What are your tipping habits?  

750 members have voted

1. 1. What are your tipping habits?

• Auto-tips + Extra cash for thos deserving it
    • Auto-tips only
    • Remove auto-tips BUT normall tip MORE than the auto tip amount in cash
    • Remove auto-tips BUT normally tip LESS than the auto tip amount in cash
    • Remove auto-tips. ZERO tips

We do the auto-tip; however, we will frequently give the Bartender another $1/2 tip the servers in the speciality restaurants (their tip is included in the additional fee charged), give our room steward or waiter a little extra if we believe our service was above and beyond the 'norm'. For instance, on one cruise, our cabin steward gave us a bottle of champagne to celebrate a special occasion. We gave him a little extra at the end of the cruise.

Who absorbs the cost of the pre-paids? Or is it just a case of the waiters and stewards get no additional tips and just their base pay? And is it a case of a travel agent getting so many pre-pays to use as they see fit? Just wondering.:)

pre pays only means that the daily service charge(or what ever the cruise line calls it) has been paid and it will be added to the pool or directly to those tipped staff cover3ed by it for that cabin. So they get their normal share of the pool or the amount for them from the pre-pay(varies by cruise line). I have had my "tips" prepaid so I asked and the book that was used to show who had paid had me as paid...

BTW the poll shows what the cruise lines have said that over 90% of the passengers on most cruises are compliant with the auto-tip/dsc or what ever the cruise line calls it. Self reporting that people left more or the same amount is about like people saying they paid all their taxes(IMO)

I don't like auto tipping. I remove when I can and pay in cash. I think it is good that they have auto tipping for people who find this easier but for me I do not like to tip until after service is received.

So, you give cash to only those you deem worthy? On virtually all cruise lines, if auto tips are removed, the cash you give to your chosen ones MUST be turned over to their supervisor and it goes into the pool to be shared by the same people who would have gotten it if auto tips were left on. If they do not, they risk being fired. In most cases, people who pay only in cash typically pay less than the amount the auto tips would have paid. So, by being a control freak, you have probably partially stiffed everyone in the pool including your anointed few. Bravo for being "in control" :rolleyes:

So, you give cash to only those you deem worthy? On virtually all cruise lines, if auto tips are removed, the cash you give to your chosen ones MUST be turned over to their supervisor and it goes into the pool to be shared by the same people who would have gotten it if auto tips were left on. If they do not, they risk being fired. In most cases, people who pay only in cash typically pay less than the amount the auto tips would have paid. So, by being a control freak, you have probably partially stiffed everyone in the pool including your anointed few. Bravo for being "in control" :rolleyes:

Only problem with your post is, it's rubbish. There is no pooling of tips to supervisors. Your direct servers get 100% of what you give them, whether it's auto tip or cash.

Yes bravo for me! If you enjoy paying your tilps up front, good for you. Most cruise lines allow me to remove auto pay and pay directly. I always prefer to receive services prior to paying for them when possible. So if the cruise line is ok with it and they give me this option, of course I will do it the way I prefer. It is all about the customer!

Congratulations to everyone on this thread - it's survived for six pages without being consigned by the moderators :D

Just a few words from a Brit point-of-view.

As Rogerthornhill posted, I do the mental arithmetic before choosing a cruise. Same as other on-board cost differences, travel-to-port costs, visa costs, & such - just an extra & tiresome bit of arithmetic. Having taken the cost into consideration, I then leave the auto-tip in place.

Easy for an experienced cruiser.

But - and this is where an awful lot of my North American cousins just don't get it - like most of the world, the UK doesn't have the same tipping culture as the US, certainly not at the same level. OK to say you should go with the culture of the ship you're on - but you can only do that if you know about it. Newbies are frequently caught-out, they first learn of auto-tips after they've booked & paid for their cruise.

Cruise lines & T/As are coy about tipping expectations - please don't tell me that it's clear on cruise line websites, cos on most it certainly isn't.

I gave up looking for it on Celebrity's website, even though there was a page specifically for "New to Cruising". In the end I had to type it into the search box. It was under "manage my booking" .

On Cunard I also had to resort to the ten pages of FAQ. Apparently it's under "Life On Board" though I couldn't find that section from the home page menu.

Carnival's website has a "Beginners' Guide". But again, I had to dig into the FAQ.

On HAL, from the home page click "on board our ships", click "new to cruising", click "FAQ", click "shipboard life", click "money matters", click "is there a hotel charge?".

It's simpler on RCI. From the home page, click "why cruise", click "before your cruise", click "top 20 FAQ."

Can be difficult to find anything about tips if you're looking for it, practically impossible if you don't even know it exists.:rolleyes:

Tips add a significant 10% to the average cruise, quite a shock for a newbie who's already booked :eek:.

So what happens when a newbie is faced with this extra cost?

He pays-up & gets stiffed.

Or he removes/reduces the tip, & the crew get stiffed.

Cruise lines camouflaging expectations from newbies means somebody's gonna get stiffed.

Cruise lines say that the daily tips are voluntary, & can be adjusted or removed in the event of poor service. That doesn't square with the policy on most lines of pooling the tips.

And cruise tipping isn't even "the American way". Most folk I've spoken to in the US leave no more than a dollar or two in buffet restaurants & motel rooms, & nothing in a McDonald's. And launderers, restaurant chefs, motel maintenance guys & such don't usually get a share of the tips.

Adding decent wages to the cruise ticket price simplifies the arrangements, removes the camouflage, defeats the cheapskate, & would probably mean that more cruisers put their hands in their pockets to also give deserving staff a grammatically-correct "gratuity". That's what happens on Brit (and probably the few US) tips-included ships.

I've heard all the excuses for not doing that, & they don't wash. The main reason is to keep the headline ticket price low & con the punter into believing he's getting a better deal than he is.

I've never tipped extra to anyone when auto-tips & drinks service charges are applied. Please don't consider me a cheapskate, in my mind I've already tipped once, why on earth would I tip the same people twice ?

Ditto the growing number of restaurants in the UK which add a service charge. I avoid such places when I can, because I rate it dishonest to add 15% to the bottom of the bill rather than increase the quoted prices by 15%. Their mandatory 15% means they won't get more from me.

But at least restaurants by law have to be up-front about any service charge, it has to be clearly displayed on menus both inside & outside the establishment.

By the same token, for cruisers booking in the UK mandatory daily charges must by law be disclosed before booking. One reason why on most cruise lines the charges are discretionary - they can bury them in the small-print.

I put the blame squarely on the cruise lines, while the current system persists so will the arguments & the cheap-skating.

But do please try to see the other guy's point-of-view, especially the non-US newbie. Something a number of posters seem unable or unwilling to do.:(

JB :)

Only problem with your post is, it's rubbish. There is no pooling of tips to supervisors. Your direct servers get 100% of what you give them, whether it's auto tip or cash.

? on most of the mass market cruise lines, the auto-tip includes the asst Mairte D and asst head housekeeper(the direct line supervisors). They do this because these people were traditionally tipped out by the directly tipped people. So now that the tipping out has been done, they(the directly tipped people) can keep 100% of the extra. FYI also included in most of the pools are the line chefs, bus boys, dishwashers, laundry staff and supply room-all traditionally tipped out people. Most of the cruise lines require cash tips from removers to be placed back into the pool. Most(not all) employees still do that. Because most are honest, the employees know pretty quickly those who pocket the money and because of peer pressure.

Yes bravo for me! If you enjoy paying your tilps up front, good for you. Most cruise lines allow me to remove auto pay and pay directly. I always prefer to receive services prior to paying for them when possible. So if the cruise line is ok with it and they give me this option, of course I will do it the way I prefer. It is all about the customer!

Yes, of course it's all about the customer. Screw the people working to make your cruise memorable. Why care about them when it's all about YOU!

I would bet that with your "I'll tip who I want" attitude, that your tip amounts are miserly at best.

Yes, of course it's all about the customer. Screw the people working to make your cruise memorable. Why care about them when it's all about YOU!

I would bet that with your "I'll tip who I want" attitude, that your tip amounts are miserly at best.

So in your world we should only do it the way you think it is best and if we don't than we are cheap and screwing people over.

Wow, I am so glad I am not like you. The cruise line gives me options, to auto tip or to pay at the end of my cruise. This is a decision all passengers get to make. You have made your decision to auto tip and I have made mine to do it with envelopes, we both have freedom of choice. This is a good thing that we have a choice. I prefer to reward people live, at the end of my cruise and thank them. I have a hard time understanding all your negativity in allowing people to tip the way they feel is best. Relax and please try not to be so negative. Have a wonderful day and smile.

So in your world we should only do it the way you think it is best and if we don't than we are cheap and screwing people over.

In my world, I follow the local customs and practices of the places I visit, including those on a cruise ship. I don't force my own culture and insist that I do it my way. Simply put, I put my faith that the cruise lines have chosen a tipping system that works best and is fair for ALL involved, and I go along with it. I have NEVER had a reason to tip less than the suggested amount, even in the "old days" when these amounts were to be placed in envelopes and handed out to the crew at the end of the cruise. If the service is lacking, I speak up when it occurs and get it corrected. I would never think of enduring lesser service for the entirety of a cruise and then "punish" the person by holding back on tips. And I gladly tip extra for service beyond my expectations, this in cash to the the people who have earned my gratitude.

If you indeed tip the suggested amounts, then you are at least providing an adequate amount, and I commend you for that. But, as has been said before, the cash must be turned over to the supervisor and will be divided among all the people who would have shared the auto tips.

I have read too many threads where people claim they give "X" amount in cash instead of using auto tipping. In most cases, this amount is less than what would have been included with the auto tips. In these cases, at least as described by many devout cash tippers on the many threads on this very topic, the staff does indeed get partially stiffed due to the amount given in cash being lesser that the daily amounts would add up to.

I believe in always tipping and don't understand those who don't however I also believe that it is none of my business what anyone else does. What I have trouble minding my business about however are people that will find any little thing to get angry about as an excuse to not tip. I would respect them a lot more if they honestly said that they weren't tipping because they didn't want to or were cheap, selfish, broke...ect. Anyway just my thoughts on the matter. :)

I believe in always tipping and don't understand those who don't however I also believe that it is none of my business what anyone else does. What I have trouble minding my business about however are people that will find any little thing to get angry about as an excuse to not tip. I would respect them a lot more if they honestly said that they weren't tipping because they didn't want to or were cheap, selfish, broke...ect. Anyway just my thoughts on the matter. :)

Luckily those people are a very small minority if the results of the poll are anywhere close to reality. And within that small percentage of cruisers, whether it's 3%, 5%, or 10%, who don't tip the recommended amounts some will be 'cheap, selfish, broke...etc.' and others will have different reasons for their decision which might reasonable, you just can't know if you are not in that person's shoes.

But until the cruise lines stop allowing people to opt out, and make these 'tips' a mandatory service fee, a small percentage of people will choose to opt out or pay less than the guidelines. I agree with you that it's none of my business what others do and I'm sure that if this opting out ever became a big enough problem for the cruise lines and their employees, changes would be made to the system.

We use auto tip but ALWAYS tip extra ($50) to our room steward when we are in AQ because the service there has always been way above board and our wait staff ($50 - $100) and the spa staff if the service was exemplary and they don't spend more time "selling" than servicing. We are not big users of the bar so not normally there.

Luckily those people are a very small minority if the results of the poll are anywhere close to reality. And within that small percentage of cruisers, whether it's 3%, 5%, or 10%, who don't tip the recommended amounts some will be 'cheap, selfish, broke...etc.' and others will have different reasons for their decision which might reasonable, you just can't know if you are not in that person's shoes.

But until the cruise lines stop allowing people to opt out, and make these 'tips' a mandatory service fee, a small percentage of people will choose to opt out or pay less than the guidelines. I agree with you that it's none of my business what others do and I'm sure that if this opting out ever became a big enough problem for the cruise lines and their employees, changes would be made to the system.

whats the difference between mandatory tips and including it in the fare?Even when its been mandatory there are always screamers who get it removed. try that when its in the fare...although it will cost you more if its in the fare...IMO

I voted "auto-tips plus extra cash for those deserving it". In actuality, we pre-pay the tips before we actually board and then give additional cash tips to those staff who go extra-above and beyond. We have no problem pre-paying tips because I cannot conceive of a situation where the service onboard would be so bad that I would even consider removing the tips(it would have to be atrocious after multiple attempts of trying to rectify whatever was wrong). On occasion (very rarely) there was a situation that something was not to our liking; we simply kindly spoke to (or left a politely written note for) our steward and after that all was well. We also leave cash for our special requests (our requests are within reason); have always had them fulfilled.

whats the difference between mandatory tips and including it in the fare?Even when its been mandatory there are always screamers who get it removed. try that when its in the fare...although it will cost you more if its in the fare...IMO

But if every cruise line adopted this policy, it would all just even out and be the same as it is now and then the workers would stop getting screwed over just so a cruise line could offer a lower price point.

But if every cruise line adopted this policy, it would all just even out and be the same as it is now and then the workers would stop getting screwed over just so a cruise line could offer a lower price point.

But if every passenger adopted the current policies, it would all just even out and then the workers would stop getting screwed over just so some people could save a few bucks by cheating them out of their tips.

Archived