Royal Caribbean Bans Smoking on Balconies

LauraS

Definitely. They need to hold true to their decision as it's the correct one. There are still other areas of the ship that smokers can use without disturbing people on their balconies trying to enjoy their vacations. Seems very fair to me, I don't get it. The "Me Me Me, Want Want Want" mentality today is really a shame.

How true.....the "Me Me Me, Want Want Want" mentality of all of the people like you who think the balconies are made for them and smokers are "disturbing" people is really a shame!

Interesting. I just checked my Jewel of the Seas cruise because it's the only one I can get a good feel for what this policy has done.

For some unknown reason, the Jan 18 cruise has been sold out of balcony cabins for months. I figured some group had them all booked, although I hadn't been able to figure anything out using Google. Anyway, every once in a while a lone cabin would pop up and immediately get snatched up.

I just checked and there are now three balcony categories with availability. D1 has 15+ cabins available. E1 has three cabins, and E3 has six. The prices are still sky high (a lot higher than my price). Based on the locations of those D1 cabins (several on the hump) I bet they'll be gone by months end, if not sooner.

Interesting. I just checked my Jewel of the Seas cruise because it's the only one I can get a good feel for what this policy has done.

For some unknown reason, the Jan 18 cruise has been sold out of balcony cabins for months. I figured some group had them all booked, although I hadn't been able to figure anything out using Google. Anyway, every once in a while a lone cabin would pop up and immediately get snatched up.

I just checked and there are now three balcony categories with availability. D1 has 15+ cabins available. E1 has three cabins, and E3 has six. The prices are still sky high (a lot higher than my price). Based on the locations of those D1 cabins (several on the hump) I bet they'll be gone by months end, if not sooner.

How did people know about the policy change, to cancel? Unless they're on cruise critic or follow Adam's blog (which I understand is a small percentage of cruisers.) I have a cruise booked for 4/14 through RCL and haven't been contacted about the policy change.

Great link. Shows that everything old is new again lol. They didn't change the policy because not everyone "approved" and apparently either everyone got over it or moved on.

Same arguments/defense as the current threads, but it didn't change RCI's mind once the change was announced and won't do it this time either. I bet some of the same ones complaining on that thread from 2007 are still sailing on RCI.

Let's also not forget that the real bread and butter of cruiselines is new cruisers, not the "loyal" ones.

How did people know about the policy change, to cancel? Unless they're on cruise critic or follow Adam's blog (which I understand is a small percentage of cruisers.) I have a cruise booked for 4/14 through RCL and haven't been contacted about the policy change.

I received an email yesterday from RCCL about this, If you didn't get it yet you may in time or check your spam folder.

Great link. Shows that everything old is new again lol. They didn't change the policy because not everyone "approved" and apparently either everyone got over it or moved on.

I like the post from 07 that say that all the rooms canceled are going to hurt rci. yep, it never happened and now 6 years later they are including balconies. It will not bother them this time either. What goes around:p

Remember when Carnival banned smoking in cabins. The smokers were revolting and would never sale Carnival again. They seemed to have survived. I can't figure out why smoking is so important that it controls someone's life so much but, I do know people that it does.

THANK YOU ROYAL CARRIBEAN.

I am not a smoker but have been told that it is a true neurological addiction. It is such a difficult addiction to beat. I commend anyone who can beat the addiction.

Who knows :confused: Nobody's come to the roll call yet to say goodbye, so I guess the ones canceling aren't CC readers. Oh well, it makes me feel a bit better because if it had been some huge group cruise, I don't think all those people would have canceled. I could be wrong. I'm scared of a ship full of 15 year old girls :eek: :D

There may be one started about appropriate attire to wear when heading up to the deck at 6am for that first morning ciggy. Are pajamas acceptable? robes? :p

They can go up naked for all I care.... I don't need a morning nicotine fix and will be sleeping.... :D

Ugh. What I wouldn't give for a dress code thread right about now. ;):D:p

Bwahahaha!!

I couldn't Agree more !!!! and like they say " If you start one they will come" !!! ( or at least I will lol )

It will WAKE up a new set of CRY Baby's that have nothing better to do. I believe they get joy out of complaining and look forward to it !! :p:D:eek:

Saw this news and thought about it a bit. I'm not a "smoker" but a couple times a year I do like to sit and relax with a very good drink and a very good cigar. IMHO a beautiful quiet night at sea on the balcony I worked very hard to afford and enjoy is one of the best places to enjoy those two things in peace.

No, I'm not going to cancel my next cruise and I expect I will book another cruise while on my next one. I can't say I'm happy about this rule, but I get it.

I wonder if my one cigar on my next cruise will be worth $250? :p

Just curious.....Did Mario quit smoking?

Sent from my SPH-L900 using Forums mobile app

I know........as there are more than just myself........that know Mario.

And.........Mario keeps an office, open to anyone that wants to visit him, in an area allowed for smokers. That area will probably remain for smokers, as it's not mentioned in Mr. Goldsteins blog. It's behind the Windjammer, by the pool.

Mario will follow, and knows the liability of continuing to smoke, and will continue to do what he does, in an area allotted for smoking.

Mario is a spokesman for Royal Caribbean.........and he will never allow himself to do something that Royal Caribbean does not allow. I have that from the horses mouth!

Rick

I just noticed that there was a survey on CC home page about smoking. Approximately 75% were in favor of a total ban or wanted smoking banned from cabins and balconies. There was 25% that were in favor of smoking or other. I think that pretty much sums things up. Non smokers are the overwhelming majority today and cities, towns, states, et al. are prohibiting smoking in some or all public venues. Pretty much all indoor places except bars and some outdoor places. Companies are allowed not to hire you if you smoke and you are charged more for your healthcare even if you have never filed a claim. It never ceases to amaze me that in our "politically correct" society that the ACLU has not gone to war over such blatant discrimination on the approximately 20% of adults whose happiness and freedoms are being assaulted. I was a 1-2 pack a day smoker for 37 years and I have no desire to be where people are smoking up a cloud and stinking the joint out. I also have cruise buddies that smoke and I understand their displeasure. I hope that none of my buddies bail on cruising and that they continue sailing RCCL. Cool heads and common sense eventually win out.

Freedoms? Smokers are not a protected class under the Constitution...sorry :rolleyes:

I remember this well many stated that they were canceling and going to other cruise lines. RCI didn't give an inch. It was business as usual. Just as it was business as usual for Celebrity and Princess.

Just read this yesterday. MSC is a cruise line that caters to Europeans more than anyone else and they have a no smoking policy in staterooms and balconies. I am happy with changes but I can see where those that smoke are not. Someone will lose out in the end and the cruise lines have decided to go with the majority.

http://www.seatrade-insider.com/news/news-headlines/msc-expands-divinas-smoke-free-areas-for-us-deployment.html

It won't be long before we look back on this and say remember when.....

You could smoke in the crowd at a professional hockey game....

The non-smoking section was two tables in the middle of the restaurant without ashtrays....

After surgery you could relax in the smoking lounge at the end of the hospital ward....

Take off and landing was he only time you had to abstain on the airplane.....

You could smoke on your balcony......

The smokers will adapt. There will be a vocal minority who will cancel. The rest will comply. The ship will sail full with or without them. We will still fly, eat in restaurants, attend sporting events, and go to the hospital when we are sick. My kids will think the days when......... are just a crazy story.

There may be one started about appropriate attire to wear when heading up to the deck at 6am for that first morning ciggy. Are pajamas acceptable? robes? :p

That was one of my first thoughts...how pleased everyone will be as I wear my robe and bunny slippers to get coffee and then outside to smoke. I bet I could clear a deck! :D

That was one of my first thoughts...how pleased everyone will be as I wear my robe and bunny slippers to get coffee and then outside to smoke. I bet I could clear a deck! :D

Would people actually have a problem with others walking around in robe and slippers? I've seen it before, has never bothered me at all and it never crossed my mind that it would be an issue to anyone else either. To me it's no different than a sun cover up. Wow, I hope people aren't really that uptight. If a smoker has to go up top now I certainly have NO problem if they are in a robe. Robes are so comfy...

Unfortunately I think a lot of people are not seeing the big picture here. There are several considerations that people don’t seem to be talking about. One is safety, there are few things more dangerous on a ship than a fire, and princess is a prime example. A few years back they had a fire that burned a good number of balcony rooms, killing a passenger and it seems to me that they attributed that to a cigarette falling into a balcony. I don’t think they have released the cause of the Grandeur fire, but when I saw the pictures I immediately thought it made sense that a cigarette from and aft balcony could have made its way to the open deck below where they store the mooring lines, thus being a possible ignition source. Another issue is that while some people feel compelled to compare cigarette smoke to perfume in elevators or even body odor, neither of those tend to kill. The national cancer institute estimates that 3,000 people per year die from cancer caused from second hand smoke, and another 46,000 people die from heart disease caused by second hand smoke, not to mention those who suffer from lingering illnesses. In fact they indicate that there is no safe level of exposure to second hand smoke. Another consideration is that many companies are moving to restrict or ban smoking due to the rising cost of insurance premiums. It is for these reasons and others that you see states such as Michigan where I live ban smoking in businesses, bars and restaurants. In fact the city I live in took it further and banned smoking within 50 foot of an entrance to a business, and they are now considering making our city parks non-smoking. Even the business I work for has made all of its properties worldwide non-smoking, and to address rising healthcare costs they are creating incentives for employees to quit smoking. Fact is that this is a growing movement throughout the country, and it will continue as more and more people attempt to adopt healthier lifestyles in an effort to combat healthcare costs. RCCL is just following in the footsteps of many land based businesses, and I would imagine that in time it will continue across all the cruise lines. I remember flying years ago and they used to have smoking and non-smoking sections on the plane, and I remember when they banned smoking on planes that many complained about it, but today nobody even gives it a second thought. Give it a few years and people will probably think the idea that you could once smoke on a ship was odd as well. In the meantime, I know I will continue to love cruising!

Archived