Which is the More Scenic car or train from Anchorage to Seward.

eatranman

We will be traveling from Anchorage to Seward the first week of June next year. Can not decide about using a rental car or taking the train. We can make either work. Looking for others who have done this and will share their opinions on which is more scenic the train or rental car. We know the car will give us more flexibility. Thanks in advance for your input.:)

it was a highlight of our trip! All of us agree from 20 year old girls, 24 year old son to husband and I. Absolutely beautiful, You can walk all over that train so you don't get board. Make sure you go up to the dome cars. you can get buy one get one free coupons on ebay They come out of a coupon book. I paid $5.00 for coupon and it saved me $160 on 2 tickets. only use one per booking so made 2 bookings. Would always take the train if I return.

Another factor to consider, as we had the same debate, is the train leaves at 6:40am but you need to be checked in at 5:40am. Train takes 5 hrs vs. car takes 3 and you can leave whatever time you wish. I would have liked to do the train ride, but for us time and sleep was a factor, and we will be taking the train in Skagway for an excursion, so we ended up deciding the car would be a better option in our situation.

Car is good, the scenery is great and you can stop along the way to see sights (portage glacier, the AK wildlife conservation center, Girdwood) BUT, the driver will lose out because he or she must focus on the road.

The train is great with wonderful views, is lot slower and does not enable stops. But, no one has to pay attention to where he/she is going. As others point out, you can freely move around and even take a nap if you prefer.

As far as scenery goes, you will see different things from the train route and the highway. But, overall, the scenery is not all that different. The big difference is the route. Coming out of Seward heading towards the mountains there are 3 parallel passes. THe highway uses one pass, the train another. The third is a hiking trail.

So, it is really up to you as to which one you prefer.

The scenery between Seward and Turnagain Arm is much better by train than car. From Turnagain Arm to Anchorage both the highway and the train follow the same route. I prefer the flexibility of a car to be able to stop along Turnagain Arm. It’s not an area where you want to be rushed and can be spectacular on a nice day.

One more possible factor, are picking up the car and turning in at Seaward? Make sure you ck the rates. I tried to rent in Fairbanks to Seaward and the price was outrageous (huge drop off fee). In fact it was so high that I used the train for the entire trip and loved it for less money. Now to be fair i was traveling single so if you have several people that would be different. Last time I had a car but rented and turned in at Anchorage which wasn't too bad cost wise.

Sent from my iPad

Edited by snowbird1

Another factor to consider, as we had the same debate, is the train leaves at 6:40am but you need to be checked in at 5:40am. Train takes 5 hrs vs. car takes 3 and you can leave whatever time you wish. I would have liked to do the train ride, but for us time and sleep was a factor, and we will be taking the train in Skagway for an excursion, so we ended up deciding the car would be a better option in our situation.

Train takes 4 hours not 5. And yes you do have to check in early BUT..... it does not feel early! Remember you fall back 3 hours (or so we did from Central time) so while it is 5:45 am in your mind it is only 8:45 am. I am NOT a morning person and hate getting up early. I almost did not do the train just for the reason of having to get up so early. It was no problem even though we got to Anchorage late an did not get to bed until after midnight. The train was a highlight of the trip. It is spectacular and I is first day so you are excited with anticipation. you will not regret it. Totally awesome!

Train takes 4 hours not 5. And yes you do have to check in early BUT..... it does not feel early! Remember you fall back 3 hours (or so we did from Central time) so while it is 5:45 am in your mind it is only 8:45 am. I am NOT a morning person and hate getting up early. I almost did not do the train just for the reason of having to get up so early. It was no problem even though we got to Anchorage late an did not get to bed until after midnight. The train was a highlight of the trip. It is spectacular and I is first day so you are excited with anticipation. you will not regret it. Totally awesome!

Sorry for the misunderstanding, I was including the check in time in the 5 hr time period for taking the train vs. driving.

The problem w train scenic and the reason that I will never take a train anywhere is that you go past a really scenic spot on the train - whoosh it is gone and if you blink you miss it. With a car, you can stop and look at the great places for as long as you wish.

Several people have said that one advantage of the train is that you can get up and walk around the train. You can also get up and walk w a car - you just park in a pretty and safe spot and get out of the car and walk around.

Also, if you see any wildlife from a train, you better look fast or it will be gone. With a car, you can stop and watch it.

Bluntly and this is purely personal opinion, I can not see a single advantage to train travel. Obviously many people feel differently or there would not be as many people taking trains as there are. To each his or her own.

DON

Edited by donaldsc

Something to think about - the Anchorage to Seward train run goes very close to two glaciers that you cannot see from the road.

As a resident, I've driven to Seward more times than I can count and will do so again in a week or so. Having said that, I love the relaxation of the train. No worries about what the other drivers are doing you get to look out the windows rather than concentrating on the road.

Some of us begin adjusting to a new time zone even before we arrive at our destination.So your theory of body clock time is inaccurate for people like that. Plus it is one of the worst ways to conquer jet lag.

We recently rented a car in Anchorage. We spent a day touring Turnagain Arm from Anchorage to Portage Glacier. Loved it. Stopped at Beluga Point (twice), Animal Conservation Center, visitors center at Portage glacier, Crow Creek Mine, dinner in Girdwoood.

We then drove to Denali for a couple on nights. Returned the car in Anchorage and took the train to Seward the next morning. Loved that too!

The train did stop for wildlife views for us, including an eagles nest right by the tracks.

I am glad we did both! I found Turnagain Arm so beautiful.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

• 2 weeks later...

Here are just a few shots taken on the train from Anchorage to Seward. The first two could be either highway or train, and then the last three are only seen from the train.

DSC_0514.JPG

Seen early on trip from both highway and train.

DSC_0520.JPG

Along the shore/road

DSC_0540.JPG?gl=US

Up into the mountain passes, one of a bunch of glaciers we chugged past. Sorry, can't figure why it turned, but . . .

DSC_0558.JPG

Got to see ourselves coming and going, up the switchbacks.

DSC_0578.JPG

Oh, yes, there was a nice little mountain lake, too.

Now, to be honest, the day was a perfectly spectacular one. I didn't get any really good shots as we went by the many waterfalls. It was a lighting issue in the valleys and overhangs.

When we returned by car a few days later, it was drizzly and overcast, but typically I like foggy shots. Here are the really good shots we stopped to take on the way back from the road. Oh, I forgot, except for the hubby and I posed ones, there weren't any.

• 3 weeks later...
Something to think about - the Anchorage to Seward train run goes very close to two glaciers that you cannot see from the road.

As a resident, I've driven to Seward more times than I can count and will do so again in a week or so. Having said that, I love the relaxation of the train. No worries about what the other drivers are doing you get to look out the windows rather than concentrating on the road.

Hi All,

Having no desire to depart from Anchorage so early on the train, we are considering the Seward Bus Company. Anyone tried it?

Thanks,

Anthony

We used Seward Bus Lines Seward to Anchorage in 2012. Good rate, no frills. They picked up at the ship on time about 9am. The vehicle we were in was about 18 passengers with a trailer towed behind for luggage. The next stop was their office in Seward to pick up a couple more passengers and then direct to their Anchorage office in midtown. From there they take you in another vehicle to your hotel or the airport.

We used Seward Bus Lines Seward to Anchorage in 2012. Good rate, no frills. They picked up at the ship on time about 9am. The vehicle we were in was about 18 passengers with a trailer towed behind for luggage. The next stop was their office in Seward to pick up a couple more passengers and then direct to their Anchorage office in midtown. From there they take you in another vehicle to your hotel or the airport.

Thanks Glaciers,

I contacted the bus Company and we like the sound of their Tour & Sightseeing:

"We have 2 trips for the date that you are looking for :

First dep. time 9:30am ( Tour & Sightseeing ) stopping at

Beluga point, Wild-life Conservation Ctr. and Canyon creek

the fare it is $60.00 p/passenger include pick up from your

hotel in Anchorage, the other one straight shot dep. time

2:00pm, fare $45.00 p/passengers".

Anyone been on it?

Anthony

No question - the car. When you go by train, you get the "blink and you miss it scenic views" since the train does not stop to let you actually look at anything. By car, you can stop whenever you wish and have the enjoyment of actually looking at and appreciating the scenery.

You should know that I am prejudiced, however. First of all, I like to be in control of my trips and with a train, there is a guy up front determining what I will see. Also, I like to take photographs. Note that I said photographs, not snapshots. I do not think that anyone anywhere has ever taken a photograph from a train.

On my first trip to Alaska many years ago, I took the train from Anchorage to Denali as I did not know any better. I hated it and said that I would never take a train trip anywhere for the rest of my life. My only other train trip was from Darwin to Adelaide in Australia. I did not want to fly because I wanted to see and experience the outback. I did not want to drive as it was very far. So the Ghan was the best of a bad set of choices. It was OK but I would not do it again.

DON

However, if you rent a car, you take a short side trip to the Byron Glacier at the Begich Boggs Visitor Center near Portage and walk on a glacier....it is about 1/4 mile walk on a nicely maintained path....and you can't get closer than that. And, you can see several glaciers from the highway as you travel for Seward.

Though I don't agree with donaldsc that the "guy up front (is) determining what I will see" on the train (the one time I took the train from Anchorage to Seward I sat in the dome car most of the time and looked out the window to determine what I would see and photograph), I still think the car gives much greater flexibility.

If one is traveling one-way to Seward, perhaps the train is a good idea (no one-way drop off fee for a car). But with a car, you can make multiple stops along the very scenic Turnagain Arm and see/do way more than you can ever do on the train. Of course you can make that drive on your own a different day, but you are backtracking and unless you have a lot of time on your hands in Alaska, most of the time backtracking means you are giving up seeing/doing something else that is very worthwhile.

• 8 months later...

We're going to have to rent a car from Anchorage to Seward because the timing of the trains & buses doesn't work with out flight in. I thought I saw a recommended Rental Company, but I can't find the thread. Any suggestions?

We're going to have to rent a car from Anchorage to Seward because the timing of the trains & buses doesn't work with out flight in. I thought I saw a recommended Rental Company, but I can't find the thread. Any suggestions?

Not really a "recommended" rental company; it is the only option for a one-way rental to Seward - Hertz.