to use Celebrity's in-house cruise "insurance". Another key reason to avoid that option is the fact that their coverage is much more limited for what is covered regarding your various pre and post cruise travels, transportation, etc. Our upcoming Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Solstice Sydney to Auckland, NZ, involves lots of travel and stops prior to and after our cruise. I want protection for that travel, too!! Here's what I have done and why:

{{{Snip}}}

Here's another tip to save money! With most all of the other independent insurance options, you do not need to buy coverage for the full amount of ALL costs with your cruise, flights, pre and post travel, etc., etc. Your amount of coverage/protection on medical care, med evacuation, trip interruption, lost baggage, etc., is the same regardless whether you buy a travel insurance policy to cover a potential loss of $1000, $5000 or $10,000. For us, our air flights are on Amer. Air Frequent Flyer points. If we had to cancel our cruise due to a medical problem and/or family emergency, our air flights points can be put back and our net "loss" is very, very minimal. We don't have any reason or need to cover our air costs if circumstances would force a scrubbing of this cruise between our Nov. 7 pay-up date and the sailing in mid January.

BOTTOM LINE: There are lots of options and cost/coverage options to consider. BUT, get some coverage AND consider the "details" to get the right fit for the "balance" and trade-offs for your specific needs versus budget.

Reactions, added inputs, sharing for others? Check these insurance details carefully in what you are doing, picking!! Different companies and varied policies will do and cover things in other ways.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

]

Hi, Terry --

We often use InsureMyTrip to compare policy forms. It's one of the good web-sites to compare basic plan benefits and costs. I agree with you about needing to really check the policy details carefully. I'm just not sure that most of us have the capability to really understand how a particular insurer will apply specific policy language in the event of a claim. That's why we really need to hear about people's real life experiences when filing Millennium claims.

I'd really caution people to really study the entire policy before deciding to insure less than the full value of non-reimbursable costs. Some policies have language that gets them out of paying any claims if you fail to insure the full amt! I've read reports of people having all claims denying for underinsuring by less than $1. Seems crazy, but it apparently happens.

Jane

My mom had insurance purchased through Celebrity...there is no refund for the insurance, and no coverage for losses incurred due to their cancellation.

Will they allow her to transfer the insurance to another cruise??

I hope so.

Jane

I am the one that started the thread referenced above, but the discussion here on this thread is much more robust than what has transpired so far on the other thread.

There was ANOTHER thread on this same subject just started today (8/25) here on the Celebrity board, so perhaps the moderators might want to consider merging?

Anyway, there have been some comments like: "...I have XYZ Company insurance, and they cover mechanical breakdowns." A word of caution: not all policies within a particular company's collection may contain the same provisions. You really have to look at the details of each policy you are considering (which has been mentioned already in this thread).

Thanks. RJ, for your good suggestions and advice!

I think some people also do not realize that mechanical breakdown (of your plane, for example) on the way to your cruise is often covered BUT that is not the same thing as having coverage in the event that your cruise is canceled/delayed/interrupted by mechanical ship issues.

Thanks to Host Walt for merging the threads!

Jane

We have our next cruise booked in 2015. At the time of booking, we purchased the basic insurance X offers.

Now reading about the exclusions for mechanical issues I'm wondering if we can cancel the insurance without canceling the cruise and instead purchase a more inclusionary policy?

I have learned a lot here from my fellow CC. My thoughts are with all that have been affected by the Miilie cruises and the Princess Singapore cancellation.

We have our next cruise booked in 2015. At the time of booking, we purchased the basic insurance X offers.

Now reading about the exclusions for mechanical issues I'm wondering if we can cancel the insurance without canceling the cruise and instead purchase a more inclusionary policy?

I have learned a lot here from my fellow CC. My thoughts are with all that have been affected by the Miilie cruises and the Princess Singapore cancellation.

I was waiting to see if anybody else had a definite answer for you, before chiming in.

Did you actually pay for the insurance cost when booking, or did you only put down a standard deposit on the cruise? If only a deposit, I don't see any way they could hold you to keeping the CruiseCare insurance.

If you paid for the insurance at time of booking, then I don't know if you would be able to cancel it (at least not w/o cancelling the cruise). I don't have any first-hand experience with this, so hopefully somebody else will chime in an enlighten us.

I order to find out for sure, I would contact X or your travel agent (whomever you used to book the cruise). They should be able to give you a more definitive answer.

Jane

PS You also have 10 days after receiving your ins. certificate to examine the policy and cancel at no cost.

Each insurance company must file with the state they want to write in and each state has different requirements. We always bought a great policy from AMEX. They then changed the one they write in FL and we now go with Travel Guard. They always ask you which state you live in for a reason.

I always thought mechanical breakdowns were covered. I am now off to call them and see what I am actually covered for. I know from personal experience they are great with medical issues while on a trip.

Every time I enter my home after returning from a trip and I did not have to utilize the insurance, I am so thankful I "wasted" the money to buy it!!!

Each insurance company must file with the state they want to write in and each state has different requirements. We always bought a great policy from AMEX. They then changed the one they write in FL and we now go with Travel Guard. They always ask you which state you live in for a reason.

I always thought mechanical breakdowns were covered. I am now off to call them and see what I am actually covered for. I know from personal experience they are great with medical issues while on a trip.

Every time I enter my home after returning from a trip and I did not have to utilize the insurance, I am so thankful I "wasted" the money to buy it!!!

I hear you on remembering to be thankful when "losing" the trip insurance bet :)

As far as Travel Guard, it depends on which level policy you purchase. The Silver policy doesn't cover mechanical breakdown of the ship.

See prior post here:http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39694590&postcount=58

Jane, Thank you for your reply. Checking my credit card statement, I was charged $678 for the insurance at the time of booking. It has been well past the ten days you reference since the purchase. I don't see mechanical mentioned and will follow up with the TA.

I was on the Milli cruise from the 16th that was concelled. I have just sent all my bills into Celebrity (we were flown to Vancouver and got a flight back to Anchorage to complete our post cruise trip) and hope they will be repayed. I also have travel insurance and my RBC Aviion card (Canada) and phoned them. They said the expenses I have incurred would not be covered by them as the cruise was "cancelled" and that is not covered. If would have been delayed in getting to Anchorage that would be covered.

We were booked on the 9/13 Millennium sailing. I faxed our claim form and supporting receipts for our non refundable hotel and airfare on our Travel Guard Gold policy on Thurs 8/22/13. Today 8/28 the Travel Guard claims status page reports that the check for 100% of our claim ($2577) was issued Monday 8/26/13. So thanks to the trip cancellation insurance, we got out to this pretty much unscathed.

On 8/23 we went into our My Celebrity online account (which today 8/28 says "Departs in 16 days":confused:) and canceled our beverage package and the credit for the beverage package only, showed up on our credit card on 8/27/13.

On 8/22 I spoke with the agent that booked the cruise portion of our trip who offered to use the Celebrity cruise credit from the 9/13 cruise to rebook another Celebrity cruise, but we requested the refund. We were advised that could take up to 6 weeks. We have never received an email, letter or anything, directly from Celebrity about this cancellation or the refund for the cost of the cruise. :eek:

I previously discussed the specific travel policy that we purchased in this post http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=39668068&postcount=22 There are policies that offer higher limits on some of the other coverages, and there are policies that are are bettter if you want primary coverage on your luggage or medical. But for this trip cancellation claim, caused by "mechanical/equipment failure", this policy performed perfectly and the claim was settled very fast.;)

Steve

Jane, Thank you for your reply. Checking my credit card statement, I was charged $678 for the insurance at the time of booking. It has been well past the ten days you reference since the purchase. I don't see mechanical mentioned and will follow up with the TA.

Good luck!

I'm afraid you probably can't get a refund on this policy. At least it seems to be unlikely that your cruise will be canceled by mechanical problems. If I were you, I'd avoid booking any extras that are non-refundable (like pre-paid hotel rooms, excursions, etc.)

Not sure exactly the best strategy about booking airfare. The refundable kind is usually way too expensive to consider. I would just try to book on an airline you are most likely to fly again soon and not book the flights too soon. (This would help if Celebrity covers the change fees and the airline gives you 1 yr from the date the original tickets are booked to take the new outbound flight.)

Keep us posted.

Jane

We were booked on the 9/13 Millennium sailing. I faxed our claim form and supporting receipts for our non refundable hotel and airfare on our Travel Guard Gold policy on Thurs 8/22/13. Today 8/28 the Travel Guard claims status page reports that the check for 100% of our claim ($2577) was issued Monday 8/26/13. So thanks to the trip cancellation insurance, we got out to this pretty much unscathed.

{{{Snip}}}

Steve

Happy that Travel Guard Gold Policy came through for you, Steve!

Hope your Celebrity credit comes through soon.

Jane

Just curious as to whether the supervisor waived your change fee for the rescheduled flights?

Yes, he waived the fee, however we did have to pay $50 each more in fare. This was the day we heard the cruise was cancelled and we had not yet heard that Celebrity would refund the change or cancellation fees.

I'm following up with my travel agent too as we paid for another insurance policy with the same company on this new cruise we booked 5 days ago (on Norwegian) after the Mille cruise was cancelled. Asked the TA why we couldn't have transferred the other policy over instead of buying a new on?. I suppose if you don't buy insurance through Celebrity, they are not obligated to reimburse you? Anybody know about this?

Archived