Strapless bra

SportsMomof4

I'm sure you probably didn't expect a response from a guy, but based on past history with my lady, I think I can offer some decent advice. Go somewhere that has a trained bra fitter. I know my lady goes to Nordstrom's and I think there are also specially shops that only sell bras that do it.

The fitter told my wife that the vast majority of ladies wear the wrong size bra and that's what causes most of the problems/complaints. No complaints from her since she started getting the right size bras, and she looks better than ever! :)

I bought one a few weeks ago at Soma and it is fantastic. They will do a thorough bra fitting and make sure you have the correct size bra. Their strapless stays up and does not slip. I am a 36DD, so I must have a bra that keeps the girls up all night. :)

Lisa

I'm sure you probably didn't expect a response from a guy, but based on past history with my lady, I think I can offer some decent advice. Go somewhere that has a trained bra fitter. I know my lady goes to Nordstrom's and I think there are also specially shops that only sell bras that do it.

The fitter told my wife that the vast majority of ladies wear the wrong size bra and that's what causes most of the problems/complaints. No complaints from her since she started getting the right size bras, and she looks better than ever! :)

That's so true!! Come to find out after all these years I've been wearing the wrong size bra!! :eek:

Do you have one that's comfortable & doesn't always feel like it's falling down? If so...what brand is it?

I have a couple of strapless dresses for our December cruise with a strapless bra I don't like. Time for a new one :).

YES! Finally I found one. I went to Victoria Secret and had them measure me and I tried on everyone in the store in my size. The one I ended up going with has a wider band, 3 clasps, and has plastic rubber stripping pieces that help it stay up too! I could wear it all day and feel secure.

I am also not that blessed in that department- very small chest. It also happens to add "2 cup sizes" so they say, so that is a bonus for me. I don't know the style but if you go in and say you want the one that adds 2 cup sizes, this would be it :)

According to bra experts, most women are wearing a number too big and a cup too small. I had never been fitted and measured and when Soma opened they were offering a free panty if you got measured. So the lady measured me and looked at the chart and told me I was a 34C. I had been wearing 34D for 2 yrs so I figured that maybe Soma bras are cut bigger than others. Nope...the 34C was way too small and my girls were pouring over the top. The lady saw this and got me a 34D bra and it fit just right. I guess that we are all built differently and even measurements don't tell the size story for everyone. Also, many people don't have symmetrical breasts...this is why some scoop necks and strapless tops seem lopsized when we wear them.

Anyway, I like my Soma strapless bra. You can also put straps on them every which way.

According to bra experts, most women are wearing a number too big and a cup too small.

That happens often to larger breasted women, sometimes because the store doesn't actually stock the correct size, so they fudge it by increasing the back size. You see, the larger the back, the larger the cup fits, even when it is the same letter. A 46DDD fits bigger than a 34DDD, so if a woman with a 34 back and a larger than DDD breast goes into a standard department store for a fitting, they tend to tell her she's bigger in the back than she actual is. She walks out with a bra that doesn't support her or worse, doesn't supports and digs into her shoulders. Never get fitted in a standard department store if you're on the larger side!!

Measure yourself before you go. Tightly around the ribcage right under your breast, that's the number. Sometimes there is a slight difference between the measurement and the number depending on the brand...but not all the time, and not as much of a difference as they tell you online. Then measure around the fullest part of the bust and subtract the ribcage measurement. Each inch of difference equals one letter of the alphabet.

Now, if you have measured and know your approximate sizes, you should only go up or down one band size or one cup size based on differences in brand fit or cup shape.

Oh, and read about how a bra should fit! For years I didn't know that the underwire between the breast was supposed to be flush against the breastbone!

Sorry...this is a pet peeve for me! I had more than two decades of incorrect department store fittings. At one point they had me in a back size 8 inches bigger than it should have been!

Being a 'D' is hard enough and i have bought so many strapless bras in my time so many slipped south quickly or gave me a terrible rash because of the rubber. I can honestly say the best one i ever was fitted & bought from Victorias Secret, i can wear it with confidence all day :)

Another vote for VS ... I've never had a bra that I didn't feel like was going to become a belt before the night was over or go rolling over and let the cousins loose. The one I got had a wider band, wire and three (I think) closures on the back. They'll also help you find the exact fit.

When I first saw this thread, I was happy to know that others had the same problem as me. As I read the original post though, I realized my problem was different.

I have no trouble whatsoever getting a strapless to stay in place, and I wear a 38D. Those nice little rubberized grippers they put in a strapless stick to me like they are never leaving, and give me blisters. I have tried bigger bras, but it's just that I have sensitive skin. I have to buy a different sized bra for a strapless, and I still have the trouble from time to time. Does anyone else have this issue?

When I first saw this thread, I was happy to know that others had the same problem as me. As I read the original post though, I realized my problem was different.

I have no trouble whatsoever getting a strapless to stay in place, and I wear a 38D. Those nice little rubberized grippers they put in a strapless stick to me like they are never leaving, and give me blisters. I have tried bigger bras, but it's just that I have sensitive skin. I have to buy a different sized bra for a strapless, and I still have the trouble from time to time. Does anyone else have this issue?

you may have a latex allergy.

I decided that my Soma bra fits too snuggly in the underwire area, even though it is the same size as my other Soma bras. So I bought a set of their bra strap extenders, and it fits perfectly now, and still stays up. They come in sets of 3: 2 nude and 1 black. If anyone has gained weight but wants to still wear their bras, this is a great solution!

Those nice little rubberized grippers they put in a strapless stick to me like they are never leaving, and give me blisters. I have tried bigger bras, but it's just that I have sensitive skin. I have to buy a different sized bra for a strapless, and I still have the trouble from time to time. Does anyone else have this issue?

I once tried little silicone pads designed to add padding to a bra strap...after an hour or so, I ended up with a frightening-looking lesion! So, yes!

I have a long-line strapless bra and I don't think it has any rubber/silicone/latex. It stays up better because it goes down to the waist. (Added bonus, it holds in the annoying fat pad over my diaphragm)

I never thought about an allergy, to be honest. But it makes perfect sense. When I wear a nice dress in the evening on a cruise, I tend to wear this really nice body shaper I have. It's comfortable, and smoothes me out. I don't think I look skinnier, but I love not having all these lines from undergarments, and it does give me a nicer silhouette.

With many tops that I have, a racerback does the trick because they usually work well with my choices.

As someone who is very busty, I was dreading wearing a strapless bra. I went to "Intimacy" bra fit store and they had me try a longline bra, I thought it would be the most miserable thing known to man. It was great. It really supported and I never felt like I was going to spill over. Bonus was it gave me great posture and a flat tummy and no tugging it up which seems to happen when you combine a large bust and a strapless (darn gravity!).

I would check out "Goddess Lace Longline Bra GD689" which was only $50 and I thought a bargain for a strapless bra that comes in sizes up to a 50FF. I did need assistance getting into because there is no way to "spin" a long line bra, but I wore it all night to a formal Mardi Gras ball and had it on from 6pm till 2am.

http://www.herroom.com/goddess-gd689-lace-longline-bra.shtml

Depending on your dress you might be interested in these. They are called strap n guard. They are adjustable straps with crystals on them. I ordered some on amazon recently for my upcoming cruise and I love them! Make sure to get the ones with the pins that pin to your bra or inside the dress if you want. The cheaper ones only hook to and existing bra with removable straps They run about $18 and up depending on how fancy you go.

pemy8y7a.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

• 1 month later...

I've helped my wife and several exes before her get into a better size, and my biggest advice is to throw away the measuring tape, and to skip any store that wants to measure you. Places like Intimacy and Zovo know how to try lots of different products to help you get a proper fit. Once you arrive at that magic solution, sadly you have to avoid the habit of saying "I'm a size XYZ", and instead start saying "in the <brand> <model> bra, I take a size XYZ". My wife wears five different sizes: one typical size for full-coverage, one a cup size higher for less-coverage, one another cup size higher for plunge, one a back size smaller for two other brands, and one a very different cup size because they increment their cup sizes using a different chart.

I've helped my wife and several exes before her get into a better size, and my biggest advice is to throw away the measuring tape, and to skip any store that wants to measure you. Places like Intimacy and Zovo know how to try lots of different products to help you get a proper fit. Once you arrive at that magic solution, sadly you have to avoid the habit of saying "I'm a size XYZ", and instead start saying "in the <brand> <model> bra, I take a size XYZ". My wife wears five different sizes: one typical size for full-coverage, one a cup size higher for less-coverage, one another cup size higher for plunge, one a back size smaller for two other brands, and one a very different cup size because they increment their cup sizes using a different chart.

I have to say as a woman, this is the best freakin advice I've ever heard from anyone about bra sizing! And it's from a man (I'm guessing) ~!!!!! I hate hate hate trying on bras, as I've said before it moves me to tears or to drink! :D My sizes are so messed up from what the clothing industry thinks I should be~ I'm almost 5'8", right now I weigh about 135 and wear a 32 band and I'm popping out of a G cup! Until the industry makes the sizes uniform across the board, this is going to keep on happening! I wonder if they don't do it to make money off of us~!?

Hello, There is no one brand that makes the best strapless bra. It all depends on your size and shape that will determine which brand works best. Best to just go into a department store and try on multiple brands and figure out which one fits you the best. But I hear Vicky's Secret has nice strapless bras. Also if your wearing a halter shirt or something like that they have specific bras that have moveable straps to hide them.

Have a nice day :)