D3T Alaskan Cruise Tour on the Statendam 8/28-9/8/2013

RedHeadTexan

I thought now would be a good time to post some pictures of our cabin. We originally booked an inside cabin on Deck 5, but switch to a category HH (obstructed ocean view) when the price dropped to less than what we paid for our original cabin. I also got some OBC by doing this.

The cabin was great for us with plenty of room, but why don't you see for yourself:

DSC05531_zpsec523fbf.jpg

DSC05529_zps42dfaf98.jpg

DSC05530_zps7863ad21.jpg

DSC05535_zpsf3f37938.jpg

DSC05534_zps6f7a5933.jpg

DSC05532_zps70af9add.jpg

Technically 312 is an obstructed view, but in reality this cabin does have a nice view. Unfortunately, I took the pictures on a really foggy day so there is no scenery to view in these.

Looking straight out the window

DSC06516_zpsd3a050e1.jpg

Angled Views

DSC06517_zpsde0fad7a.jpg

DSC06519_zpsb00ebbba.jpg

Basically, you get daylight in the room and you can see what the weather is doing.

Loving your review - thank you! Just have to tell you that I agree 100% about the crabby grilled cheese sandwich - OMG! It is to die for, isn't it? We were in Denali for three nights in early June of this year, and we happened to stop for dinner there one night - BEST. SANDWICH. EVER.

Keep up the good work on the review - can't wait for more!

Today was our first sea day and we finally slept in. We got a quick workout at the gym at 9am and wandered off to the Lido buffet for breakfast. The gym is small, but adequate with treadmills, ellipticals, stationary bikes, weight machines, and a yoga/stretch area.

I love to cook, so we went to two of Chef Ragu's demonstrations: Halibut and LeCirque demos. We tried lunch in the Rotterdam dining room and it was quite nice. 3pm we wandered over to the Dutch High Tea, our first, and it was amazing. We liked it so much that we did the teas two more times.

DSC05548_zps994453fc.jpg

DSC05550_zps1baf295a.jpg

Since tonight was formal night, I made a reservation at Canaletto so we would not have to dress up. I did have formal gowns and DH planned on bringing his tux, but I have lost 60 pounds this year and my formals were too big. I had bought gowns in smaller sizes for this trip, but the weight came off faster than I expected...what a terrible problem...JK... So instead of spending money on more gowns, we decided to skip it. Canaletto was fantastic! I had the Veal Osso Bucco and Lemoncello dessert. YUM!

When we did the Denali trip in 2011 I loved the Salmon Bake. I had the cedar plank baked Salmon and loved it. The portion was huge as I remember.

Your picture of the train car really captured that experience. My grandson spent all his time on the back platform also. However it was quite a bit warmer in early August.

Hope you feel better soon. That change of climate plus the time breathing airplane air really can encourage any lurking cold germs.

Looking forward to the continuation of your saga. BTW, have you read Captain Albert's blog of your Seward-Vancouver journey?

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/albert/?p=7881

When we did the Denali trip in 2011 I loved the Salmon Bake. I had the cedar plank baked Salmon and loved it. The portion was huge as I remember.

Your picture of the train car really captured that experience. My grandson spent all his time on the back platform also. However it was quite a bit warmer in early August.

Hope you feel better soon. That change of climate plus the time breathing airplane air really can encourage any lurking cold germs.

Looking forward to the continuation of your saga. BTW, have you read Captain Albert's blog of your Seward-Vancouver journey?

http://www.hollandamericablog.com/albert/?p=7881

I have not read it yet, but my parent's followed along during our journey. I plan on reading it when I get a chance.

Lisa

Wow, thank you for sharing this with us Lisa. Brings back memories. When we did our Alaska Cruise it did not include the Denali tour, but we too were on the Statendam and your cabin looks exactly like ours only we were one deck below the promenade deck. I remember looking out our window to see what that horrendous noise was we just heard, just to see we were scrapping along one of the icebergs (not sure if that's what they are but what else are they?) as we went past. Can't wait to continue on your journey with you via your review.

Hi Lisa, could you say something about tips at the McKinley Chalet? I will be going next year I still don't fully understand the tipping policy on Hal's tour tips. It says for the hotel a $40 or a $50 tip is advised. Great review, I am enjoying it very much.

Hi Lisa, could you say something about tips at the McKinley Chalet? I will be going next year I still don't fully understand the tipping policy on Hal's tour tips. It says for the hotel a $40 or a $50 tip is advised. Great review, I am enjoying it very much.

I did not tip at the McKinley Chalet since I did not think that this trip qualified as an "expedition" hotel...I am not even sure what that meant. Also, this was not an all inclusive resort...just a room. I did tip the narrator on the train car $20 since Walt really enjoyed his commentary and I tipped the bus driver from Denali to Seward $20 as well. Both narrations were great and I felt that was an appropriate tip.

While I am on the subject, you are better off getting breakfast at the "starbucks" in the lobby or going to Subway or the Salmon Bake. The hot breakfast buffet at the Sourdough Trading Company (on the resort property) was $20pp and the continental breakfast was $15pp. I am not cheap, but I thought those prices were high in comparison to the places nearby.

Lisa

I did not tip at the McKinley Chalet since I did not think that this trip qualified as an "expedition" hotel...I am not even sure what that meant. Also, this was not an all inclusive resort...just a room. I did tip the narrator on the train car $20 since Walt really enjoyed his commentary and I tipped the bus driver from Denali to Seward $20 as well. Both narrations were great and I felt that was an appropriate tip.

While I am on the subject, you are better off getting breakfast at the "starbucks" in the lobby or going to Subway or the Salmon Bake. The hot breakfast buffet at the Sourdough Trading Company (on the resort property) was $20pp and the continental breakfast was $15pp. I am not cheap, but I thought those prices were high in comparison to the places nearby.

Lisa

Thank you Lisa for the quick reply. That was my thoughts also about the Chalet from what I read before. Thanks for the heads up on the Sourdough - sounds a little high. I can't wait for my trip to begin. Glad that you enjoyed yours. Can't wait for more of the review.

Rick

September 3rd

For the first and only time this trip, we ate breakfast in the Rotterdam dining room. We shared a 6-top with two other couples and watched the gorgeous scenery.

After breakfast we ordered coffee from room service to enjoy on the Promenade deck during our Glacier Bay visit. We really enjoyed our coffee all day in the teak loungers with the HAL supplied wool blankets. In Denali we purchased two thermal coffee travel mugs to keep our coffee nice and warm. That did the trick.

While we were entering Glacier Bay, our fellow passengers spotted some Orcas...we missed them. But I did see a Humpback while I was on the bow. Back on the Promenade I saw some sheep on the mountain side. At noon we partook in the Salmon Bake next to the Lido pool and as was par for the course we ordered a bucket of Alaskan Amber (if you have read my previous reviews, you know that local beers are a big part of my cruising experience).

At 2pm we encountered our 1st glacier...Marjorie Glacier! OMG, this was an incredible sight and soooo cold. I took a bunch of pictures and even let the ship's photographer take one of us. Fortunately, a fellow passenger that was also a professional photographer took a pic of us with my camera too. We never found the ship's pic, but had a great one on my camera.

P9030090_zps16d76ecc.jpg

P9030092_zps8b6fc01e.jpg

P9030087_zpsce175a5d.jpg

DSC05661_zpsab451aca.jpg

DSC05636_zps1f101042.jpg

DSC05678_zpscb563a61.jpg

At 3pm we did the Indonesian Tea which included wonderful snacks from Indonesia and the wait staff was in Indonesian costume. After that we saw John Hopkins and Lamplugh Glaciers...more picture taking there. After Glacier Bay we enjoyed a wonderful dinner compliments of my awesomely incredible travel agent at the Pinnacle Grill. We dressed in Smart Casual Attire and I would say it was half SCA and half in suits and cocktail attire. So, as long as you are not wearing jeans, printed t-shirts, shorts, or tank tops, you will be A-OK.

Edited by RedHeadTexan

While we were in Glacier Bay I ran inside to use the bathroom in our cabin. I walked by the stairs and a man said "I found a bird." Well that diverted me from the task at hand. I looked at the little bird on the stairs and said we should get him outside. Well, now there are a group of men and me staring at the bird. It became obvious that they were not going to attempt to save it, so after taking it's picture I scooped him into my hands.

I was really shocked when I had to order the guys to open the doors for me to get him outside...really? I can't carry a bird and open the doors.

Before freeing the little guy, I called over the girl on our cruise...think she was around 10 years old to show her the bird. According to her grandparents this made her day. Here's my bird:

P9030074_zps78ad6313.jpg

P1000970_zpsb33e194b.jpg

I am sure my mother will be horrified that I picked up a bird. :D

Bird Rescuer on the left and photographer on the right:

P9010047_zps0e196302.jpg

Land Ho!!!!!!!!!!! We arrived in Haines around 6am. We booked HAL'S bicycle excursion at 9am. It was a nine mile round trip ride out to the lake and back. It was an extremely windy and chilly day with on and off light rain, so not the ideal riding conditions. On our ride we did see several bald eagles and mama grizzly with her cub catching fish. The ride back to the van was against the wind and was a tough ride.

P9040132_zps82a80098.jpg

P9040127_zps6d71e2c8.jpg

We got back to the bike shop around noon and went next door to the Fireweed Restaurant. There I tried the Spruce Tip beer from the Haines Brewing Company and it was a really nice beer. Fireweed is close to the ship on Blacksmith and has good pizza and sandwiches.

We wandered around Haines in the afternoon looking for the Totem Poles around town and taking pictures. We walked to the fair grounds to check the brewery. Since it was packed with three other couples (small standing room only area to taste in), we decided it was not to bother and caught the $1 per person shuttle back to the ship. After we dropped off some of our gear we got back off the ship and went to downtown for some shopping. By 4:30 the cold, wind, and rain got the best of me and we boarded the ship and stayed inside the rest of the day.

DSC05737_zps16d88b22.jpg

DSC05742_zps0af535be.jpg

DSC05748_zps24af8f3b.jpg

One interesting note, tonight we were once again given a table for 2 in open seating without asking for one. Most people were asked to share, but not us. I really wonder if it had to do with my age being so much younger than the vast majority of passengers. Hmm.