Best sea sickness prevention

Seas_Please

Glad to hear that - but this drug is NOT available in the United States = too many side effects!

Please could you tell us the side effects? :eek:

It's OK I've found the list of possible side effects on the NHS (National HealthService) website.Luckily we weren't affected.

Sometimes, when I look at possible side effects of remedies I wonder if it's safe to take any medication.

I took bonine on a speedboat cruise from Ft. Myers to Key West and back. It worked fine, but on the two hour road trip home, I fought like crazy to keep my eyes open. I was soooo drowsy.:( My doc says if you wait until you feel queazy to put on the patch, it's too late.

I took bonine on a speedboat cruise from Ft. Myers to Key West and back. It worked fine, but on the two hour road trip home, I fought like crazy to keep my eyes open. I was soooo drowsy.:( My doc says if you wait until you feel queazy to put on the patch, it's too late.

Bonine is a once in a day pill, not a patch.

http://www.bonine.com/products/bonine-original

For me, it works far better than anything else. I take a pill before I go to bed and wake up feeling great. As the effect lasts for 24 hours, no need to take one during the day and experience drowsiness. I sleep really well onboard ship - maybe it's the Bonine, maybe it's the sea air and days spent snorkelling and the nights spent dancing. :D

Now, if only we could get it in Canada. :(

Bonine is a once in a day pill, not a patch.

http://www.bonine.com/products/bonine-original

Yes I know. I meant I took the bonine pill and became very drowsy. I've also used the patch which might have worked a little better for me but still made me feel a bit out of sorts. That's why I was wondering if there's anything new on the market with fewer side effects that works well.

be out on deck, facing foward, with a breeze in the face.... acts to allign the sences and stabilize the inner-ear which is the source of seasickness and vertigo. Pilots long ago discovered if you keep looking foward and aligned with the direction of travel it works

So get out of the cabin, grab a chair and face it foward..... works for me and many

I never use drugs because that leads to other problems....

Hubby is former submariner in the nuclear Navy, and he agrees with Hawaiidan's remedy. I suffer terribly from motion sickness, and can usually get by on just this action of going outside and focusing on the far horizon. When the illness surpasses this, then I take one chewable Bonine, get a massage, lie down and nap for a couple of hours, and when I wake up things are usually far better.

be out on deck, facing foward, with a breeze in the face.... acts to allign the sences and stabilize the inner-ear which is the source of seasickness and vertigo.

I once spent all night outside on a ferry across the North Sea. It definitely works, but tough to stay outside for an entire cruise. For me, it was never a permanent fix, just a temporary one.

Once I get past the initial bout of motion sickness, I'm usually done with it for the entire cruise, I think my equilibrium must adjust or something. Unless there is a really bad day...Tasmanian Sea...or some serious storm....

At the first day at sea, even prior to any onset, set the body up to embrace the ships pitch and yaw. using the facing foward deal... after about 4 or so hours your sences are adjusted and wont go back.

If they do start spend a few hours letting the inner ear get used to the gyrations as a normal thing. Your body will adapt..it might take several tries Then nothing will matter. If at first it dosent work try again 50% of sea sickness in mental.... really , much is in your mind

We surface skimmers and airdales can go through 25 degree pitches with 30 degree rolls day after say wolfing down yummy bacon and greasy sausages....all day long

Dan, I believe you. The only thing that has ever made me seasick is bacon for breakfast before the pitch and roll began, once on a dive boat before I learned better & once on a cruise ship which subsequent to breakfast could not dock in port due to a storm in the Med (we were on Deck 10 of Marina and the splash of the waves breaking on the ship was higher than our balcony). I will definitely try your remedy if I ever start feeling queasy again aboard.

Archived