pre paid tips ? Why do some not pay

dramaqueenjan

1. gratuity - a gift of money, over and above payment due for service!

For reasonable people that would make sense to receive the service before paying. Prepaying gratuity, isn't that an oxymoron? I think they are removing the auto-tip, which is added each day, but for our family of four that almost $50 per day, $350 on a 7 day cruise. It's recommended not required so it's really up to one's conscience. They are really two different things.

You can rationalize it any way you want. Is it more for more people? Yes. As it should be as there is more work.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app from my IPhone

Btw, it is not hard to hear folks removing their tips....

Some "say" they are paying in cash. I assure you (according with the many staff I have talked with) that is not the case.

Way to many are getting stiffed!

Heard much of the same. It's cheap pure and simple

Saw that post to. Would like to know how that poster knows that the 20 people in line in front of them was removing their tips.

Stick around the guest services desk on the last night. You would be amazed. We were there trying to arrange a medical transport for the end of the cruise. Counted 8 out of 17 removing tips. Trust me its cheap pure and sime.

Stick around the guest services desk on the last night. You would be amazed. We were there trying to arrange a medical transport for the end of the cruise. Counted 8 out of 17 removing tips. Trust me its cheap pure and sime.

What was the break down of the other 8?

It's funny reading here that people are cheap when the rest of the cruise world thinks Carnival cruisers are cheap, or like that 'other' place. One kind of cheapness verses another kind still spells cheap. I wish they would include the tip/charge in the rate and be over and done. If Carnival does this (but the other lines don't) the fare would be higher and we would be cheap no more.

If you cruise Carnival = cheap

If you cruise Carnival but don't tip = cheaper

If you book the cheap fare, don't tip and don't spend any money = cheapest

No...no....people who cruise on Carnival are poor, not cheap. They can't afford anything better. (joking)

And poor people don't have money to tip.....

But, IMHO....I think that the people aren't necessarily cheap (I mean, they pay for their drinks & stuff)....but lack empathy. They simply don't care about anyone other than themselves. And the fact that they are allowed to "not tip" lets think think of some reason (waiter did not know the name, there was dust in the corner etc) to withhold the money.

I'd say it's greed...rather than cheap.

Btw, it is not hard to hear folks removing their tips....

Some "say" they are paying in cash. I assure you (according with the many staff I have talked with) that is not the case.

Way to many are getting stiffed!

Thats because Carnival attracts BUS RIDING Tourists not Seasoned travelers

:D

Here is my take on it.

I dislike being automatically charged for a set gratuity "for my convenience". I'd rather have it as an option. In fact, I dislike it so much that I'm always tempted to have them all removed in protest.

That being said, my protest would cost people what has become their (meagre) wages. So I leave them on and tip (in cash) a bit extra for outstanding service.

I really wish the cruise lines would do away with the whole gratuity thing and add it to our cruise fares. We can then tip for good service. But I'm also still waiting for pigs to fly.

Anyway, that's my take. You may have a different one.

I agree with those who support adding the TIP to the cost of the cruise.

Yes, the cost for a family of 4 will increase $350, but the people providing service to that family of 4 for a week will be paid for their work.

The system allows cheap people to take advantage and stiff the service staff, which is not right. How would they like it if they worked for free for a week?

The system used to be cash in envelopes at the end of the cruise, it worked until too many people cheaped out, then the system evolved to what it is today. I hope it will continue to evolve and the TIP is added to the bill which is paid before the cruise starts.

Yes, the cost for a family of 4 will increase $350, but the people providing service to that family of 4 for a week will be paid for their work.

Well, for those of us who pay our automatic gratuities, the price won't change at all.

Here is my take on it.

I dislike being automatically charged for a set gratuity "for my convenience". I'd rather have it as an option. In fact, I dislike it so much that I'm always tempted to have them all removed in protest.

That being said, my protest would cost people what has become their (meagre) wages. So I leave them on and tip (in cash) a bit extra for outstanding service.

I really wish the cruise lines would do away with the whole gratuity thing and add it to our cruise fares. We can then tip for good service. But I'm also still waiting for pigs to fly.

Anyway, that's my take. You may have a different one.

Same here.

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

We set up our account cash and pay the gratuities when we set up the account onboard first day after boarding and make sure the tips are taken out as we set it up.

Not stiffing anyone at all, just like it set up that way. I would never take tips off for any reason. :eek:

Each to their own discretion though having a daughter making $2.13 an hour as a server and have people buy dinner for $60 and give her a $2 tip is ridiculous, or worse, working a double shift and 4 tables stiffed her on any tip at all. No, not bad service, she is the best one they have, polite, quick, nice, refills etc etc. (best from mgmt. speaking) and still get stiffed.

Her saying is it sucks, but just maybe they only could afford to eat for the money they had and no extras for my tip. :)

Here is the reason people remove their tips...per Carnival Policy..."Once gratuities have been posted, you may adjust them at your discretion at any time while onboard. Gratuities will be deemed undisputed unless a request to modify is received prior to disembarking the ship."

Quite simply, it is their discretion to do so! They don't have to give a reason...and they certainly don't have to tell anyone at Cruise Critic or anyone else why. All of the "expert opinions" on this board could be, and are likely to be completely wrong. The fault is Carnival's. Same policy says tips for cruises to nowhere and those for Barbados are automatically added and paid during the booking process. They could do the same for all other cruises if they wanted to. They could also take the "discretion" away if they wanted to. Why don't you ask Carnival why they are creating this controversy and treat different cruises in different ways? If you want to talk cheap, let's talk about people smuggling booze on the ship. Doing that also affects tips, as the 15% added to bar drinks does not get paid when these people smuggle. No one seems to care about that.

You can rationalize it any way you want. Is it more for more people? Yes. As it should be as there is more work.

Pfff, Until YOU start to pay for my vacation tab there is nothing to rationalize. Carnival says my tip is optional/suggested, at my discretion, so what I do is between ME and my conscience. Please take you concerns to Carnival, the company that has clearly failed to do right by the employees by not including it in the fare, if it's expect to be paid. Now, watch the TRUE cheapers scream when the rates go up, to take care of those they claim to have pity on. Please excuse my post if you thought for one second that I would waste my time to rationalize a decision based clearly on a company failure. If you find it necessary to judge others based on the fact Carnival failed to do what's in the best interest of the employees, go ahead bro!

Aside, I READ the OP post which was addressing prepay gratuity. Most may leave the auto tip but do not prepay it. Common sense would suggest telling a family of 4, sharing a coffin, to tip $350 optional is leading people into temptation they can get to all by themselves. The coffins for 4 is usually more expensive than those for 2.

Edited by Blk_Amish

Well, for those of us who pay our automatic gratuities, the price won't change at all.

It would because your prepaid gratuity would now be shown as income, if it was required. Where there is income there is corporate taxes, lessen profit, therefore get passed on to the passengers.You would pay more but this would guarantee the income of the staff. For the employees to be treated right, we all have to be willing to pay more, or even cruise less. How much more are you willing to pay so the employees can be treated fairly: 10, 15, 20 percent? Now don't be cheap, no too cheap:D

Just not to read people who are labeled as cheap for cruising Carnival, call each other cheap, would be worth it for me to pay the extra. Too much like liking the wand/word others use to whip you.:eek:

Edited by Blk_Amish

IF Carnival included it in their price, then there would be tax implications ....which we the customer would ultimately pay in higher cruise prices.

Since they don't pay US taxes now, what tax implication would there be if the price of the cruise was increased or they call it a service charge?

So I was reading A thread on here someone complaining about her neighbors and she said when she was in line at guest services 20 people in front of her were canceling there pre paid gratuities .. I m new to cruising Why would people do this ?

I have a friend who is almost diamond and insists on only tipping the people she gets service from in cash. I've seen her tip at a local bar, so I know she's not cheap. Some people who may get a cut of the auto-tips will lose out. Others will get more and not have to share with anyone else. I'm sure the cabin stewards and MDR waiters would prefer it if everyone handed them the tips in cash.

Same policy says tips for cruises to nowhere and those for Barbados are automatically added and paid during the booking process.

I don't know about the cruises to nowhere, but the cruises embarking in Barbados are usually citizens of countries where tipping is not the norm and service industry people are paid a living wage. So they build it into the price to account for that.