Ft Lauderdale hotel recommendations

fourkittys

We just stayed at Embassy Suites.

They have the free cocktail hour in the evening (I think it's actually 2 hours) and free made to order breakfast.

Right behind the hotel is the Harbor Shops Mall (http://www.theharborshops.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/fountain2.jpg). There is a Publix and Total Wine.

Across the street is Outback Steakhouse.

Lots of things within walking distance.

We stayed at the Crowne Plaza in Hallendale. Its about a 15 min drive from the airport, right across from the beach, several restaurants nearby, the boardwalk is close as well as the race track. Nice rooms, really great staff, nice pool & bar. If you are staying a couple of days I would recommend this hotel.

Need to check out the Florida Departures port of call here on the main forum. Lots of suggestions. We stayed at the Rodeway Inn, not close to anything but the offer a shuttle to port/airport free of charge and they had a shuttle for $5 round trip fee to the nearest shopping area.

They have the free cocktail hour in the evening (I think it's actually 2 hours) and free made to order breakfast.

Right behind the hotel is the Harbor Shops Mall (http://www.theharborshops.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/10/fountain2.jpg). There is a Publix and Total Wine.

Our choice hotel for FLL too. Love it.

We also stayed pre-cruise at the Embassy Suites...very convenient to the Publix/Total Wine, as someone stated above. Their shuttle couldn't have been better.

We stayed post-cruise at the Lago Mar hotel...definitely not a budget hotel but it was one of the best hotel experiences we've ever had. They did not have a shuttle form the port, but it was (if memory serves) about a $10 cab ride..it's up the street from the port - very cheap.

I don't consider the Embassy Suites very cost efficient and for the most part overpriced, especially since they don't have an airport shuttle.

It's hard to recommend a cost efficient hotel without knowing the price. The best thing for the OP to do is run a search on one of the travel sites, get room rates and go from there.

Cost efficient in summer season is about $100. Cost efficient in winter season is about $200. Sleep Inn Dania is usually in the lowest range and has a free airport shuttle and breakfast. There are 3 casual restaurants (Ponchos's Backyard is recommended), Publix, and Walgreens next door, and it's a mile from the beach. There isn't anything else near there though. Also look at Valuetrips (great prices) for Hyatt Place, which is an excellent choice and has shuttle.

We have stayed at the Hyatt Place 17th St. Convention Center. It's 1/2 block from the Embassy Suites and, of course, just as convenient. Has free shuttle from airport and for fee shuttle to port. And it's less expensive than ES.

Again, depends on your definition of cost efficient. She/he has never defined that.

The ES allows me to not have to rent a car, pay for breakfast, or buy an evening cocktail. I can do everything I need to do pre-cruise within walking distance. It works for my budget, it may not for someone else's. With a $15 taxi ride, I'm still ahead, again, according to my budget.

Roz

I am sorry my recommendations and advice offended you, and didn't match exactly what the OP was looking for. You didn't need to shout at me. I was only trying to help, based on my personal experience. Sometimes you can't get everything you want, and have to compromise. I was merely offering an option.

Roz

P.S. I do not guzzle free booze. What's wrong with relaxing in the atrium with a glass of wine? Geez!

The flight cost out of FL following our cruise is outrageous so decided to stay a day or two. Please recomend a clean cost efficient hotel that is close to airport w/shuttle and a few blocks to a few restaurnats. Thank you in advance!!!!

Like you, our airfare from Toronto to FLL next April is very expensive - like over $600 pp expensive.

Our balcony cabin on our cruise is expensive too. (Our choice of course).

So the hotel situation was a bit of a quandry for us too.

We decided to add two full extra days to our holiday, and fly in Thursday evening, and stay 3 nights at Embassy Suites, 17th street.

(our cruise departs on Sunday)

Our logic (which may not suit everyone) is that this hotel qualifies to us as a resort hotel with all the amenities we need/want (nice outdoor pool, etc),

it has large 2-room suites, free breakfast, managers cocktail party each evening (which we will take advantage of ;)).

As well, it is super close to the port, to a variety of stores, good restaurants, and only a few blocks to the beach / water taxi.

Originally I wasn't going to get a car, but changed my mind when I found I could get one through Budget right across the street, on free points.

So I'll p-u Friday morning, and drop it off exactly 2 days later. Perfect. No fuss no muss. (and they include a free shuttle to the port).

I looked at about 6 other hotels in that area, including some mentioned above, and although I was leaning towards Pier 66, DW insisted on Embassy Suites.

I am sorry my recommendations and advice offended you, and didn't match exactly what the OP was looking for. You didn't need to shout at me. I was only trying to help, based on my personal experience. Sometimes you can't get everything you want, and have to compromise. I was merely offering an option.

Roz

P.S. I do not guzzle free booze. What's wrong with relaxing in the atrium with a glass of wine? Geez!

No one is shouting at you.

When doing a cost analysis taking into all factors when we travel.

Food - transportation - alcohol - nice rooms - close to shopping - and restuarants , we looked on-line at various hotels in The FLL area and did look at what they had to offer and the cost.

A cab is quick convient transportation to port, and gets you there when you want to go, not wait on a "free" shuttle and have to wait on others .

And of course after consulting cruise critic we opted for the Embassy Suites and we are so glad we did.

So glad we again booked it before our next July cruise and before taxes got $109.

The managers cockail time (2 hours) complete bar we got our moneys worth I had to Captain Morgans and coke cola...(I am a cheap date), DH had 2 7/7 DD had soda.

The breakfast is complete made to order.

I realize it is not on the beach (so what), for one night I can chill, and if needed have another Captain:D

I recommend the Embassy suites.

Sea Ya

We are staying at the Embassy Suites the week before Thanksgiving for 3 days pre-cruise at 103.00 a night. If that is not cost efficient then I don't know what is. That is dirt cheap. And for all you get (breakfast and cocktail reception) that is the best deal going IMHO. If that isn't good enough then I am sure you can find a Motel 6 somewhere. They will leave the light on for you. :)

Paul

We were interested in staying at Embassy Suites but they are booked for the date we needed. :( We also have to park our car for the 14 day cruise so we are looking for a cruise n park package that won't cost an arm and a leg:D

You might want to contact the Hyatt Place Convention Centre and ask them about the cruise rate, it's just around the corner from the Embassy Suites.

Archived