Wi-fi Comment/Question

billylen

It has been my experience in the past that using the internet or wi-fi is one of my biggest expenses when I cruise. Unfortunately I have no way around it as I must continue to conduct research even when I travel. (but I'd rather do it on a ship than in an office :))

Anyway, I have always thought the charges and speed is one of the biggest gougings I have ever experienced. I try when possible to hit a Starbucks in port to save on the charges. But if you have many sea days that just not possible. Here is my question/comment. I was on the Enchantment a couple months back and I noticed that the wi-fi signal was strong in my cabin. Not only that but the speed seems to have improved quite a bit. Still not DSL ot T1 quality but much improved. Has there been some change or was I just luck that cruise? I have an upcoming T/A and it would be good to know so I can figure out if I have to take out a loan to pay for upcoming internet charges. :)

I had read an article recently about MTN (the company that provides internet to cruise ships) really boosting speeds, both with land-based antennas throughout the Caribbean and planning to launch additional satellites within the next couple of years to improve speeds while farther from land. The land-based antennas were supposed to be active 2Q of this year, so perhaps you were benefiting from that?

It's been my experience that WiFi has been much better on the ships which have been through revitalisation and I've also been able to get it in my cabin sometimes.

Sailed on Navigator last month (which hasn't been revitalised) and went back to the old, slow Wifi with hotspots in only a few areas.

It has been my experience in the past that using the internet or wi-fi is one of my biggest expenses when I cruise. Unfortunately I have no way around it as I must continue to conduct research even when I travel. (but I'd rather do it on a ship than in an office :))

Anyway, I have always thought the charges and speed is one of the biggest gougings I have ever experienced. I try when possible to hit a Starbucks in port to save on the charges. But if you have many sea days that just not possible. Here is my question/comment. I was on the Enchantment a couple months back and I noticed that the wi-fi signal was strong in my cabin. Not only that but the speed seems to have improved quite a bit. Still not DSL ot T1 quality but much improved. Has there been some change or was I just luck that cruise? I have an upcoming T/A and it would be good to know so I can figure out if I have to take out a loan to pay for upcoming internet charges. :)

On Enchantment there is WiFi throughout the ship including your cabin.

From your countdown clock, I see that Serenade is next up. You should have the same WiFi service on Serenade like you had on Enchantment as both ships have been enhanced.

On Enchantment there is WiFi throughout the ship including your cabin.

From your countdown clock, I see that Serenade is next up. You should have the same WiFi service on Serenade like you had on Enchantment as both ships have been enhanced.

That must explain it. The Enchantment had the fastest speeds of any cruise I have been on. And yes I was in my cabin and had a fairly strong signal. Was not near the Centrum. Still slow by land based standards but fairly decent for say 1990... :)

Yes next up is the Serenade. Thanks for giving hope that I will have the same experience.

That must explain it. The Enchantment had the fastest speeds of any cruise I have been on. And yes I was in my cabin and had a fairly strong signal. Was not near the Centrum. Still slow by land based standards but fairly decent for say 1990... :)

Yes next up is the Serenade. Thanks for giving hope that I will have the same experience.

We are doing a b2b on Serenade beginning October 10 and due home on November 4. I will be more than happy to report back to you when we get home.

Excellent! I will be on the lookout...

Thanks!

Harris Caprock completed a full overhaul and upgrade of the satellite connectivity of the entire RCI fleet earlier this year. This was a separate project to the O3b trial due later this year. Some details here:

http://www.harriscaprock.com/downloads/AR_2013-07_ViaSatellite_RC-GregMartin.pdf

Harris Caprock completed a full overhaul and upgrade of the satellite connectivity of the entire RCI fleet earlier this year. This was a separate project to the O3b trial due later this year. Some details here:

http://www.harriscaprock.com/downloads/AR_2013-07_ViaSatellite_RC-GregMartin.pdf

We did a b2b on Vision beginning June 1, and I don't remember being able to use our laptop in our cabin.

Royal is starting to replace it's wi-fi starting with the Oasis. Last of the O3B satellites are scheduled to launch soon.

Here is a news release:

http://travel.usatoday.com/cruises/post/2012/06/royal-caribbean-faster-internet/790873/1

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forums mobile app

They have only signed up for trials on Oasis and possibly Allure. Some people in the industry don't believe that the O3B business model will be viable on smaller ships. But see my post above for details of the fleet wide upgrade for conventional satellite connectivity, which has been completed (the first stage, at least).

I had read an article recently about MTN (the company that provides internet to cruise ships) really boosting speeds, both with land-based antennas throughout the Caribbean and planning to launch additional satellites within the next couple of years to improve speeds while farther from land. The land-based antennas were supposed to be active 2Q of this year, so perhaps you were benefiting from that?

I'm pretty sure MTN is RCI's cellular supplier, not the Internet bandwidth used by the WiFi, which is managed by Harris Caprock.

We did a b2b on Vision beginning June 1, and I don't remember being able to use our laptop in our cabin.

Ah, yes - the Harris Caprock upgrades were on the satellite antenna, network hardware and bandwidth management, not the individual device network connections. I guess the pervasive WiFi kit is added during scheduled refurbishment. But in June you should have felt the benefit of a fatter, better managed pipe when you did log on from a hotspot :)

Fascinating article, thanks for sharing!

Ah, yes - the Harris Caprock upgrades were on the satellite antenna, network hardware and bandwidth management, not the individual device network connections. I guess the pervasive WiFi kit is added during scheduled refurbishment. But in June you should have felt the benefit of a fatter, better managed pipe when you did log on from a hotspot :)

Not really. The first week we did the Norwegian Fjords and the second week the Arctic Circle. Needless to say, the second week, we had limited anything because of the location of the ship.:p

I'm pretty sure MTN is RCI's cellular supplier, not the Internet bandwidth used by the WiFi, which is managed by Harris Caprock.

Ah, you're right. I found the article and it was, in fact, for cellular. What I get for relying on half-remembered news articles from a year ago, I guess.

Not really. The first week we did the Norwegian Fjords and the second week the Arctic Circle. Needless to say, the second week, we had limited anything because of the location of the ship.:p

Indeed, that's where they'll need a very, very long network cable :) O3b won't work up there at all.

Indeed, that's where they'll need a very, very long network cable :) O3b won't work up there at all.

It's a long way up to Honningsvag Norway!:D Very limited TV reception also.

They were nice enough to put signs out in the Internet Cafe and in the Compass explaining that due to the location of the ship, internet access would not be available.

Archived