First Time Cruiser's Impression-EOS 10/14/13 (w/Pics)

This is my me and my wife's first time cruising and I wanted to give you all my impressions from the perspective of a first-timer.

We gleaned a lot from CC (thank you very much). And this is my way of returning the favor.

We sailed on the Enchantment of the Seas 4 night cruise. If you aren't familiar, the itinerary is Coco Cay, Nassau, then back to Port Canaveral.

I'll break it up into days. In hindsight I wish I would have taken more pictures but I was in the moment a lot and didn't feel like taking a lot of pictures. I'm what you'd consider an enthusiast photographer (http://www.keyoflifephotography.com) but did not want to lug my Nikon SLR around. Hell, I'm on vacation! So I bought a Canon S90 point-and-shoot that I can still control manually but in a MUCH smaller package. I could keep on my hip.

I'll start with our arrival and accommodations in the Port Canaveral area.

THE DAY BEFORE

I am an airline employee so we usually fly stand-by. But I didn't want to risk not being able to get down to Florida, even the day before. Also didn't want a luggage snafu where our bags get on but we didn't. SO we drove from Atlanta. Not a bad drive until...

We got into Orlando.

Now, I know that there are two tolls between MCO and Port Canaveral, as our initial plan was to fly in and rent a car. But driving in I didn't do my homework as to the other tolls in and around Orlando (which I have taken to calling "Tollando"). So, plan ahead or just take I-95 south if you can.

We stayed at the Courtyard By Marriott in Cocoa Beach on A1A. We opted for their Cruise and Park deal where for $147 plus tax we stayed overnight, left our car there until Friday and a shuttle to and from the port. Seemed like an OK price. The room originally was $89 without the parking.

8dtl.jpg

Our room. Very clean and comfortable

The room at the Courtyard was great. Clean, spacious and with a balcony on every room. Our room overlooked the (big for a hotel this size) pool and a narrow view of the river. The hotel is not on the ocean but you can walk a short distance (about 100 yards) directly to the beach which we did on embarkation day. There is a nice lobby with a bar and a fire pit out back. Well worth the money. We did a little running around and ate at Roberto's Little Havana. Can't recommend it. I won't turn this into a food review but suffice to say, I've had MUCH better Cuban food.

iyx1.jpg

The pit o' fire. Not that it was cold or anything.

EMBARKATION DAY

55ej.jpg

Can't beat it

After a sunrise beach stroll (btw, Florida does not disappoint on the sunrises) and breakfast we loaded up on the shuttle bus which left at 11AM. All I'll say about check in is this: it went fast (from scanners to ship was 15-20 minutes) and painless. I suppose if this were in the middle of the summer it would have been a fiasco. But being that it's the middle of October may have lent to the ease.

nf20.jpg

Port of Canaveral. Check in was falling-out-of-a-boat easy (pun intended)

Upon arrival on the ship we headed first to the shore excursions desk. We booked a cabanette, the blue half-shell cabanas (more on that later). We then went to eat.

Now, everyone goes to the Windjammer first off. But really, if you want to bypass the crowds, lack of tables and aren't really hungry, your best bet is the Park Cafe in the Solarium. It is quiet and off the beaten path. Our plan was to do this. We figured we'd eat a good breakfast and hit the Park Cafe upon arrival. Be we being hardheaded went with the status quo. People were acting as if they had never eaten before. Not necessarily rude just a tad uncouth. We did find a table off the pool deck. No biggie. After that we did go to the Park Cafe to wait on our room to be ready.

We hung out in there for a little while longer past the announcement that the staterooms were ready. When we got to our room (balcony room 7078 on the port side of the ship) two of the three pieces of our luggage were at our door. The last piece came as we came back from muster.

h4gc.jpg

kqwt.jpg

Room 7078-Balcony stateroom

Room 7078 was very clean. As stated in many other reviews RCI did journeyman's work in setting up these rooms well for storage in a small footprint. Plenty of drawers and shelves in the closet which was a great size. The bathroom had a shower with a door. We were worried the the shower would be too small but that wasn't the case. Of course you won't be showering together but you will be able to move about. There is ample room for large suitcases under the bed. The in room safe is small. You won't be stashing your take from a bank hold up in it, just small valuables. The balcony of course is small but good for taking breakfast in the morning. Our neighbor smoked so when we opened the door and smelled smoke we just stayed in until they finished (they were up wind). Our attendant was Dwaine. He was attentive and cool as all get out. We aren't fussy or high maintenance so we didn't hit him up for every little thing. But when we needed him he was there. Oh, and if you need something pressed or cleaned for the formal night, do it on embarkation day. If not, the putting it in the next day will require a 50% rush fee. A point that Dwaine informed us of. I had to have my suit pressed.

gpwq.jpg

Hangin' out with 2500 of our closest friends

Muster went well. Our "muster mates" were very cool. Once that was over we headed back to the room for a nap before exploring the ship more and eating dinner. We made reservations for 8 in the MDR. We used My Time Dining. Let me step back for a sec. When we embarked there was a longish line for My Time dinner reservations. You DO NOT have to stand in that line. All you have to do is call 7000 when you get to your room. Do so BEFORE 3:00pm. No must, no fuss.

Back to it. We rested up then went to the sail away celebration on the pool deck. We hung out on the bow as the ship left port. Grabbed a (powerful) Long Island Iced Tea from the bar and a hot dog and burger for us. After that we explored the ship more (shops, the stern of the ship, etc.).

We didn't make it to the MDR that night. We really didn't feel like changing. When we passed by on our way to the Windjammer (wanted to see what people were wearing). My wife said she saw women in tank tops and jeans. I saw people nicely dressed and some men wearing jeans. Now I know the dress code has been beat to death and won't criticize if someone wants to wear jeans and tank tops. So let's not rehash it here. I myself wore khakis and collared shirts on the non-formal nights.

The Windjammer was thankfully empty as everyone was jamming into the MDR the first night. The food was excellent. No complaints about food or service.

Edited by boogerwolf

DAY TWO: COCO CAY

Woke up anchored off of Coco Cay. It was overcast and rain seemed on the horizon. But it held off. Our tender was full as we left about 10AM or so.

Once on shore I approached the information booth to inquire about how to get to the cabanettes. A cat named Molly told us he would take us there in the golf cart. We thought "cool! How far could it be?". Well, it was (seemingly) on the other side of the island. It would have been a bit of a walk.

The cabanettes were $50. It was probably the best money we spent on the cruise (well, other than the alcohol). What do you get for you fiddy bucks? Well:

tuk1.jpg

The best 50 we've ever spent

-A quiet beach away from the herd. That was the "big get" for us. There were maybe four, maybe five couples on the beach.

-Towels. No shlepping towels to and from the ship.

-A plate of fresh fruit.

-Two large bottles of water on ice.

-Two floatees.

-And of course, the clamshell-style cabana which can be tilted forward if you need more shielding from the sun.

Before we left I looked into the cabana vs. cabanette thing online. Since it's just us two the cabana would have been a bit much for us at $200. The is great for a party of four or more. My initial impressions of the cabanettes were that it was too small. Surprisingly, it is a good size, enough space for two lounges and a small table. There is also a bar right there and our attendant Linda takes very good care of you. Use your SeaPass to purchase drinks.

Lunch was served at noon. Linda came around and asked if we wanted to go to lunch at 12 or 12:30. We elected to go at 12:30. Gives a little time for the crowds to thin out. So back comes Molly and we were chauffeured to the BBQ in the main part of the island. The food was great! Grilled BBQ chicken, burgers, hot dogs and all the sides and fixings. Tables were hard to come by but as with the day before we managed and sat next to a cool couple from Florida.

Once we were done eating we perused the straw market (trinkets o' plenty). We waited a little and Molly came back to the spot he dropped us off at. By then it was 2:30 and we wanted to get back before the enevidable crowds that would be rushing back about 4 o'clock (last tender was 4:30). Molly took us back to the dock. So, in addition to all that you get with the cabanettes, you get transportation to and from the main part of the island. Again, WELL worth it even with tips to Linda and Molly.

Back on the ship we chilled in the stateroom. I had to wait for my suit that was being pressed. Dewaine dropped it off about 4. We had reservations for 7:30pm in the MDR. We were going to miss the parade of flags and the captains welcome aboard speech. And we were cool with that.

The food was just OK. The service was outstanding though I think our waiter Wayne Bolt and asst. waiter John Mark may have had too many tables to attend to. But they did it and did it well. We then went to the Lounge for some karaoke (my first time and it took a Jack and Coke to get me up there) then on to the 70s Dance Party being held in the Centrium. Wow! What a spectacle! The cruise director Marc is a hoot! Dude is the Energizer Bunny! When that was done we went upstairs to the Viking Lounge for the after party.

jg1h.jpg

Marc doing what Marc does!

DAY THREE: NASSAU

Got a late start into Nassau. Little tuckered out from the previous nights shenanigans and drinking. Got downstairs and off ship after a quick lunch in the Windjammer. Overall impressions: Nassau is Nassau. We didn't do a whole lot of homework or book an excursion because we figured we'd walk around the area outside the port and play it by ear. Probably not the best plan as the area around the port was a lot more dense and urban than I imagined. I thought it would be slower and more small town-ish.

We jumped in a taxi and headed to the John Watling's Distillery. It was $15 for both of us. Dude took us on a mini tour to "skirt downtown traffic mon". It was a white knuckle affair. Yo, it was a ballet of courteous chaos. He'd signal and wave but there were a few times I thought he was going to hit something. And yes, I had it in my head that the drive on the opposite side of the road from us 'Muricans. But still....

uyzr.jpg

The NCL Dream pulling into port and the Disney Dream in port. The distillery.

We arrived unscathed at the distillery. It is a very short tour as there is only one building out back that houses the barrels and tanks of rum. You are on a platform above the building floor looking down at that and a dude hand-bottling the rum. Did not see the actual making of the rum though I suspect it's probably not a lot to it (from an idiots point of view I suppose).

The real magic happens in the beautiful colonial house that holds the shop and bar. There, you can purchase either of the three styles of rum (different ages), sample all three for free (as Yours Truly did) and then purchase a cocktail of your choosing (Libre Cuba if you're wondering). They also have t-shirts and bags for sale.

rncz.jpg

Me n Liz. God save the Queen.

It was a very hot day in Nassau (first real day were I felt uncomfortable) and the distillery's air condition and cold adult beverage conspired to hold me a little while. We sat and planned our next move then left the beautiful house and grounds for a short walk down West Street back towards the port area to the straw market. Trinkets and brick-a-bract o'plenty. Grabbed a few souvenirs for the family and got back to the ship. Again, not impressed enough to keep going BUT my recommendation is that once you get away from port-side on a guided tour or excursion Nassau has a lot to offer.

We meandered on the ship for a while until dinner time (won two trivia challenges with the help of another couple. RCI pens and luggage tags all around) and then realized that we hadn't set up a time to eat. We weren't hungry and figured we'd grab something at the sail-away later that night. We took in the magic show in the Orpheum, our first time in there. The show was cool. I don't watch magicians all the time and can't tell you if the quality of the magic was better than whomever is a top magician. But I enjoyed it.

k94s.jpg

Our take from the various trivia wins. Be jealous.

Later on it was back to the Orpheum for the Love and Marriage game show with Mark and three couples. Mark's wit is quick and fast! It was very funny and the couples didn't disappoint. Quite entertaining.

The sail-away was cool. Fun was had by all.

How Long did it take you to get to Orlando? When I mapquest And google map it, it shows over 7 hours. I don't remember it taking that long. We are in Marietta.

We live in the south Metro (Hampton) so 7 hours from marietta seem about right. With stopping for gas and food once and tolls we made it to Cocoa Beach in 7 hours.

DAY FOUR: CRUISING

0djj.jpg

Taking coffee on the balcony. Life is good.

Took room service for breakfast. They called beforehand to let us know they were on their way. I guess they've had enough of people answering the door not dressed or still sleep and not answering the door at all.

The food was NOT the business. While the room service menu is limited (and understandably so) the food was not up to the quality of the Windjammer. The hash browns were a small puck, the toast was more stale than toasted, the eggs institutional tasting. The coffee and bacon were OK. If you are not incapacitated and can leave the room it is advisable to eat all of your meals in any of the other dinning establishments.

68v4.jpg

Mr. Bing-Bong himself, cruise director Marc and me with a goofy smile on my face

It was a lazy day. We milled around reading and picking up. We then went to lunch in the WJ. After that we headed to a salsa dance lesson and then TV theme song trivia with Marc. On the pool deck there was a belly flop contest. Wow! After a few other events and activities we went to the MDR for dinner. Same as before food and service wise. We really wanted to check out the adult comedy show but we had to pack and Mrs. B-wolf was not feeling well and truth be told I was tired too. Got ready for disembarkation and the drive home the next day.

Disembarkation

Up early as we sailed into port. We finished packing and various "idiot checks". Got our itemized statement of charges. No problems there. I only had to visit guest relations once: to get small bills before our trip into Nassau.

After breakfast in the WJ one more time we went back to the stateroom to gather up our stuff and walk off the ship (we self carried). From the time we left the stateroom to clearing customs was about 30 minutes. We weren't in a hurry but if you are this would be the way to go I suppose.

A short van ride back to the Courtyard to pick up the car and we were back on the road north to Georgia.

We were sad that it had come to an end.

Epilogue

Final thoughts and impressions:

Pre-plan something in Nassau. Even if you don't schedule an excursion with RCI.

Take care of your room attendant. They take care of you.

Book a cabana. It is worth it.

Send your cleaning/pressing in on the first day.

If you want to avoid crowds in the Windjammer the first day eat a big breakfast and eat at the Park Cafe for lunch.

Want to swim and sun the first day? Carry on your swimwear and sunscreen. Or just come dressed in it.

I don't have much else other than that, first time and all. I'll answer any questions anyone may have and will try and scan the cruise compasses when I get back to work.

Until then, bing-bong!

Epilogue

If you want to avoid crowds in the Windjammer the first day eat a big breakfast and eat at the Park Cafe for lunch.

Want to swim and sun the first day? Carry on your swimwear and sunscreen. Or just come dressed in it.

I don't have much else other than that, first time and all. I'll answer any questions anyone may have and will try and scan the cruise compasses when I get back to work.

Until then, bing-bong!

Great review and summation! We too like Mark and will be on with him during his last week of his current contract. Thanks again!

OK .... so the big question for first-timers ... will you book another, or did you decide cruising is not for you?

Great question. Yes! We will!

We want to book a cruise for NYE for our family (son, SIL and us). Have to see how it pans out.

Would like to try another itinerary. We will most likely stay with RCI though we may try NCL or Celebrity if we do stray.

Edited by boogerwolf

Great review and summation! We too like Mark and will be on with him during his last week of his current contract. Thanks again!

Whoa! Marc's contract is up? RCCL would be doing themselves a REAL disservice if they don't renew his contract.

It's good to hear that you enjoyed your first cruise. Do you know how far the cabanette area is from the water park on coco cay?

I do not know how far it is from the water park but from the dock and info booth it's more than you want to walk carrying a bag.

Molly, the tram driver, is there to drive you to and from the cabanettes. You are his priority. When it was time for the BBQ lunch Linda radioed him for a pick up. He also brought us back. You can leave your stuff there as Linda keeps an eye on it.

I'm sorry I wish I knew the answer to your question. We didn't explore the island after we got where we were.

Epilogue

Until then, bing-bong!

My friend

This has been an absolute joy to read. I am so glad you enjoyed your first cruise. I am sure there will be more to come and I hope I get to meet you on on board for at least one of them.

Thanks!!

My friend

This has been an absolute joy to read. I am so glad you enjoyed your first cruise. I am sure there will be more to come and I hope I get to meet you on on board for at least one of them.

Thanks!!

Thank you. And yes, we hope there's more to come.

Great question. Yes! We will!

We want to book a cruise for NYE for our family (son, SIL and us). Have to see how it pans out.

Would like to try another itinerary. We will most likely stay with RCI though we may try NCL or Celebrity if we do stray.

If you're thinking NYE this year, it's going to terribly pricey. The holiday cruises are really at premium prices ... even when you book over a year in advance. We booked a mid-December cruise in late May out of Baltimore and the price has climbed considerably from the time we booked. It's been sold out for some time now, and the cost of the occasional cabin that pops up due to a cancellation is outrageous.

Loved your review! As someone who was on EOS as her first cruise, this reminded me of some of things I didn't include in mine! I laughed at your picture with the caption "2500 of our closest friends". I agree that the breakfast in bed isn't that great :p. And we also sent out our clothes on the first day to get dry cleaned! Imagine that haha. Great minds and all :)