Detailed Photo Review of Carnival Sunshine 12-Night Mediterranean Cruise 9/8/13

deladane

Thanks everyone! I'm sort of sad to be finished with the review because it was fun for me to relive my the vacation as I wrote about it :) Not sure when I will get to cruise again, but hopefully some of us can cross paths again (or for the first time!)

Bravo!! Great review! I'm also sort of sad that you've finished the review. We did the same cruise on the Legend last May and I relived each port with you. Our cruise was crazy-busy and WONDERFUL! I would do it all again in a heartbeat.

How unfortunate that Carnival pulled out of the Mediterranean market. I felt it was a steal of a cruise! Hopefully they will return some day.

Well Dana you did a great job! We did so many ports together but still fun to remember them with each of your post, and also to see the last few days what you did that we weren't together. Now I feel we need to return to Barcelona since we only spent about a day there, although we did a lot with the help of Juan we saw La Familia, Gaudi Park, and made it to the Fountain. Again great job see ya on FB. :)

Loved your review on this cruise. I too would love to do a Mediterranean cruise and especially some of the Italian ports that you have visited. It's unfortunate that there are no immediate plans for Carnival to be there and with the restrictions on Venice it's not sounding very promising. I can only hope!

I just spent a couple of HOURS sitting at my desk reading this whole review and I am honestly,absolutely, totally ASTOUNDED at the sites you saw and the things you did and the planning, the ENERGY of it all...I have ALWAYS and FOREVER wanted to do this exact cruise and if I could have one wish I would wish that I had been your shadow for those 2 weeks. The weather, the things you saw...how do you come back from it??? This is something I know I will never be able to do, so thank you for letting me experience it in a little way thru you. I just cannot get my jaw off the floor! :eek::eek:

I am going to ask you a VERY NOSY question and if you don't want to answer it, NO PROBLEM....how much would you estimate the whole trip cost you? Air, cruise, tours, incidentals, your after cruise visit (I CANNOT for the life of me imagine seeing that church in Barcelona in person :eek:) Just so I would have an estimate of what I would have to win in the lottery! :rolleyes: Again, if I am being too personal, don't hesitate to tell me to mind my own business. THANK YOU for sharing this. Every single picture took my breath away. The knowledge you showed at each different port amazes me....GOOD LUCK to you in all your future travels!

Excellent trip report and awesome photos!

I just LOVE flying into Venice. It's a pain from where we live, but there's nothing like it! I'm glad you got to start from Venice. It's such a fantastic place to begin a cruise.

Isn't Romeinlimo awesome! For the life of me I don't understand people getting on a big bus to do a ship tour. And for more money and less control…. no thanks!

I know how much time you put into this. I'm sure it will help tons of others plan their Med. cruise! I think your pictures are awesome and after having my own SLR camera for a few years, I gave it up for my little camera and enjoyed the freedom of just enjoying the cruise with my friends and family.

Awwww… time to start planning another Med. cruise. You have made me itchy :D

I just spent a couple of HOURS sitting at my desk reading this whole review and I am honestly,absolutely, totally ASTOUNDED at the sites you saw and the things you did and the planning, the ENERGY of it all...I have ALWAYS and FOREVER wanted to do this exact cruise and if I could have one wish I would wish that I had been your shadow for those 2 weeks. The weather, the things you saw...how do you come back from it??? This is something I know I will never be able to do, so thank you for letting me experience it in a little way thru you. I just cannot get my jaw off the floor! :eek::eek:

I am going to ask you a VERY NOSY question and if you don't want to answer it, NO PROBLEM....how much would you estimate the whole trip cost you? Air, cruise, tours, incidentals, your after cruise visit (I CANNOT for the life of me imagine seeing that church in Barcelona in person :eek:) Just so I would have an estimate of what I would have to win in the lottery! :rolleyes: Again, if I am being too personal, don't hesitate to tell me to mind my own business. THANK YOU for sharing this. Every single picture took my breath away. The knowledge you showed at each different port amazes me....GOOD LUCK to you in all your future travels!

If you add up everything including flights, the cruise price, pre- and post-cruise hotels, excursions, and taxis to/from the airport/cruise terminal, we spent about $3000 each. The flights were by far the most expensive part of the cost, and it really helped that Carnival chopped our cruise price waaaay lower than we could have expected! I thought that was a pretty reasonable price considering we were away for 2.5 weeks and did full day excursions nearly every day! My research on Cruise Critic also really helped to keep the costs down as people made some excellent suggestions on where to go and where to save money :) I hope that helps! It's definitely a bucket list kind of experience so if you can find a way to cut a few corners, it's worth doing once in your life!!

If you add up everything including flights, the cruise price, pre- and post-cruise hotels, excursions, and taxis to/from the airport/cruise terminal, we spent about $3000 each. The flights were by far the most expensive part of the cost, and it really helped that Carnival chopped our cruise price waaaay lower than we could have expected! I thought that was a pretty reasonable price considering we were away for 2.5 weeks and did full day excursions nearly every day! My research on Cruise Critic also really helped to keep the costs down as people made some excellent suggestions on where to go and where to save money :) I hope that helps! It's definitely a bucket list kind of experience so if you can find a way to cut a few corners, it's worth doing once in your life!!

Thanks! That is not bad at all. I mean, it's a LOT of $, but as you said, from what you experienced, it seems totally worth it. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime. I would imagine if you did this on your own vs. a cruise, it would be double that between hotels, renting cars and if you had to "pay" for the kind of meals that you get on a ship, it would really be more expensive. :eek: Thanks again for sharing this incredible journey!

Such a shame your cruise and review have come to an end.

Last week, I booked myself on a nine day cruise on the Norwegian Spirit that sails from Barcelona this Friday! We're headed in the opposite direction, though. We're scheduled to call at Casablanca, Arrecife, Funchal, and Malaga.

This time around, I think I'll take inspiration from you, Dana, and prepare a review with photos here in the forums.

Once again, thanks, and hopefully we'll meet at sea one day.

Sent from my Asus Fonepad using the Cruise Critic app.

Isn't Romeinlimo awesome! For the life of me I don't understand people getting on a big bus to do a ship tour. And for more money and less control…. no thanks! :D
Just a side note on this, as we were with Dana on this sailing..:p

Rome in Limo vehicles seemed to be 'over and above' as far as comfort and seating, compared to others.. :)

We never felt crowded with their tours, however we did on a couple others.. Kudos to RIL... :cool:

Thanks! That is not bad at all. I mean, it's a LOT of $, but as you said, from what you experienced, it seems totally worth it. Sounds like a trip of a lifetime. I would imagine if you did this on your own vs. a cruise, it would be double that between hotels, renting cars and if you had to "pay" for the kind of meals that you get on a ship, it would really be more expensive. :eek: Thanks again for sharing this incredible journey!

I'd say you got one great bargain for your $$$. You did a fantastic job on the review. I loved every word and picture. Travelling with your mom is a memory you'll have forever. Cherish it.

Wow. Very impressed. You had a great trip and at a great price. I am surprised you were able to do all of this so cheap. Well done.

We will be spending a month in Europe total with 2 weeks of that on the NCL Spirit. There are 6 of us... Me, my wife and our 4 boys. Right now we are at about $60k or $10k per person. But we are flying first class. We could of saved about $15k if we flew coach. The cruise was $10k. I am guessing before it is over we will be at about $75k. It is expensive having a big family. Lol.

After reading this review we just booked Rome in a Limo for 3 different private tours. For me, my wife and 4 boys. They sound really good.

You will love RIL! I wish we had used them for all of our Italian port excursions. Well worth the money and so professional. I will be booking them the next time we're in Italy!

When do you head to Europe?

You will love RIL! I wish we had used them for all of our Italian port excursions. Well worth the money and so professional. I will be booking them the next time we're in Italy!

When do you head to Europe?

That is good to know. We booked them for 3 different ports. All private tours.

We leave on the kids last day of school. June 4th. It seems so far away.

Before then we have a christmas break cruise on the Sunshine, a spring break cruise on the NCL Star and a presidents week trip to Cancun. We vacation whenever the kids are out of school.

Wow. Very impressed. You had a great trip and at a great price. I am surprised you were able to do all of this so cheap. Well done.

We will be spending a month in Europe total with 2 weeks of that on the NCL Spirit. There are 6 of us... Me, my wife and our 4 boys. Right now we are at about $60k or $10k per person. But we are flying first class. We could of saved about $15k if we flew coach. The cruise was $10k. I am guessing before it is over we will be at about $75k. It is expensive having a big family. Lol.

haha thanks! In general, I'm usually pretty good at finding good deals on things, so I just translated that over into my vacation research. It does take a bit of time to decide if the cheapest option is the best option, and sometimes it's worth it to spend a little extra money to have a better experience (ie: using Rome in Limo instead of some of the other less expensive private companies) We also opted to cut corners on the cruise itself, by sailing on Carnival which is cheaper than any other cruise line at baseline, and then had a huge drop in cruise fares after the Triumph incident. And we had an inside cabin, vs. the balconies which would have cost us twice as much. Overall, I am happy with the decisions we made and it turned out to be a fantastic, and affordable, vacation :) I hope you have a great trip with your family, and please come back and post a review when it's over so we can all experience it with you!! :)

• 4 weeks later...

We have booked med cruise for june 2014 and planning our excursions, so went on cruise critic for info and came across your reviews. Great pics and good info. Think your mom is in or close to our age bracket, so wondering how all that walking was for her and how feet held up. Pretty close to same itinerary. Interested in what anyone has to say about excursion to capri and the funicular trip up. Thanks again for great blog of your trip, as we countdown to our own

We have booked med cruise for june 2014 and planning our excursions, so went on cruise critic for info and came across your reviews. Great pics and good info. Think your mom is in or close to our age bracket, so wondering how all that walking was for her and how feet held up. Pretty close to same itinerary. Interested in what anyone has to say about excursion to capri and the funicular trip up. Thanks again for great blog of your trip, as we countdown to our own

My Mother is 91 yr. old. When we were on the cruise 2yrs. ago she was 89. This lady is like no other. She works in her veggie and flower gardens everyday that weather lets her. She cuts grass (not much) but never the less she is cutting. She uses a wheel barrow to haul off all her trimmings. To answer your question, she is like the energizer bunny. Her feet are in great shape. My wife and I are in our early 60s and this wonderful women will walk circles around us. Enjoy your trip.

My mom injured her knee a few weeks before we left on the trip, so she spent most of the time in pain and struggling a bit to keep up with the group. She wore a knee brace and stayed off her feet as much as possible at night on the ship, but she was definitely hurting with all the walking during the day. Had she not injured her knee, she would have been fine with all the walking (she did a land trip through Italy the previous year and had no issues walking around all day). There were some places that were harder for her than others- climbing up the 85 steps to the top of the city walls in Dubrovnik, walking around on the uneven grounds at the Acropolis in Athens and through Ephesus in Izmir, and up and down all the stairs in the Gaudi houses in Barcelona, among others. My suggestion is to take as many rest breaks as possible, maybe eat a sit down lunch to use a few minutes to rest, and don't over-schedule your day and you should be fine! :). Enjoy your cruise and be sure to come back and let us know how it went!!

Upcoming cruise:

Carnival Victory 12/9/12 (Puerto Rico, St. Thomas, Barbados, St. Lucia, St. Kitts, St. Marteen)

Previous cruises:

Celebrity Summit- Nov. 2010 (Puerto Rico, St. Croix, St. Kitts, Dominica, Grenada, Tobago)

Carnival Holiday- July 1997 (Catalina Island and Ensenada Beach, Mexico)

Her mom here! The walking was very manageable despite an injury that had my knee in a brace on one leg and a broken toe on the other. The folks we toured with were very helpful and patient when I had to go slowly, The hardest part were all of the stone steps, but if you go at a comfortable pace, you can do it all. Of course my feet hurt, but so did the 30 somethings feet. My son and his girlfriend are taking a similar cruise in June...maybe you will meet up! See it alland you will be happy you did! Enjoy

Lol...I did not see that Dana had already answered you in basically the same way.

Edited by hiplbl

Her mom here! The walking was very manageable despite an injury that had my knee in a brace on one leg and a broken toe on the other. The folks we toured with were very helpful and patient when I had to go slowly, The hardest part were all of the stone steps, but if you go at a comfortable pace, you can do it all. Of course my feet hurt, but so did the 30 somethings feet. My son and his girlfriend are taking a similar cruise in June...maybe you will meet up! See it alland you will be happy you did! Enjoy

you guys did awesome...I know we weren't on the same tours...but every tour we were on had "older" people and all the tour guides and other folks were so patient. Actually on a few of our tours the "older" people left me in the dust. I think Dana is probably the age of my kids so I'm putting myself in the same "older" category with you...the REALLY older people STILL left me in the dust. LOL Those excursions in the Med were extra tough...I'm not sure others would be so difficult.