Is the Royal Piazza really that great

Loreni

We enjoy the connection to the sea and, in many ways the Royal design reduces that. Specifically: smaller balconies, a butchered promenade deck, no forward observation deck, and no promenade level wake view.

Still, the enhanced Piazza is very intriguing. We sailed the Sapphire both before and after dry dock and just loved the enhanced piazza. We actually spent time there; before dry dock we would just pass through. Specifically, we enjoyed the International Cafe and the musical and other acts on deck 5. And it does provide a by nice connection to the sea with all the windows on deck 5 so close to the water.

The upper deck enhancements on the Royal (the walkway and the water show) are, in our opinion, just bells and whistles and poor compensation for all that has been lost with this design.

My question for those who have sailed on the Royal: is the Piazza a game changer? Did you find yourself spending more time there than in the atriums/piazzas of other Princess ships. Or was it just more of the same, but a bit larger.

I answered this on the other thread...yes, we loved, loved, loved it. We spent lots of time in it sipping coffee, eating and enjoying the entertainment. The Piazza felt like a little town center and like we were sitting in a cafe'.

Everyone has their own tastes...for us the Royal was great. Yes, I missed some of the items mentioned, but for us the pluses outweighed the losses!

I answered this on the other thread...yes, we loved, loved, loved it. We spent lots of time in it sipping coffee, eating and enjoying the entertainment. The Piazza felt like a little town center and like we were sitting in a cafe'.

Everyone has their own tastes...for us the Royal was great. Yes, I missed some of the items mentioned, but for us the pluses outweighed the losses!

Thank you! It does sound wonderful. I started this new thread because I thought the old one might have drifted a bit and maybe this question would get more answers in a new thread.

One thing we really, really, love about cruising is that it can feel like being in a pedestrian-only, seafront village. On ships with a nice promenade deck, one can even imagine that one is strolling on the beach. It is just wonderful to be able to go everywhere by foot and never see or hear a car. So it sounds that while the "waterfront stroll" aspect is basically gone, the seafront village feeling is expanded by the larger Piazza. A difficult trade-off for us, but very tempting.

I think the best way to explain the difference is that about 2 days into our cruise we realised that this was the only piazza that we treated as a destination to go to rather than somewhere just to grab a quick snack or coffee.

It is really like sitting at a table outside a cafe , sharing a bottle of wine watching the entertainers in the square and the rest of the world go by .

You really do forget that you are inside a ship as it is so spacious

I think the best way to explain the difference is that about 2 days into our cruise we realised that this was the only piazza that we treated as a destination to go to rather than somewhere just to grab a quick snack or coffee.

It is really like sitting at a table outside a cafe , sharing a bottle of wine watching the entertainers in the square and the rest of the world go by .

Overall, this sounds good. Except, I would never want to forget I'm on a ship. We cruise for the connection to the sea.

As a runner, I have always loved the Promenades on the Coral/Island, Sapphire/Diamond, and the Sun Class. A little less on the Grand Class. My mornings usually consist of a run between 3 and 6 miles followed by a 10 lap walk with my wife.

Last year, we did a Mexican Riviera cruise followed by an Hawaiian cruise on the Sapphire after the recent upgrades. We spent a lot of time in the Piazza. One of the servers always greeted us by name and even remembered us on the second cruise. We believe our time in the Piazza was one of the more enjoyable parts of our cruises and applaud Princess for moving in this direction.

We look forward to the Piazza innovations on our upcoming Royal cruises.

Will I miss the Promenade Deck? Of course, but I will take advantage of other options. Does my wife care? not really. She hasn't looked at any of the CC discussion and her only concern is escaping completely. I believe the Royal Princess will accommodate us very well.

What a great way to describe the piazza. It sounds amazing.:)

Overall, this sounds good. Except, I would never want to forget I'm on a ship. We cruise for the connection to the sea.

I probably wasn't clear. I love the sea and it is the absolute point of ocean cruising, and we enjoyed-our balcony watching the sea, UBD , spent time by the pool and on the running track and out in the open. I was trying to explain why this Piazza is different from the others and put it into some sort of perspective for those who haven't experienced it yet

As a runner, I have always loved the Promenades on the Coral/Island, Sapphire/Diamond, and the Sun Class. A little less on the Grand Class. My mornings usually consist of a run between 3 and 6 miles followed by a 10 lap walk with my wife.

Last year, we did a Mexican Riviera cruise followed by an Hawaiian cruise on the Sapphire after the recent upgrades. We spent a lot of time in the Piazza. One of the servers always greeted us by name and even remembered us on the second cruise. We believe our time in the Piazza was one of the more enjoyable parts of our cruises and applaud Princess for moving in this direction.

We look forward to the Piazza innovations on our upcoming Royal cruises.

Will I miss the Promenade Deck? Of course, but I will take advantage of other options. Does my wife care? not really. She hasn't looked at any of the CC

discussion and her only concern is escaping completely. I believe the Royal Princess will accommodate us very well.

IMHO, the Piazza on the Sapphire was my favorite until I went on the Royal. After cruising on the Sapphire in October, 2012, we went on the Emerald in January and when I stepped in the Piazza at embarkation it felt small and dark. If you like the Sapphire's Piazza then you should love the Royal's!

Umbertsmom, You did a very good job of explaining it. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

I guess my mind drifted to the descriptions I've read of other ships (Royal Caribbean, I think) where people say it is like a shopping mall and they forget that they at sea....and some say this like it is a good thing. I never thought you meant to imply that it was a good thing to not feel like you were at sea.

I am concerned that Princess designers are starting to make decisions that are minimizing the connection to the sea. And I wanted to state for the record (in case any designers are reading this), I like the connection to the sea. Anyway, with all the windows on Deck 5, I still think the Piazza would provide a pretty good connection to the sea.

Umbertsmom, You did a very good job of explaining it. I didn't mean to imply otherwise.

I guess my mind drifted to the descriptions I've read of other ships (Royal Caribbean, I think) where people say it is like a shopping mall and they forget that they at sea....and some say this like it is a good thing. I never thought you meant to imply that it was a good thing to not feel like you were at sea.

I am concerned that Princess designers are starting to make decisions that are minimizing the connection to the sea. And I wanted to state for the record (in case any designers are reading this), I like the connection to the sea. Anyway, with all the windows on Deck 5, I still think the Piazza would provide a pretty good connection to the sea.

Loreni, the Piazza/Atrium on the Royal can be compared to a five star hotel lobby. It is larger than most atriums, but with two separate staircases, it almost looks like two next to each other. The decor is elegant. There is a lot to do, cafes, bars, boutiques. Only the photo/video venue is out of place. It can be quite loud at times, but it is the hub of the ship. It is not overwhelming like RCL shopping malls. Plenty of room for everyone. I spent many early evenings at The Vines, wine tasting. Delicious pizza and gelato at Alfredos. Late evening, about 10pm, there is dancing on level 5 of the atrium ( this is the only place to dance on this ship with a live band). It is a newer version of the Sapphire atrium (my favorite ship). Since I too cruise for the "connection to the sea," I agree with you regarding Princesses minimizing certain aspects to the newer ships. I cruise once a year and stay at a time share and hotel the other two times. Although I had a very nice time on the Royal, she is not the ship for me. The Royal is truly a beautiful ship but I still was disappointed. I like the feeling of being on a ship, otherwise I would stay in a hotel. I missed the promenade deck, I did sit on the promenade deck outside Facets Boutique but it is not the same. I missed dancing before dinner at the Wheelhouse Bar. Dining on our narrow balcony was impossible. I know they are all small things, but that's what makes it a special vacation for me.

I enjoy cruising with Princess. Over the past twenty years I have enjoyed all the ships, especially the fabulous crews. I'm sure the Royal will be fabulous for many but the older ships are more to my liking, I just hope Princess doesn't build all their new ships like the Royal. I also learned my lesson, don't book a cruise on a ship before her deck plans are finalized. PS I still had a blast, I was on vacation!!

I guess my mind drifted to the descriptions I've read of other ships (Royal Caribbean, I think) where people say it is like a shopping mall and they forget that they at sea

The problem that Royal Caribbean has with their newest ships, Allure and Oasis, is that their main passenger areas (Royal Promenade, Central Park, and Entertainment District) were built with ZERO windows. Not even a tiny porthole to see the ocean go by. In addition, the Boardwalk has very limited ocean views as well since the huge Aqua Theater stage with the 2 big screens block the view.

We had a Boardwalk view stateroom when we sailed on Allure, and the lack of an oceanview from our stateroom, combined with limited ocean views throughout the ship, made us feel VERY disconnected from the ocean during the entire week. Don't get me wrong, it was one of the most amazing cruises that I've ever taken, and I would do it again without hesitation.

I do understand that as ships get bigger, it's inevitable to feel more of a disconnect with the ocean. I've felt this going from a 16,000 ton ship to a 32,000 ton ship, and this disconnect has progressed every time I try a larger ship. Its not a "Royal Princess-specific" problem, but it seems to be the price to pay to go bigger, no matter what ship or cruise line.

Just wanted to add a thumbs up for the Piazza - there is so much happening and a real buzz. It just feels so vibrant whilst offering plenty of chance to relax. This is a real plus for this beautiful new ship and something I will miss on other ships in future.

We enjoy the connection to the sea and, in many ways the Royal design reduces that. Specifically: smaller balconies, a butchered promenade deck, no forward observation deck, and no promenade level wake view.

Still, the enhanced Piazza is very intriguing. We sailed the Sapphire both before and after dry dock and just loved the enhanced piazza. We actually spent time there; before dry dock we would just pass through. Specifically, we enjoyed the International Cafe and the musical and other acts on deck 5. And it does provide a by nice connection to the sea with all the windows on deck 5 so close to the water.

The upper deck enhancements on the Royal (the walkway and the water show) are, in our opinion, just bells and whistles and poor compensation for all that has been lost with this design.

My question for those who have sailed on the Royal: is the Piazza a game changer? Did you find yourself spending more time there than in the atriums/piazzas of other Princess ships. Or was it just more of the same, but a bit larger.

It sounds like a nice place to relax while husband naps.

What dining venues are offered in the Royal Piazza? Is there any charge?

Thank you!

In the atrium and The Piazza:

Alfredo’s –Serving up fresh, hand-tossed Neapolitan-style pizzas hot out of the oven, Alfredo’s pizzeria, already a passenger favorite on several vessels, will take Princess’ reputation for serving the best pizza at sea to a new level. Aboard Royal Princess the sit-down restaurant’s complimentary menu has been expanded to include a variety of Italian antipasti, soup and salads, a hearty calzone and pizza baguette, and delicious baked pastas in addition to desserts. With 121 seats, Alfredo’s is the largest such pizza restaurant at sea, and features an open kitchen where passengers can watch as chefs craft their pizza. Food is included in the price of your cruise, drinks are an extra charge.

International Café –Aboard Royal Princess the popular International Café serves up some new savory and sweet items including cupcakes, pies, and muffins to go with the café’s array of pastries, panini sandwiches, fresh-baked cookies and specialty coffees and teas. In addition, a new variety of hot sandwiches with international flavors debuts, including Cuban sandwiches and Mexican tortas. Open 24 hours, the space also has an expanded seating area, making it the perfect area to grab a light meal, meet friends for coffee or enjoy a snack while watching the array of Piazza entertainers. Food is included in the price of your cruise, drinks are an extra charge.

Vines– Vines wine and tapas bar serves a selection of exclusive new- and old-world vintage wines along with wine sampling, food pairing and unique events. In addition to the full wine and spirits bar, Vines serves up small plates to go with the wines, including Spanish tapas, Greek mezes, Venetian cicchetti, Latin American pinchos and Caribbean cutters. Vines is also be a convenient pre-dinner gathering place for Sabatini’s diners, and tempts with Sabatini’s Bites where passengers can sample small tastes of such dishes as Tuscan Brochettes, Beef Carpaccio and Lamb Chop Lollipops. Tapas Bar included in the purchase of a beverage, Sabatini's Bites are surcharge.

Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar –The new Ocean Terrace Seafood Bar will indulge those who love treats from the sea. The bar offers an array of à la carte ocean treasures, including a flight of oyster shooters, fresh sushi and sashimi, ahi tuna poke, king crab cocktail, chili and lime crab margarita, a royal lobster dish, a chilled seafood sampler, and the world-renowned smoked Balik salmon, the salmon of the tsars. (A la carte pricing)

Tea Tower – Featuring a tea sommelier and a choice of 250 blends, tea lovers will revel in Royal Princess’ unique tea tower located in the ship’s central Piazza. Here passengers can enjoy pre-blended tea varieties or create their own custom flavors. The ship’s tea sommelier, an expert on tea blends, will host tea tasting events and a new Royal Afternoon Tea Experience, inspired by some of the most famous tea spots in London. Surcharge applies.

Gelato –A gelateria and creperie, Gelato offers delicious Italian-style ice cream creations – including designer sundaes, creamy fruit smoothies, and frosty shakes, plus sweet crespelle (Italian crepes) and delightful homemade waffle ice cream cones. Passengers can have their favorite flavors in a delicious waffle cone or ice cream sandwich. The extensive menu includes 20 toppings and sauces, including house-made hot fudge. Specialty items such as alcoholic and non-alcoholic sundaes are also on the menu, as are sweet crespelle with a choice of either nutty banana or spiced Washington Apple filling. Or passengers can indulge in a classic banana split—or a pineapple split for an old favorite with a new twist. Surcharge applies.

Just forward of The Piazza...

Sabatini’s – Princess’ signature Tuscan-inspired specialty restaurant, Sabatini’s features a fresh menu of sophisticated Italian favorites with an a la carte experience. Sabatini’s is located adjacent to Vines wine bar, offering diners a convenient venue to enjoy a pre-dinner cocktail. With an elegant décor merging glass, marble, wood and mirror details, the centerpiece of the new space will be a grand wine display, offering an impressive selection of Italian varietals – including Chianti, Sangiovese, and Brunello di Montalcino. The lunch menu of Mediterranean-influenced options makes it the perfect place to dine after a treatment in the adjacent Lotus Spa. With a refined yet casual Italian ambiance, Sabatini’s offers attentive personal service and the feeling of having just stepped into a ristorante in the heart of Tuscany. Cover charge: $25

Just aft of the Atrium:

Princess Live! Café – Adjacent to Royal Princess’ unique television studio, the café serves up barista-style coffee and tea selections, accompanied by daily changing quick-bite food selections. After 5 pm, the bar offers up a menu of aperitifs and digestifs.

Main Dining Rooms adjacent to the Atrium and Piazza:

Dining Rooms – Symphony and Concerto (both of which feature tables surrounded by wine cellars), have been designed with an elegant and stylish décor.

:D

I already love the Piazzas on on the other ships, I cannot wait to experience the new Piazza on the Royal Princess. There is soooo much more seating that it will really be so much better.

The size of the new Piazza on the Royal made it much more enjoyable for us. There is always so much going on and now that there is some space, it doesn't feel cramped at all.

I especially noticed this during the Champagne Waterfall. On previous cruises on the Star, Ruby, and Emerald, it was very crowded during this event, but with the Royal there was plenty of space for everyone to enjoy this crowd pleasing favourite.

IMHO, the Piazza on the Sapphire was my favorite until I went on the Royal. After cruising on the Sapphire in October, 2012, we went on the Emerald in January and when I stepped in the Piazza at embarkation it felt small and dark. If you like the Sapphire's Piazza then you should love the Royal's!

That's nice to hear. Our last cruise was on the Sapphire and we spent a lot of time in the Piazza. The International Cafe has become one of our favorite places, and we'll be sailing the Royal in October. :)

Archived