New Travel Approach

DebInTN

We (OK, I) are big-time travel planners. This year, for the first time in 35 years, we can't agree on a vacation. We usually travel end of Sept (my birthday is Sept 27) but this year (2013) we cruised to Alaska in May. I am seeking advise from those of you who wait until the last minute to schedule vacations. Have you had good luck waiting until mid-Sept to schedule Alaska cruises? Any good deals cruising to other places??

I wouldn't cruise in Mid-September. Historically, it is not a good time to cruise in Alaska. There have been times when ships couldn't leave the dock in Whittier for several days due to bad weather and you are more likely to miss ports. I wouldn't chance my vacation dollars on it.

I wouldn't cruise in Mid-September. Historically, it is not a good time to cruise in Alaska. There have been times when ships couldn't leave the dock in Whittier for several days due to bad weather and you are more likely to miss ports. I wouldn't chance my vacation dollars on it.
I agree. Alaska starts getting very cold after Labor Day so you might not be comfortable on tours or even outside for scenic viewing. September pricing for Alaska is cheap for a reason.

Lots of great last minute deals if you live by a port or can get free airfare

you can do a 15 day transatlantic for less a good price

Ports of Call: Barcelona, Spain; Toulon, France; Livorno, Italy; Civitavecchia (Rome), Italy; Madeira (Funchal); Fort Lauderdale, Florida.

We (OK, I) are big-time travel planners. This year, for the first time in 35 years, we can't agree on a vacation. We usually travel end of Sept (my birthday is Sept 27) but this year (2013) we cruised to Alaska in May. I am seeking advise from those of you who wait until the last minute to schedule vacations. Have you had good luck waiting until mid-Sept to schedule Alaska cruises? Any good deals cruising to other places??

Am I reading this correctly? Did you want to cruise in September or buy a cruise in September for an Alaskan cruise next season?

Right now, Princess is having a 3 for free promotion for select itinerary. It is a pretty good deal. Check it out. I purchased my Alaskan cruise for May of next year (b2b2b2). Panama Canal is also a good cruise, but try out the overnight in Panama (anchored out). How about Hawaii?

Am I reading this correctly? Did you want to cruise in September or buy a cruise in September for an Alaskan cruise next season?

Right now, Princess is having a 3 for free promotion for select itinerary. It is a pretty good deal. Check it out. I purchased my Alaskan cruise for May of next year (b2b2b2). Panama Canal is also a good cruise, but try out the overnight in Panama (anchored out). How about Hawaii?

I agree on the question. I wasn't sure either. We booked under that promo for our AK cruise because ours was almost sold out for next June. Princess' last AK cruise for 2014 is Sept. 21. I believe HAL extends their season a little longer than Princess.

If you want to book an early Sept. cruise, wait until after the final payment is due and then book IF you aren't picky about cabin type or location.

Archived