Price of bottles of wine in Barcelona Terminal

wilson2579

Four years ago we sailed from Barcelona and the wine store was located between where you check in and where you board the ship. All of the wine sold was Spanish reds and whites. We bought 4 bottles of reds that were really good for, if I remember right, 10Euros a bottle. I do not think we had to pay any VAT taxes on the wine as this was like a tax free shop, however we did have to pay VAT tax on all bottles of wine bought on the ship as we sailed RT from Barcelona.

Edited by terrydtx

I was there in July. We bought 6 bottles in total. All the wines were spanish ones and they were all excellent. We did pick a few bottles that were sold 2 for 1 and were 17 euros. But they had bottles for 8 or 10 euros. We took advantage of this because even with the corkage fees, it was still cheaper than buying on boatd the ship.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

I do not think we had to pay any VAT taxes on the wine as this was like a tax free shop, however we did have to pay VAT tax on all bottles of wine bought on the ship as we sailed RT from Barcelona.

Just to clarify, you had to pay the VAT onboard because you didn't leave the EU tax area. You could have just as well disembarked in a different port inside EU tax area and still have to pay the VAT. :)

Also, while it should be shown separately, many small shops having simple cash registers do not necessarily show the tax lines (at least very clearly) in the receipt, anyway VAT is always already included in the price advertised - unlike in US or onboard NCL ships. At least here in Finland it's very strict policy that one can't buy tax free unless they really are departing the tax area and it's heavily enforced so no shops even try it.

Edited by Demonyte

We bought some nice Rioja and Tempranillo. There was a white wine that was excellent, i'll try to find the name and post it for you. Good to know they had italian wines... I remember seeing only spanish wines. Two of the bottles we bought were wraped in gold lace, they were also pretty good.

Is there someone in that shop that can offer some advice about the wines? We are going in november and we like red wines that are light and on the sweet side but know very little about wines.

Can anyone who has been to that store recomend a brand or brands to look for?

Thankyou

You could try some Crianza or Cosecha, they are usually light and fruity. If you prefer light wines stay away from the ones from the Toro and Ribera del Duero regions. They tend to be more full bodied.

When we were there in July, the lady that worked in the store helped several pasengers. She seemed pretty knowledgeable of the products she was selling. It never hurts to ask.

Is there someone in that shop that can offer some advice about the wines? We are going in november and we like red wines that are light and on the sweet side but know very little about wines.

Can anyone who has been to that store recomend a brand or brands to look for?

Thankyou

You could try some Crianza or Cosecha, they are usually light and fruity. If you prefer light wines stay away from the ones from the Toro and Ribera del Duero regions. They tend to be more full bodied.

When we were there in July, the lady that worked in the store helped several pasengers. She seemed pretty knowledgeable of the products she was selling. It never hurts to ask.

• 2 weeks later...

Thankyou for your advise, learned something new today, thanks:)

• 4 weeks later...

Wine was anywhere from 7 to 24 Euros. Red and White and Cava. They sold Perrier water, but a six pack was 8 Euros. I did not see beer. Another shop had a variety of liquors. We went on board the ship at noon, dropped off our carry on (our room was ready) and then went back into the port terminal to purchase our wines.

You can never go wrong with Cava! Some of the wines in the wine shop had little blurbs about the flavor of the wine, dry, sweet, fruity, etc. So even if you don't know a lot about Spanish wine.... the notes and the shop keeper were helpful.

Thanks for all the info. I have decided to buy wine at the port to take on rather than buy the UBP on NCL as we normally only drink wine and I think the all inclusive package at 100 dollars a day for both of us is a bit too expensive:eek:

Do they sell bottled water too? Or is there somewhere else we could pick up a few?

Yes they sell water too. The cost is higher than in a local supermarket (€ 0,58 for a 2 liter bottle at Carrefour on the Ramblas). If I remember correctly they charged around € 2 for a large bottle of water ( 2 liter) in the port shops.

Thanks for all the info. I have decided to buy wine at the port to take on rather than buy the UBP on NCL as we normally only drink wine and I think the all inclusive package at 100 dollars a day for both of us is a bit too expensive:eek:

If you have time and opportunity, I would recommend stopping at a supermarket before you get to the terminal. You can buy wine for €3-€6 that is as good as the wine at the terminal, if not better. At the prices charged at the terminal plus corkage, I think it's easier and worth buying the Viva Vino package on board. It had quite nice reds on the basic "Enthusiast" package. Ken

Edited by CruiseIreland
Add opinion

• 3 weeks later...

They do sell beer. Moritz. A local brew. Yellow colored cans. I found wine at el Cortes ingles, huge dept store with supermarket on ground level, in plaza Catalunya to be great on price and variety. Plus they will have anything else u may have forgotten.

Bklynhtsnyc

If you buy outside the terminal they will be picked up in the x-ray scanner and either taken from you or corkage will have to be paid on the wine.

I take it you are referring to checked luggage? After the wine shop, we were directed to a separate gangway, because we had hand luggage, where the hand luggage was scanned and the wine bottles counted and corkage charged. We boarded Epic at about 1pm. It may be a matter of luck. I would not buy in the terminal wine shop next time but then I might not bother bringing wine on. Between cost plus corkage, it's barely worth it as we drink from the basic Viva Vino list. Ken