Formal shoes for men

Germancruiser

A young man who was travelling with his male benefactor had the audacity to pass a little comment about me not wearing patent leather on formal night during the Jan TA on QM2.

Consequently, I took great personal pleasure in learning that his dinner suit was second hand, as were his scratched patent leather shoes.

Personally, I don't think it matters what shoes you wear with formal attire, so long as they are black, classic and well kept.

Just dont wear the same shoes twice in one sailing!

Male benefactor..Is that the same as "Sugar Daddy"? If so, what a pompous little twit he was.

Kethm- I almost spit my green tea over my screen. you made my morning ! Great idea- ahh well I mean that one with the shinny shoes.

I agree borrowed clothes ( well nothing against that in general) but then critisising others. BIG NO NO! I suppose yes- thats right- bennfeactor- sugar daddy...!

I find that there is no need to wear patent 'bookbinder' leather with a tuxedo. A normal Cap-toe oxford such as the Crockett & Jones Edgware, Edward Green Asquith and Tricker's Regent (as well as many others by the same manufacturers and others) would not only last you 30-40 years if treated correctly, but with a good military shine, would be ready to go on the feet of any man sporting a tuxedo.

Traditionally you should wear black patent or velvet slippers with black tie.

However, having said that - who cares?!? Wear what you feel comfortable in!!

Velvet slippers? Hmm, perfect excuse to buy a pair I saw the other day. You've convinced me James.

Tell you what, shoes apart, reading some of this nonsense, there must be some very bored people out there....................

Worse still are those so incredibly bored that they feel compelled to comment on how bored people must be :)

It's all in jest. Relax a little.

Hi, I just came across a thread at Celebrity Forum- they talked about the perfect shoe for men to go well with tux and such!

I usualy wear my pointed dress shoes - not shiny - with the tux. What´s the fashion for " formal Cunard men" - maybe even our dress expert whitemarsh can help. Thx.

Michael

I have lace up patent leather shoes.

Some possible future King of England, probably Scotland and all the other slaves decided to relief himself in open public during the EXPO2000 in his residential town...

Fortunately he would never ever use a common liner for travelling.

It's nice living in a republic

Is it really? Funny how you don't often hear similar statements from the lucky residents of such countries as:

• Somalia
  • Yemen
  • Zimbabwe
  • Afghanistan

Perhaps it's not as black & white as 'monarchy bad - republic good'.

I would much rather be a "slave" (as you put it) living in a constitutional monarchy, such as Australia, than a great many of the republics around the world.

I have lace up patent leather shoes.

Is it really? Funny how you don't often hear similar statements from the lucky residents of such countries as:

• Somalia
  • Yemen
  • Zimbabwe
  • Afghanistan

Perhaps it's not as black & white as 'monarchy bad - republic good'.

I would much rather be a "slave" (as you put it) living in a constitutional monarchy, such as Australia, than a great many of the republics around the world.

I find rthat any country that lists itself as "Peoples Republic of..." usually isn't!

Well said- I would rather have a Queen or a King than our Presidents. Nothing wrong with a constitutionel monarchie such as in England! Of course they also had to adjust with the modern times- and they did.

Okay lace patent leather shoes- good- patent leather shoes- that I do have I even bought new ones- a bit shinny - but for formal night they might be quite suitable!

Greetings

Michael

Just make sure please that they have a thin leather sole. I often see men wearing absolute monstrosities with thick, chunky rubber soles and square toe boxes that would be better suited to mountain climbing or combat than to be paired with a dinner suit.

My husband wears patent leather lace-ups or court shoes aka opera slippers with black silk socks.

Archived