Spend $650 pp to upgrade from X to GS?

Toddcan

If it were me -- given that it is financially "doable" -- I would go for it. You only live once and vacations are for splurging.

When we have gotten a GS, it was less about the room itself (well, the bathroom and storage ARE quite helpful), and more about the amenities that come with it.

So, I say --- GO FOR IT.

Mike

Agreed!! It is the experience.....

It would have to be a longer cruise before I would consider it to be worth it. I upgraded last year from a balcony to a GS on a 7-day for $800 ... and I had to think about the offer for a bit before I agreed to it. I'm glad I did ... loved the GS ... but I'm not so spoiled that I have to always have one now. But I do admit that it's tough to not get at least a JS.

Totally agree with your approach, but this is spring break, and my wife works in the school system, so only gets 1 week off.

You know, in that case, I might be tempted to spend part of that extra $1300 on plane tickets, so such a big chunk of the already limited time isn't spent on driving.

Even if you couldn't find a longer cruise that fit the time frame and budget, you could still chill on the beach vs. being stuck in a car, for what, 20+ hours each way?

To me, I'd get much more bang for my buck spending the money on plane tickets vs. on a grand suite.

You know, in that case, I might be tempted to spend part of that extra $1300 on plane tickets, so such a big chunk of the already limited time isn't spent on driving.

Even if you couldn't find a longer cruise that fit the time frame and budget, you could still chill on the beach vs. being stuck in a car, for what, 20+ hours each way?

To me, I'd get much more bang for my buck spending the money on plane tickets vs. on a grand suite.

This may sound weird, but the drive is actually part of the vacation for us. We take our time (on the way down), and only drive 7 hours per day. It's a total of about 21 hours to Fort Lauderdale. I pick decent places to stay, and we enjoy a nice dinner. We always stop at Cracker Barrel for lunch, and do a little shopping etc. We love the drive.

Now, on the way back home.. it's two 10-11 hour days of driving - not as much fun :)

u guys are all some rich people

solution: give me the difference. I will go on the ship and serve as your personal slave hand. I will feed you only the finest California grapes from Napa, and pour wine down your gullet from a silver goblet.

Edited by monkey_wants_banana
;)

I usually compare the JS price first. Then I figure how much it would be to buy drinks with the leftover money, anywhere on the ship. I usually end up booking a JS over a GS for that reason.

That being said, I think a GS would be fun, of course. I think it's a much better value than an OS.

If it were a longer cruise with a lot of sea days then maybe but $1300 is a lot for such a short cruise.

This is exactly my take on it. A 5-nighter would be too short for me to increase my total expenses by 30%. In fact, I probably wouldn't splurge that much for an upgrade unless the cruise were more than a week. JMO, of course;)

After some soul-searching, I've decided that $1300 is really too much for 5 days. I just can't seem to justify it for the extras we'd be getting. My starting point is $579, which is what I paid for the D2. Little too much of a jump.

I did drool over several YouTube videos of GS tours. Very nice cabin. But, to be honest, the balcony did not wow me. Yes, I know the D2 is a small balcony, but I'm expecting that. Our last cruise was a corner aft- monster balcony.

JS afts are still available on this cruise, and they are just over $1,000 pp, so a $900 total price increase.

Thanks for all of the thoughts/opinions.

I

After some soul-searching, I've decided that $1300 is really too much for 5 days. I just can't seem to justify it for the extras we'd be getting. My starting point is $579, which is what I paid for the D2. Little too much of a jump.

I did drool over several YouTube videos of GS tours. Very nice cabin. But, to be honest, the balcony did not wow me. Yes, I know the D2 is a small balcony, but I'm expecting that. Our last cruise was a corner aft- monster balcony.

JS afts are still available on this cruise, and they are just over $1,000 pp, so a $900 total price increase.

I

Keep watching the prices, the JS or GS still could come down more.

I

How much to move up to a D1 cabin? There are some nice aft cabins available on deck 10 for your sailing with large balconies if that is what you are looking for?

Cabins # 1702, 1704, 1404 and 1402 are open.

I

I have gone for the GS on my upcoming cruise, and it was a jump up in cost. I plan to have some quiet time on the sea days, and the space in the GS will give me that.

Totally agree with your approach, but this is spring break, and my wife works in the school system, so only gets 1 week off.

This may sound weird, but the drive is actually part of the vacation for us. We take our time (on the way down), and only drive 7 hours per day. It's a total of about 21 hours to Fort Lauderdale. I pick decent places to stay, and we enjoy a nice dinner. We always stop at Cracker Barrel for lunch, and do a little shopping etc. We love the drive.

Now, on the way back home.. it's two 10-11 hour days of driving - not as much fun :)

keep watching the prices; they may fall into a more appealing range someday.

We were limited by a school calendar for years; it can be quite a challange. We tried to do the leisurely drive trips in the summer, but for shorter breaks we generally flew. While driving down is part of the vacation experience, if you fly you can do a longer cruise. when we factored in gas, wear and tear, and time, flying just made sence for us. I don't enjoying the drive is weird, but I'd much rather be cruising.

I

If you are going for the JS most of the aft balconies are still available. We snagged 7414 after being assigned one way up front on deck 9.

How much to move up to a D1 cabin? There are some nice aft cabins available on deck 10 for your sailing with large balconies if that is what you are looking for?

Cabins # 1702, 1704, 1404 and 1402 are open.

Good thought! I'll look into it. We got a GTY (X), at $579. I think D1 is $749.

Edit: Just checked.. the only D or E aft available are 9704 or 9404.. those are ugly, small balconies (from what I've seen) I don't see availability for the cabins you listed. Mar 10 2014 sailing on the Liberty?

Edited by Toddcan

Good thought! I'll look into it. We got a GTY (X), at $579. I think D1 is $749.

Edit: Just checked.. the only D or E aft available are 9704 or 9404.. those are ugly, small balconies (from what I've seen) I don't see availability for the cabins you listed. Mar 10 2014 sailing on the Liberty?

You must put in 3 persons to show they are available, even though there are only 2 of you they will let you book them, you just have to call them to make the switch. If they tell you no the first time call again.

For $340 I would make the switch and not think twice about it. Take one of the ones nearest to the end cabins though the balconies are larger then the near the center ones.

Actually those D1's are a little larger then the regular D1's also.

Take 1702 or 1402. Those Balconies are even larger then the more center D1 ones. Great View, No obstructions at all.

Freedom_aft_balconies.jpg

Good Luck

Jimbo:)

Edited by Jimbo

Oh, good tip, Jimbo. I never tried search three to see more cabin options.

OP, I sometimes hear people with gty bookings say they ask to be thrown back I to the pool. I have never tried it, so I do not know if they'd really allow it or not. if you are a gambler, you could ask in hopes you'd get a E1 or D1 (and hopefully swap to aft) or an E2 (and hopefully swap to a hump).

Wishing you a great time, no matter which cabin you occupy.

Wow.. 1702 is available. My favourite scanning website shows it's not available. Odd?

What about noise from the Windjammer above, anything?

Not a sound, the windjammer is carpeted and closed late at night, no trouble at all sleeping back there.

Edited by Jimbo

Jimbo ... next time I'm doing cabin research, I'll need you on fast-dial. My DD makes fun of my fanatical planning efforts, but I certainly haven't amassed a file of exterior pictures with cabin numbers of them.

I haven't sailed on the Freedom class yet (that's upcoming in April) but I would anticipate that you have to be prepared for a really long walk to get back to the aft cabins. Of course all things are relative. Doing a vacation at WDW seems to involve a 30-45 minute walk for every meal. On a cruise ship we consider anything longer that 2 minutes to be a LONG walk.:)

Jimbo ... next time I'm doing cabin research, I'll need you on fast-dial. My DD makes fun of my fanatical planning efforts, but I certainly haven't amassed a file of exterior pictures with cabin numbers of them.

I haven't sailed on the Freedom class yet (that's upcoming in April) but I would anticipate that you have to be prepared for a really long walk to get back to the aft cabins. Of course all things are relative. Doing a vacation at WDW seems to involve a 30-45 minute walk for every meal. On a cruise ship we consider anything longer that 2 minutes to be a LONG walk.:)

That photo of the aft showing all the cabins has been around for a while. I'm not sure if Jimbo was the one who took the time to label it all - but YES, that is a most helpful photo! It gets reposted when discussions about aft balconies arise.

As far as the walk to an aft cabin: we had 7708 in March (corner aft). The walk is really not very long. From the rear elevators, I'm estimating that it took us no more than 2 minutes to make the walk. 2 minutes is actually a long time. Now, if you are making the hike to the Theatre, which is in the bow, then it will take about twice that long.

We LOVED the balcony size on the aft. For us, it's the new "standard".

That photo of the aft showing all the cabins has been around for a while. I'm not sure if Jimbo was the one who took the time to label it all - but YES, that is a most helpful photo! It gets reposted when discussions about aft balconies arise.

As far as the walk to an aft cabin: we had 7708 in March (corner aft). The walk is really not very long. From the rear elevators, I'm estimating that it took us no more than 2 minutes to make the walk. 2 minutes is actually a long time. Now, if you are making the hike to the Theatre, which is in the bow, then it will take about twice that long.

We LOVED the balcony size on the aft. For us, it's the new "standard".

I keep hearing about the big aft balconies, but I passed up a chance about a week or two ago to switch to one. Our Grandeur sailing is nearing capacity and somebody must have cancelled because one morning I discovered a center JS aft had opened up. So I called my DD and asked her if she wanted to switch (we have a JS midship). She turned thumbs down. We took location over balcony size. Somebody else snagged it before the day was over.