Taking food off the ship?

lexi belle

Hi can you tell me are you allowed to take food off the ship? For example fruit and sandwiches if your going out for the day? Thanks x:)

Not if you are cruising Australia/NZ, Quarantine Service very strict, sniffer dogs, bag searches and on the spot fines. Not so strict in other parts of the world, some countries just don't care what gets brought in.

I am just glad to have a break from all the food onboard:D besides it is nice to have a local coffee or glass of wine. Haven't seen anyone make up sandwiches etc. I thought it was a bit of a no no.

Actually I agree with your point about a break from food on board. I enjoy breakfast and the evening meals but don't want a sit down lunch and get bored of the buffet after a day or two so a nice local café or restaurant is perfect!

I had no intention of "making up sandwiches" and can assure you we will be putting plenty of money in the local economy!!! Not that I have to explain but it was for my little boy.

Nor should you have too - you asked a perfectly reasonable question, you don't need a lecture from the self righteous mob. Lots of people take food off the ship, esp. fruit and cakes.

Nor should you have too - you asked a perfectly reasonable question, you don't need a lecture from the self righteous mob. Lots of people take food off the ship, esp. fruit and cakes.

Its a forum and so we can express an opinion. I expressed my opinion nicely. OP may be touchy on the subject

Since I have been criticised - in for a penny in for a pound. I have seen folks take food off the ship and personally think they are tight. You are on holiday after all. Same sort of folks who boast about finding places to have free water on board.

I am on holiday to enjoy myself, not penny pinch

And for the record I am not self righteous though you are entitled to opine that I am

Its a forum and so we can express an opinion. I expressed my opinion nicely. OP may be touchy on the subject

Since I have been criticised - in for a penny in for a pound. I have seen folks take food off the ship and personally think they are tight. You are on holiday after all. Same sort of folks who boast about finding places to have free water on board.

I am on holiday to enjoy myself, not penny pinch

And for the record I am not self righteous though you are entitled to opine that I am

No offence meant, I personally have never taken food off the ship, but lots do, up to the individual I guess, but the inference was that the OP was wrong to do it if she wanted but perhaps I read it wrong.

In lots of ports around the world taking any kind of food ashore is strictly forbidden, for example ports in the South Pacific, Australasia, Mexico and the US to name just a few places. Some ports have sniffer dogs specifically looking for any food being taken ashore so you need to be very careful. The cruiseline should tell you those ports where it is not allowed but I personally would not take anything ashore anywhere unless it was sealed such as granola bars, small packets of cereal etc. It is tempting to take fruit or make up sandwiches from the buffet but in my opinion it is not worth the risk. The rules are put in place to prevent diseases and insects being taken ashore which could devastate a country's agriculture.

I had no intention of "making up sandwiches" and can assure you we will be putting plenty of money in the local economy!!! Not that I have to explain but it was for my little boy.

I am sorry if I offended you but this wasn't my intention. I was always led to believe that, like in a hotel on a land holiday, you are unable to take food out of the premises. I am sure nothing was said about you not putting money into the local economy.

and this I do take offence at as I only offered my opinion and what I believed was correct information:o

Of course it depends on which countries you'll be visiting, but Australia, N Zealand, USA and other Caribbean countries have very strict rules concerning foodstuffs being brought ashore.

Fruit is generally a big no-no, although they might permit packaged biscuits.

I suggest you check the countries you are visiting by googling their individual policies, we are not experts, just fellow cruisers trying to be helpful :)

No need to shoot the messenger(s).

Just because other people do it, it doesn't make it right or legal ;)

I'm sorry but I didn't realise I had to treat the OP's question in a moral & legal context. I merely gave her a straightforward answer to a straightforward question.

As for what's 'right' - who's opinion of right are we considering? Unless the cruise line states in their 'conditions' that food should not be taken off the ship the OP has every 'right' to do it if she so wishes. I am not someone who takes food off the ship myself but I would never criticise someone who does - especially as they may have good reason to do so (ie. diabetic or a small child).

Putting a 'smiley face' after your comment doesn't make it light hearted either.

Of course it depends on which countries you'll be visiting, but Australia, N Zealand, USA and other Caribbean countries have very strict rules concerning foodstuffs being brought ashore.

Fruit is generally a big no-no, although they might permit packaged biscuits.

I suggest you check the countries you are visiting by googling their individual policies, we are not experts, just fellow cruisers trying to be helpful :)

No need to shoot the messenger(s).

Including Barbados. We were reminded of this on my last Caribbean cruise on Ventura, but only when we were about to disembark. I wonder how many people went ashore with food no knowing that they were breaking the law. And don't even think of taking fruit or vegetables into the USA....

Hi can you tell me are you allowed to take food off the ship? For example fruit and sandwiches if your going out for the day? Thanks x:)

I'm sorry but I didn't realise I had to treat the OP's question in a moral & legal context. I merely gave her a straightforward answer to a straightforward question.

As for what's 'right' - who's opinion of right are we considering? Unless the cruise line states in their 'conditions' that food should not be taken off the ship the OP has every 'right' to do it if she so wishes. I am not someone who takes food off the ship myself but I would never criticise someone who does - especially as they may have good reason to do so (ie. diabetic or a small child).

Putting a 'smiley face' after your comment doesn't make it light hearted either.

The OP asked if this was allowed, i advised her to check on the individual ports, a perfectly valid and helpful response.

My response with regards to what is right and legal is pertinent to her question.

The smiley was NOT intended to make the reply lighthearted, my advice was given as a warning.

No-one needs their holiday spoilt by following well meant but inaccurate advice.

It is solely the OP who can make that decision.

Lexi Belle: we've taken the little packets of biscuits from the cabin and fruit from the buffet ashore, because my children suffer from allergies and so can't readily just buy anything from a café or shop. This has only been on longer excursions, though, such as a full day excursion in Norway last year when we didn't get the scheduled lunch until 3.30 pm (we had to be back on board at 5.30), in which case we were very glad of the fruit and biscuits!

In general, though, I concur with the OPs - it depends on the country and port, there are some strict regulations.

If the port authorities allow it, I think it is in order to take drinks and snacks off the ship if you want, after all if you stayed on board you would consume this food because it is included in the price you pay. Often its more convenient to have something on hand to eat and drink. However I would NEVER take extra food out of the dining room if I were staying in a land based hotel because I would not have paid for it, as I have only ever stay in a hotel on a bed and breakfast or half board basis.

Archived