Is there a storm today?

Barb Nahoumi

Tropical Storm Gabrielle is bearing down on Bermuda, expected to pass very close to the island overnight. It appears that the Dawn waited too late to leave, and will now have to ride out the storm tied up at the Dockyard.

Theron

The Bermuda web cam shows pretty rough water for Bermuda. The Dawn was supposed to leave around 5:00pm. Gabrielle is strengthening with wind now 60mph. It should just barely miss the island passing slightly to the west of the cruise port around midnight. Since the Dawn is still there, they probably decided to stay in port overnight and leave tomorrow morning. The Breakaway is due to get there in the morning also, so they probably worked out the scheduling.

The Dawn tried to go at 3pm but conditions were already unsafe - when I looked at conditions this morning I was expecting her to go by noon at the latest, I'm not sure why the Captain wanted to wait so long to leave. Sadly, his decision has backfired and now the ship is not in a good situation - tied up at a fairly exposed dock for the night. Fortunately Gabrielle is only a tropical storm, not a hurricane, else one might be afeared about mooring lines or dolphins breaking - it's an insecure ship slamming against the dock that is so dangerous - but gusts to 75 knots as forecast should be OK.

The Breakaway won't be in till sometime in the afternoon - they're wisely sitting out at sea waiting for it all to go away.

Wed 8.30am - Dawn's finally underway back to Boston - hope the sea's not too lumpy, I have a friend sailing on her.

Did you lose power at all? Friend was worried you might. He said if they did and it rained, the house gets very hot when they can't open the windows for the breeze.

Thanks for the update... heading there on Sept 29... stay s

afe my friend...

?? Is the Explorer there??

There are no cruise ships at the Dockyard yet when I just looked.

The Explorer is not cruising to Bermuda in September. I believe it is doing Canada/New England. GoS is doing Bermuda in September/

SBtS

There are no cruise ships at the Dockyard yet when I just looked.

The Explorer is not cruising to Bermuda in September. I believe it is doing Canada/New England. GoS is doing Bermuda in September/

SBtS

Yes. I am heading down to Bermuda on GoS on the 27th... And I thought EoS did have at least one Bermuda run in Sep, as I was looking to switch if GoS did not come back into service soon enough. If its the 29th, they will be coming just as we are leaving. :D

Oh Thanks, leaving for Bermuda Sept 29 and I'm wondering what about RC and where do we go if we can't get to Bermuda..

Thanks for the update

:eek:

I was going to say lovely Baltimore, but Explorer won't fit under the bridge. :D

If there weather is too bad to reach Bermuda, I wonder if you could go anywhere south - maybe it's New England and Canada? I really don't know, but fear we will be in same boat if something bad comes through when we are scheduled to leave on the 27th...

I was going to say lovely Baltimore, but Explorer won't fit under the bridge. :D

If there weather is too bad to reach Bermuda, I wonder if you could go anywhere south - maybe it's New England and Canada? I really don't know, but fear we will be in same boat if something bad comes through when we are scheduled to leave on the 27th...

Bermuda is almost two full days away from the east coast ports. Typical cruise time from Baltimore to Bermuda is 40-45 hours - depending on how much fuel they want to burn up. That means there is no "nearby alternative". They have to decide well in advance where they are going to go if there are weather concerns, because from half way there, you're still a good day and a half, to two days sail time to anywhere else.

Most of the time it seems that they just alter the times in port, but in the past for some of the bigger storms, there have been cases where they changed the entire itinerary to a NE/Canada cruise. That got a lot of attention because the late notice left most passengers improperly dressed.

Summary: If you're going to cruise in hurricane season, pay close attention to the weather and be prepared to be flexible!

:)

Theron

Bermuda is almost two full days away from the east coast ports. Typical cruise time from Baltimore to Bermuda is 40-45 hours - depending on how much fuel they want to burn up. That means there is no "nearby alternative". They have to decide well in advance where they are going to go if there are weather concerns, because from half way there, you're still a good day and a half, to two days sail time to anywhere else.

Most of the time it seems that they just alter the times in port, but in the past for some of the bigger storms, there have been cases where they changed the entire itinerary to a NE/Canada cruise. That got a lot of attention because the late notice left most passengers improperly dressed.

Summary: If you're going to cruise in hurricane season, pay close attention to the weather and be prepared to be flexible!

:)

Theron

LOL. We have a 4 year old - flexible is part of our DNA. I agree - the itinerary would be changed, if at all, at sailing. What I was not sure about, was if there was enough ocean to sneak down to PC, Bahamas, Etc. as an alternate route, or if the bad weather was blocking you from going to Bermuda, then it was blocking you from all points south.

BTW - I have not heard about any bad weather yet. How soon do they start predicting possible storms coming through???

LOL. We have a 4 year old - flexible is part of our DNA. I agree - the itinerary would be changed, if at all, at sailing. What I was not sure about, was if there was enough ocean to sneak down to PC, Bahamas, Etc. as an alternate route, or if the bad weather was blocking you from going to Bermuda, then it was blocking you from all points south.

BTW - I have not heard about any bad weather yet. How soon do they start predicting possible storms coming through???

I think that one incident I mentioned did prevent a southern alternate. On the good side, most storms that are in the area of Bermuda are still moving fairly fast, so they don't last long. Of course if it's a very strong storm, Bermuda can be damaged beyond the ability to accept tourists for a few days or even more.

We are at the peak of hurricane season right now. This has been an unusually quiet beginning to the season so far. Does that mean there will be even more in the second half? Who knows... if I did, I'd be a weather man! :)

ETA: I see you are sailing in about two weeks... if I were you, I would start watching the tropical weather websites in about a week. If a tropical wave comes off the coast of Africa in about a week or so, that would be a time frame that could potentially impact your cruise. A storm can pop up in the Caribbean at any time as well, but any such storm would likely be less than 7 days from impacting Bermuda.

Theron

I think that one incident I mentioned did prevent a southern alternate. On the good side, most storms that are in the area of Bermuda are still moving fairly fast, so they don't last long. Of course if it's a very strong storm, Bermuda can be damaged beyond the ability to accept tourists for a few days or even more.

We are at the peak of hurricane season right now. This has been an unusually quiet beginning to the season so far. Does that mean there will be even more in the second half? Who knows... if I did, I'd be a weather man! :)

ETA: I see you are sailing in about two weeks... if I were you, I would start watching the tropical weather websites in about a week. If a tropical wave comes off the coast of Africa in about a week or so, that would be a time frame that could potentially impact your cruise. A storm can pop up in the Caribbean at any time as well, but any such storm would likely be less than 7 days from impacting Bermuda.

Theron

Thanks Theron. I will watch one of the weather sites.

Archived