An important lesson learned re:traveling without a credit card: DON'T!!

cruisestitch

My daughter was an irresponsible college kid and had 6,000 dollars stolen on a debit card (grandpa gave her money). It took weeks to get it back but she finally did. She's 26 now and DH still looks over her accounts.

I listen to consumer types on the radio. They really like credit unions. I think that could help the above poster. Best of luck. DD lost her job in May but found another after seven weeks.

people all have different situations one thing you could do is have a relative get a card and have a low credit limit and get a card with your name on it. You can carry it and in case of an emergency they can call and get the limit increased.

But having a way to get things paid for in an emergency is very important. You never quite know what will happen. Even a debit card tied to your checking account is better than nothing.

For hotels you can have someone else call to make reservations. But emergencies do happen.

FYI - Don't know if this was posted. However, always travel with more than one credit card. In fact, carry a card in your name and if married, have your wife carry a card in her name. Not the same Credit Card that she is joint on, but a different one in her name. this is just in case you loose or your card is stolen/lost/compromised. You don't want two people carry the same Credit Card with the same account. If one is invalid - they both are.

When you travel as much as I do having a US cell phone that will work in every country is very expensive. I do not use one because of the risk of theft. It can easily cost you thousands if they clone it or just rob you. I only use very cheap disposable pre paid phones. When I lose them or they are stolen I have only lost $50 max including the minute credit. But the US bank don't understand foreign travel. They are terrible a foreign currencies and will not accept skype numbers because of fraud.This makes it very difficult for me to do online banking in the US or UK where I live. Many countries you must use cash unless you want your credit card to get cloned. Hotel employees will steal your details.

Not sure if I can mention the company, but one of the big 3 cel phone providers in the US has an international calling plan that has no added fees.

It works in 120 countries, texts are free, and calls are 20 cents per minute. It even works on Celebrity cruise ships (I think 50 cents per minute) Best deal out there. Even get unlimited (albeit low speed) internet/3G on your phone for no extra.

You can do online banking anywhere from your phone, since it is the same phone you have at home, and it is secure.

Edited by Nachosdelux

Not sure if I can mention the company, but one of the big 3 cel phone providers in the US has an international calling plan that has no added fees.

It works in 120 countries, texts are free, and calls are 20 cents per minute. It even works on Celebrity cruise ships (I think 50 cents per minute) Best deal out there. Even get unlimited (albeit low speed) internet/3G on your phone for no extra.

You can do online banking anywhere from your phone, since it is the same phone you have at home, and it is secure.

There is no problem at all in mentioning T-Mobile as a phone company. The names we are to avoid are the names of travel agents.

On my last cruise, we ordered an inexpensive Moto E phone, a smartphone running android, for $130. It does 3 G, but not 4G LTE. It worked everywhere we went. We texted all over for free, and calls were a reasonable price. I was thrilled to have it.

There were a couple of places where it cost extra to text or call, but it was good to have the phone in case we needed it.

[quote name='Algebralovr']There is no problem at all in mentioning T-Mobile as a phone company. The names we are to avoid are the names of travel agents.
[/quote]

Thanks. I am new to this board and don't want to get banned my first week!

I will say that I am very happy with the T-Mobile plan.