Self-Debarkation?

Aruba76

I don't know if this is true of all sailings for self-disembarkation, but we signed up for it once, on our March 2013 sailing from San Juan because we had an early flight. We were told to put our luggage out the night before, & given a meeting place for 7:15am. We were called to leave the ship at 7:20, off the ship by 7:30, & through customs at 8:05. We were fully prepared to lug our luggage down to the disembarkation deck, but instead picked up our luggage from a deserted holding area. it was actually easier than getting off normally, even with priority disembarkation.

Rich sea: we have a 10:50 am flight from San Juan and hope we can get off early. Can you make any suggestions to aide us in this sprint from the warmth of PR to the cold of Toronto! We intend to bring our own luggage get a porter to help at ship to cab and at the airport! Did you have to go through agricultural inspection first at the airport and then on to US customs? We are flying American Airlines

Rich sea: we have a 10:50 am flight from San Juan and hope we can get off early. Can you make any suggestions to aide us in this sprint from the warmth of PR to the cold of Toronto! We intend to bring our own luggage get a porter to help at ship to cab and at the airport! Did you have to go through agricultural inspection first at the airport and then on to US customs? We are flying American Airlines

I don't want to steal Rich sea's thunder, but here is my take:

YES to agricultural inspection...FIRST THING when you get to airport...it won't take that long.

If you are in line early to get off, carry your own bags off, you won't need a porter to get to the cab...In San Juan, they basically grab you when you leave the building...Last time, we shared a cab with someone walking off at the same time...Once exiting the building we were "led" by a person to a waiting cab...not sure if he was a hustler or was the "taxi control" guy??

We made a 930 flight with much time to spare.

My only concern is you mention using a "porter"...If you really need one to physically get your bags to the taxi, you should be careful using "self-disembarkation"...as you have to transport your bags by yourself all the way into the arrival hall.

I'm assuming you mean, when you say you would get a porter, that is just to get out of the hall into a cab faster...If that is the case you do NOT need to get one...once you get past customs agent the cabs are very close.

At the airport, a porter will get you through the Ag station and to the check-in desk, but you really don't save any time.

Check in for you flight the night before!! if you can.

I agree with dodger1964. We have found the taxi set up in San Juan to be very organized, & getting off the ship was pain free. I would plan on taking your own luggage off the ship; that's what we expected to do. Why they had us put our bags out, I don't know, but it made it that much easier. We had a 10:45 flight & made it with plenty of time to spare.

Dodger1964: thanks for info. The porter was just to speed things up and make it easier at airport. Glad to know you had that early flight and made it with time to spare. We hope to be able to report that we made it with ease as well.

I agree with dodger1964. We have found the taxi set up in San Juan to be very organized, & getting off the ship was pain free. I would plan on taking your own luggage off the ship; that's what we expected to do. Why they had us put our bags out, I don't know, but it made it that much easier. We had a 10:45 flight & made it with plenty of time to spare.

Thanks for the info we will definitely take our own luggage off. Hoping for one 28 inch suitcase and two carry on' s and a camera bag. Have a strap to tie one carry on to handle of suitcase with the other being a pack pack style so we should not have problems with mobility providing we get an elevator. We are on deck 9 so what deck to we have to go to get off the ship?

Greetings

No, it is not "Anytime Disembarkation". You will be given a time and place to meet. The time is usually before 7AM. Everyone gathers at the meeting place (it is sometime a little mobish since there are no announcements and everyone is impatient) and you are led off ship as soon as the ship is cleared. You can't wait and just leave whenever you like.

Good Sailing

Tom

Ok well maybe we got it rather wrong but we self disembarked on our recent cruise and we strolled down for breakfast in Blu then finished packing up and headed off. The lifts were not especially crowded, I think it was half eight or nine by the time we headed off.

We liked not having to miss our last Blu breakfast and ending our holiday in a more relaxed way.

We would certainly leave the ship in this way another time however I was with my husband and two strapping sons; all of us are able if there was someone in our party less able I would want to consider if the rest could manage all the luggage.

Karen

Thanks for the info we will definitely take our own luggage off. Hoping for one 28 inch suitcase and two carry on' s and a camera bag. Have a strap to tie one carry on to handle of suitcase with the other being a pack pack style so we should not have problems with mobility providing we get an elevator. We are on deck 9 so what deck to we have to go to get off the ship?

I was worried about making my flight so I found out the night before where the "front of the line" was going to be. We were their 1 hour early and were first in line. (I think for that cruise it was on deck 2? or 1? it was the lowest deck the elevators went to)

I was worried about making my flight so I found out the night before where the "front of the line" was going to be. We were their 1 hour early and were first in line. (I think for that cruise it was on deck 2? or 1? it was the lowest deck the elevators went to)

Thanks

Read it again, the poster LIKES doing self disembarkation in FLL

I believe they asking what make FLL a self disembarkation must.

We've never been on a cruise before. What are the disembarkation timelines if the ship docks at 7am? Our flight isn't until 6pm out of FLL.

I believe they asking what make FLL a self disembarkation must.

We've never been on a cruise before. What are the disembarkation timelines if the ship docks at 7am? Our flight isn't until 6pm out of FLL.

You will need to be off the ship around 9, 10 at the absolute latest, so the crew can prepare for the new passengers. You may want to consider a tour that takes you somewhere in the meantime and drops you at the airport in FLL around 4. Otherwise, that's a lot of sitting around. Oh! Some ships/ports have a stay aboard option for people in your situation; you pay like $50/pp and can stay on the ship and use the facilities, buffet etc. until time to leave for your flight. No idea if your ship has that but worth checking.

We have access to the United Club for a quiet place to pass some of the time. Just wondering if we should self disembark go to the FLL airport, check bags, rent a locker for the carry ons, and go over to the mall or ??? for a few hours.

Like I said we've never been on a cruise before.

Pecs ado rojo,

I do not recommend self disembarkation in your case. Actually I don't ever recommend it unless someone has ignored the good advice of others particularly on the Cruise Air boards on Cruise Critic.

The dynamics of disembarkation involves the removal of passengers in a coherent manner. Disembarkation can take place on deck 2 3 or 5 depending on the pier and ship. If you use self disembarkation you must be in total control of your luggage and if elevators on the ship are constantly full you may have to carry your luggage down the stairways. While the stairs are wide it is not an easy task to carry heavy luggage and avoid others.

Self disembarking passengers are gathered into a central area and it can get crowded with passengers and luggage. As noted, the process begins around 7 am. Then the process begins. As you exit the ship you will either have ramps or ramps/escalator or elevator. Celebrity usually will stop passengers with luggage from using the escalator if they cannot hold onto the rail. It's for everyone's safety.

I do not think, and please go to the FLL website, that they have a held baggage facility. The Delta terminal does not, but I don't know about United. If that is the case and you cannot check your luggage until 3 hours before your flight then your best option might be renting a car for the day. Rates in FLL are not expensive and you would have the option of going to any number of areas to spend your day.

Please check the East Coast Homeports for more information.

Thanks.

More research shows that there is a luggage storage service at FFL, for a fee, and Celebrity does offer an extended stay option for $60 pp. that allows you an extra hour in your room and the ability to stay on the ship until 90 mins before the next departure including lunch and access to fitness center and spa. That would be 3 pm in our case. I' m going to explore that option further.

FLL bag storage-

Public Baggage Storage

Public Baggage Storage is available in Terminals 1, 2, 3, and 4. Enjoy exploring the airport or surrounding communities without the impediment of having to take your luggage with you. For more information, call 954-359-5505.

Terminal Hours Days 1 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday 2 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Seven days a week 3 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Friday, Saturday, Sunday, Monday 4 9 a.m. - 5:30 p.m. Saturday, Sunday For cruise passengers, some airlines offer baggage check-in at the port for the return flight. This gives you the freedom to explore the greater Fort Lauderdale area or the airport. Contact your airline to see if they offer this service.

http://www.broward.org/Airport/Services/Pages/Default.aspx

Celebrity's Extend Your Stay

Extend Your Stay

This optional program allows you to extend your cruise vacation, remain onboard and enjoy some of the ship services until 90 minutes prior to the ship's next departure. Complimentary breakfast and lunch in Bistro on Five, non-alcoholic drinks from Café al Bacio, first-run movies, access to the pool, fitness center and select spa services plus lockers in the spa changing room. You'll even have an extra hour in your stateroom. Enroll at the Guest Relations Desk onboard. $59 per adult, $29.50 for children ages 3-12, free for children under 3. Credit cards accepted all day for bar and spa purchases. Available on all European sailings.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/onboard/singleColLanding.do?pagename=onboard_outstanding_service

Okay, so the available on all European sailings in the last line means I need to call Celebrity about Ft Lauderdale.

As one poster noted, be aware that at FLL you may not be able to check your bags sooner than three hours before (in fact, when we flew United a year and a half ago they did not open the check-in until two hours before our flight - we stood in line for an hour expecting them to show up at any minute - they did not). This is a real pain when you have a later flight. We did not experience this at SJU so it was a very unpleasant surprise.

FLL is too small an airport to handle the crowds. Seating space on both sides of security is too small for the number of people they put through there on cruise days. This is why they don't let you go through until 3 hours prior to the flight -- not enough space for everyone after security.

Archived