Royal Promenade

We will be on EOS next month and it's our 1st time on RCI-so excited. Everyone talks about the Royal Promenade but from the deck plans I can not tell...are these only bars, eateries and shops that cost money or are any of the eateries on the Promenade included? Thanks.

We will be on EOS next month and it's our 1st time on RCI-so excited. Everyone talks about the Royal Promenade but from the deck plans I can not tell...are these only bars, eateries and shops that cost money or are any of the eateries on the Promenade included? Thanks.

Cafe Promenade is no extra charge.

A lot of things happen there, including parades, sales of merchandize, musicians playing, Captain talk, stores etc. This will be our seventh time on her on the 27th and I think the Promenade is one of the best things on RCCL ships. Sorry to say the new ship will not have it, but it will have some other great items.

I had a question about this too - I have seen people refer to some ships having a promenade or not (e.g., when comparing Explorer to Grandeur). But I walked on the promenade on Grandeur - it goes around the ship :D. But the others are in the middle, and it looks like they may be covered. So my question is, are these still called the same thing, or not?

The Royal Promenades on the Voyager, Freedom and Oasis class ships are totally inside the ship and are basically extra wide and 4 deck high corridors. They are not at all like the traditional promenade deck found on a cruise ship. With the exception of the Oasis class, the ships with the RP also have a traditional outside promenade deck.

The RP on the Oasis class also have large skylights looking up into Central Park. They are the only RP lit partially with daylight.

I had a question about this too - I have seen people refer to some ships having a promenade or not (e.g., when comparing Explorer to Grandeur). But I walked on the promenade on Grandeur - it goes around the ship :D. But the others are in the middle, and it looks like they may be covered. So my question is, are these still called the same thing, or not?

The Royal Promenade is a feature of Voyager and Freedom class ships, not to be confused with the traditional outdoor promenade ! I believe Oasis class has something similar too.

Photo of Mariner's :

IMG_4024.jpg

There is the Cafe' Promenade which is free and has pizza, small sandwiches, cookies, cakes and coffee and a nice seating area. There are other shops in the Promenade such as a jewellery shop, a souvenir store, an english style pub and a ben and jerrys ice cream stand, liquor store and a sports bar....which are all pay.

I just got off the Explorer on Sunday Oct 6th if you have other questions

We think the Promenade is one of the best parts of the ship... sort of like the hub. We love the openness and community feel that they foster.

Not to mention good pizza, coffee, and great sandwiches and cakes.

Tom

LOVE the Café Promenade!! Some of my personal "secret" tips:

1) Ask for a big cup of ice at the counter -- you can use that to make your own iced coffee or iced tea from the self-serve free coffee and tea station at the back of the area. (Bring your own stevia if that's what you use; they don't have that on board anywhere. I bring cinnamon, too!)

2) They usually have a fruit bowl with oranges, apples and bananas, sometimes kiwis, too... I take one of each, cut them into pieces, and make my own fruit salad (use the plates from the sandwiches or pizza). Yum! Such a great, fresh accompaniment to the little sandwiches.

3) Those sandwiches are amazing, all on different types of bread: small rolls, mini croissants, tiny sandwiches... turkey, ham, roast beef, cheese... very yummy, a perfect snack when returning from a shore excursion...

4) Don't miss the coconut ranger cookies! As my daughter said, "I don't know what a ranger is, but it's delicious!!"

Sorrentos Pizza is included.

There is no Sorrento's on Explorer. But just about everything that you would find in one is combined into the Cafe Promenade. Sorrento's was not "invented" until they started building the Freedom class ships. It helps to disperse people by moving the pizza to a separate venues as well as provide food and seating at both ends of the Royal Promenade.

We think the Promenade is one of the best parts of the ship... sort of like the hub. We love the openness and community feel that they foster.

Not to mention good pizza, coffee, and great sandwiches and cakes.

Tom

We agree. Some people see it as a "shopping mall". We see it as a section of the ship that is always changing. Whether it be lighting, decorations, sales, activities, etc. With most ships once you have seen them they are the same the whole week. But the Promenades seem to always have something new to see when you visit it.

Totally agree!

Tom

We agree. Some people see it as a "shopping mall". We see it as a section of the ship that is always changing. Whether it be lighting, decorations, sales, activities, etc. With most ships once you have seen them they are the same the whole week. But the Promenades seem to always have something new to see when you visit it.

I'm glad to hear this. Thanks OP for asking this question. I, too, wondered what was "free" and what was extra.

So my question: Does the Cafe have windows? It seems like it would be a nice place to have a snack and watch the ocean go by.

I'm glad to hear this. Thanks OP for asking this question. I, too, wondered what was "free" and what was extra.

So my question: Does the Cafe have windows? It seems like it would be a nice place to have a snack and watch the ocean go by.

There are two or three windows towards the back of the seating area, but the view is poor, being partially blocked by the lifeboats.

Archived