750 members have voted

1. 1. What are your tipping habits?

• Auto-tips + Extra cash for thos deserving it
    • Auto-tips only
    • Remove auto-tips BUT normall tip MORE than the auto tip amount in cash
    • Remove auto-tips BUT normally tip LESS than the auto tip amount in cash
    • Remove auto-tips. ZERO tips

HAL's Rules:

If you wish to remove the Hotel Service Charge, you will be asked to sign a form and the reason for removing it. They need to know if you think the service is not good.

HAL has a policy that once you sign that form and remove the Hotel Service Charge, your name is passed onto the various managers and they pass your name onto the workers under them.

Any cash tips that you give out once that form is signed, the crew members are required to turn that money in and it will then be divided among all the crew members. Any crew member who does not turn in that money will be fired. How honest are the crew members -- I do not know.

We leave the Hotel Service Charge in place and know that any extra cash we give at the end of the cruise is theirs to keep.

If I had expected that the last two poll choices would have gone without any votes, but I would have been very wrong. I am disgusted that as this message was being written, ELEVEN people voted they don't tip at all! And another EIGHT tip less than the recommended amount. What horrible people they must be to be so cheap, inconsiderate and selfish! I hope I never run into them on any of my cruises. I prefer to meet decent people when I travel, not the dregs of society. :mad:

If I had expected that the last two poll choices would have gone without any votes, but I would have been very wrong. I am disgusted that as this message was being written, ELEVEN people voted they don't tip at all! And another EIGHT tip less than the recommended amount. What horrible people they must be to be so cheap, inconsiderate and selfish! I hope I never run into them on any of my cruises. I prefer to meet decent people when I travel, not the dregs of society. :mad:

Sadly the cruise line rules allow this to happen. I see a strong analogy with large corporations avoiding taxes. The tax rules allow them to do so, however distasteful it might be to the majority.

The cruise line own rules are at fault for allowing their employees to be cheated by these passengers. Corporations claim they must behave in this way to maximise their profits for their shareholders. I find little surprise that some copy selfish corporate behaviour to avoid their obligations and maximise their personal gain.

It is commendable that many here exhibit a 'social conscience' despite the selfish approach found elsewhere in modern society.

The cruise line own rules are at fault for registering their ships under flags of convenience to avoid paying living wages to their staff and requiring the pax make up the difference as compulsory tips. If they were called what they TRULY are, a daily resort fee, they would be added to the base advertised cruise fare and people would complain how expensive cruises are

Fixed that for you.

(For the record I have never removed autotips and have occasionally tipped extra cash for stellar service)

I agree with you, but lets not allow ourselves to get more upset than the people getting stiffed. The staff goes into this career knowing a small amount of people will stiff them, just as waiters know it when they take a serving job at a restaurant. There's no way to completely avoid stupid people and the crew gets to see some real hum-dingers. They know that for every cheapskate, there are several more generous tippers to make up for them.

at the risk of playing devils advocate i feel calling people the dregs of society for not tipping enough or at all a bit extreme. there are much worse offences that warrant that title! you're from a tipping culture, some may not be and while it is common to tip a little here in the UK it is done for exceptional service not just doing the job. to us it does seem like a very high figure and i'm already worrying about the bill for the tips alone at the end of my 11 night cruise next month.

at the risk of playing devils advocate i feel calling people the dregs of society for not tipping enough or at all a bit extreme. there are much worse offences that warrant that title! you're from a tipping culture, some may not be and while it is common to tip a little here in the UK it is done for exceptional service not just doing the job. to us it does seem like a very high figure and i'm already worrying about the bill for the tips alone at the end of my 11 night cruise next month.
Those from non-tipping cultures should just add in the cost of the tips into the cruise price. After all, if they were already included, the fare would be that much higher anyway. Six of one, a half dozen of another.

When we travel to different parts of the world we try to follow their norms. If we wanted (demanded?) everything to be the same way as we're accustomed to, why not stay home? When we first went to Australia it was VERY uncomfortable leaving a restaurant not tipping, or only leaving a few coins. We survived.

It is well known that tipping is part of the cost of cruising on US based cruise lines. IMO not paying someone for the work they do is the dregs of society. I agree with SantaFeFan.

Those from non-tipping cultures should just add in the cost of the tips into the cruise price. After all, if they were already included, the fare would be that much higher anyway. Six of one, a half dozen of another.

When we travel to different parts of the world we try to follow their norms. If we wanted (demanded?) everything to be the same way as we're accustomed to, why not stay home? When we first went to Australia it was VERY uncomfortable leaving a restaurant not tipping, or only leaving a few coins. We survived.

It is well known that tipping is part of the cost of cruising on US based cruise lines. IMO not paying someone for the work they do is the dregs of society. I agree with SantaFeFan.

the cruise line pays them for the work they do ...surely a tip is a reward for service above what they are paid to do.

>SNIP<

i'm already worrying about the bill for the tips alone at the end of my 11 night cruise next month.

If you want to reduce the end-of-cruise-bill shock a bit, you can purchase some shipboard credit for yourself through Hol Am's website. We do that, from the time we book a cruise, $50 here and there, and usually at the end of the cruise, we owe very little :) We make sure we buy enough shipboard credit to at least cover the auto-tip, plus any known expenses such as my favorite shampoo from the spa, and a few bottles of wine.

the cruise line pays them for the work they do ...surely a tip is a reward for service above what they are paid to do.

That is not how it works and you know it. Why play dumb? Just be gracious enough to accept that the UK isn't the center of the universe and things in many different countries and places aren't done your way. If your way was so perfect, the entire world would be doing it that way - which it certainly doesn't. To stubbornly take the position that "we don't do it this way where I come from so I won't do it here" is morally wrong. It's that simple. :rolleyes:

If you want to reduce the end-of-cruise-bill shock a bit, you can purchase some shipboard credit for yourself through Hol Am's website. We do that, from the time we book a cruise, $50 here and there, and usually at the end of the cruise, we owe very little :) We make sure we buy enough shipboard credit to at least cover the auto-tip, plus any known expenses such as my favorite shampoo from the spa, and a few bottles of wine.

Or do what many of us experienced cruise do and prepay our gratuities when we make our final payment. That way it is already paid for and isn't added to the final bill. This allows us to give additional tips for superior service without having to worry about the final cost.

That is not how it works and you know it. Why play dumb? Just be gracious enough to accept that the UK isn't the center of the universe and things in many different countries and places aren't done your way. If your way was so perfect, the entire world would be doing it that way - which it certainly doesn't. To stubbornly take the position that "we don't do it this way where I come from so I won't do it here" is morally wrong. It's that simple. :rolleyes:

hold on a minute ...i never said the UK was the centre of the universe nor did i say i wouldn't pay the tips, i'm quite adept at altering my ways according to where i am given i have lived on many different continents. all i was saying is what traditionally a tip is meant to be given for and that the tip is addition to their wage not their actual wage . try reading things properly next time rather than just reading into things what you want to :rolleyes:

i had considered that option with money being so ridiculously tight but unfortunately i now have my beloved grandmothers funeral to budget for too ...i shall just not eat until november lol

Or do what many of us experienced cruise do and prepay our gratuities when we make our final payment. That way it is already paid for and isn't added to the final bill. This allows us to give additional tips for superior service without having to worry about the final cost.

I don't think that is available with Hol Am. For us, buying OBCs works just as well, and we can do some dollar-cost-averaging on the exchange rate(s).

The cruise line pays their crew $50 a month. Would any of you non-tippers work 14+hours a day for $50 a month? We may not agree with how the cruise lines pay their workers, but that's the way it is and we accept it. But, if you want to not pay tips at all, I suggest you travel on cruise lines where tips are not expected---but then you'll be paying 3 to 4 times of what you pay now.

I would love to see if any of the non-tippers would have the cojones to fess up and admit they're cheapskates.

The cruise line pays their crew $50 a month. Would any of you non-tippers work 14+hours a day for $50 a month? We may not agree with how the cruise lines pay their workers, but that's the way it is and we accept it. But, if you want to not pay tips at all, I suggest you travel on cruise lines where tips are not expected---but then you'll be paying 3 to 4 times of what you pay now.

I would love to see if any of the non-tippers would have the cojones to fess up and admit they're cheapskates.

Very well said Darcie!

hold on a minute ...i never said the UK was the centre of the universe nor did i say i wouldn't pay the tips, i'm quite adept at altering my ways according to where i am given i have lived on many different continents. all i was saying is what traditionally a tip is meant to be given for and that the tip is addition to their wage not their actual wage . try reading things properly next time rather than just reading into things what you want to :rolleyes:

Sorry you think that Sloopsailor can't read. I also thought you were criticizing and won't pay extra. We are probably not the only ones to misunderstand. Perhaps you should take another look at what you wrote to see if it matches what you meant. We all do this occasionally, and it does lead to confusion or misunderstandings. It's part of human nature.

We prepay our tips at final payment (RCI) and tip extra on board for exceptional service or any extras. We also tip the kids club staff $50 to $100 when our kids cruise with us.

Prepaying works for us. We get to pay in Canadian $$ and not have to worry about it being on the bill at the end. Out of sight - out of mind. And it also spreads out our spending.

Our 13 night transatlantic is coming up in November. $312 in tips has already been paid and forgotton about. This works for us. YMMV

Anyone who doesn't tip or tips lower than the suggested amount should have the guts to tell the crew who serve them on day one what their intentions are. This will at least give the crew a chance to decide what kind of service you deserve. But they're too chicken to ever do that.:cool: Gutless losers that they are.

• 2 weeks later...

My wife likes the idea of auto tipping because that way ....

I do not tip more than the UCR (usual, customary, reasonable) amount. She hates it when I tip a waiter or waitress more than the 'normal' amount, so to LIMIT my generousity, she likes the pre-tip idea. I do sneak in something extra to those I feel deserving. I definitely tip the curbside baggage handlers $1 per bag, at the least. If someone on board goes over and above, I like to give something extra.

Archived