Live from Island Princess - Lewie Style

2ndCitySue

DAY 8 - LEWIE'S MUSINGS AT SEA

Today on deck was enjoyable. The weather was sunny, hot and humid. This evening it is raining. Tonight was formal night. Dinner was very elegant and Jerrick and Remo spoiled us again.

My theme today is the music on board. It is excellent. In addition to the talented Randy Heddon Quartet, I have enjoyed other performers. The Joszef Mezei Trio play piano, violin, and viola in the Atrium. I like their classical music, especially their version of Ave Maria, which lifted my spirits. Bobby Hamilton, The Piano Man at Crooners, belts out Louis Armstrong and Frank Sinatra with gusto.

I'm coming down with a bad cold so I will sign off for now. Tomorrow I will report from Grand Cayman Island.

I hope you are enjoying reading my blog,

Lewie

Look after that cold Yes we enjoy your blog.

I'm coming down with a bad cold so I will sign off for now. Tomorrow I will report from Grand Cayman Island.

Lewie

Hi Lewie and Sue,

I am enjoying very much reading your blogs and they bring back happy memories for me.

I hope you enjoy Grand Cayman as much or more than I did! I bought a large conch shell there.

Happy thoughts to both of you!

Day 9 - LEWIE'S MUSINGS FROM GRAND CAYMAN ISLAND

The weather today is hot as hell (Hell, Grand Cayman; that is). No rain here, man.

We are heading back to the ship after a good visit on the island. I've met quite a few friendly people who took time to listen to me and answer my questions about their lives at home.

Glenn & Donna from Newfoundland were very talkative. He is a retired cop & she is a nurse. She enjoys nursing and feels that it is a calling for her. Charles & Roxanne are from Arizona. They are enjoying this weather but find it much more humid than Arizona.

We shopped at Juana's Gift shop, Giselle & Emile were very friendly. Emile and I hit it off real well, especially when he told me he's originally from Philadelphia where I was born. He called me his homey. He gave me a special "Lewie discount" on a tropical themed shirt which kept me on target with my budget. The shirt has a blue background to remind me of the sea in Cayman. He also pointed out birds found on Cayman and local flowers on the shirt. Aunt Sue said it looks really good with my coloring. I'm pleased with my purchase.

I had a picture taken with Emile and by that time we had bonded, so he invited me and Aunt Sue to come back and stay with his family for two weeks on a beautiful part of the island. His property is on the beach and he has lovely trees and birds. He will show us everything that the island has to offer and will cook us the fruits of the sea and other island favorites. He gave us his contact information and we hope to take him up on his offer.

Emile's shop is called Juana's Gift shop. It is across the street and down a few blocks from the Atlantis Port, in the direction of Atlantis Submarine. Be sure to look him up at his shop and give him my regards. He has nice things in his shop at good prices. Enjoy.

Signing off from the Grand Cayman Island,

Lewie

DAY 9 - GRAND CAYMAN VISIT - AUNT SUE

We really enjoyed Grand Cayman today. We met friendly merchants and fellow cruisers as we walked along the main street.

I went to the sail-away party for the first time today. I met one of the musicians, Gideon the leader of the band Magnitude, in the Horizon Court. I decided it was about time I sailed away in style. The band has Gideon on keyboard, a drummer, two guitarists, and a female vocalist, all of them from St. Lucia? They met in a church group there. They are talented, lively and fun. I also went to hear them in the Explorers Lounge after dinner. They were really cookin'. I especially liked their rendition of "Crazy Little Thing Called Love" by Michael Buble' and "Crocodile Rock" by Elton John. They also take requests from the audience.

Next I went to the Princess Theatre to listen to Vocalist Zach Winningham, who is also a guitarist. He performed with the talented Princess Orchestra. Zach is from a small town in Indiana and is talented and engaging, yet a humble man. He did numbers by Johnny Cash, Ricky Nelson, Roger Miller, other artists, and closed with a lively rendition of James Taylor's "Steamroller Baby." He will be here during the next cruise too.

Up next is the crew talent show which I will report on tomorrow as well as covering more about Grand Cayman attractions.

On Board, The Island has been having Pub Lunches at the Bayou on sea days. The first day, day I had the excellent beef & kidney pie and it was far superior to the fish and chips I had yesterday. Shall I go again tomorrow? Decisions, decisions. I guess it depends on what time I get finished with my $89 spa special. Nice kind of problems to have!

Here's another helpful IPad-type tip. The wifi would not work at the North Terminal where Princess had their tender operation. We were sent to the South Terminal but wifi still did not pop up. We continued a few more steps to the Atlantic Submarine store. They have benches on the back of their building, facing the water. Select the "atlantisguest" network and your complimentary port wifi will pop right up. The workers there were most pleasant and agreeable to us about sitting on their back porch. That is where Lewie composed his blog today right before we headed to the tenders. Another friend found free internet at The Tortuguero Rum Cake Factory near the South Terminal.

Smooth Sailing to All,

Sue

p.s. Correction from Yesterday: In my blog entry, I erroneously said it was Day 7 but it was in reality Day 8. Another brain fart, to borrow a Lewie-ism!

DAY 8 - LEWIE'S MUSINGS AT SEA

Today on deck was enjoyable. The weather was sunny, hot and humid. This evening it is raining. Tonight was formal night. Dinner was very elegant and Jerrick and Remo spoiled us again.

My theme today is the music on board. It is excellent. In addition to the talented Randy Heddon Quartet, I have enjoyed other performers. The Joszef Mezei Trio play piano, violin, and viola in the Atrium. I like their classical music, especially their version of Ave Maria, which lifted my spirits. Bobby Hamilton, The Piano Man at Crooners, belts out Louis Armstrong and Frank Sinatra with gusto.

Lewie

Lewie, I have been following your posts and Aunt Sue's on CC since you started your cruise. We did a full transit of the Panama Canal on the Island in January. We would often sit in La Patisserie and listen to the Joszef Mezei Trio before or after dinner. We bought one of their albums. Thank you for bringing back memories :)

DAY 10 - FINAL MUSINGS FROM LEWIE AT SEA

Good day all,

Good Morning from the Caribbean Sea. We are on the final leg of our journey, due to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale early on Wednesday morning.

Today I am busy saying my goodbyes to my many friends on board. The Island Princess and the staff on it have been real good to me. In fact, Simone at the main desk suggested we visit her home town of Cape Town, South Africa, at this time of year because it is a beautiful time of year to see it. So now I have another place to add to my list for future travel.

The weather today is improved because yesterday it rained hard starting right when we got back to the ship and the promenade had to be shut down due to dangerous amounts of rain and wind.

On board today there are tours of the galley, tours of the bridge and other fun events.

I want to fill you in on my budget. I'm proud to say that I stuck to spending $35/day. Some days it was hard not to spend more. I'm glad I organized my extra tips early or else I would have had to slight my super-helpful cabin steward Ruel and my most-attentive waiter Jerrick. I'm feeling great about myself for sticking to my budget.

Now let me bid you, the readers of my blog, a goodbye too. I thank you all for the encouraging words you gave me.

Signing off from the Island Princess,

Lewie

p.s. - The people of the Island Princess were like a tonic to my gin, even though I can't drink.

DAY 10 - AUNT SUE'S FINAL BLOG - AT SEA HEADED FOR FT. LAUDERDALE

You are hearing from the new Sue. "How so?", you ask. I went to the spa this morning and again this afternoon. I feel as if my terrific spa professional, Kerisha took at least 10 years off my life. I wish I would have met her earlier in the cruise because I would probably be a baby by now! This morning my special included a back and arm massage, a scalp treatment, a facial and eye treatment to the extent that I felt like a new person. Then coming back for a pedicure this afternoon was the piece de resistance'. She is a lovely soul from Jamaica and we hold very similar views on life. I have invited her to stay in my guest room should she ever make it to Chicago. Be sure to look Kerisha up in the spa and bring her my love. Book a special on the first day and you may come off the ship a brand spanking new person.

The rest of my note will be potpourri, so please bear with me. The Crew Talent Show in the Princess Theatre was riveting. It was done very professionally and was backed up by The talented Island Princess Orchestra. It is hard to believe just how talented and funny this crew is. Get there early to secure a good seat. About 15 minutes prior to start, colorful balloons start down through the audience. What fun we had with those!

Yesterday in Grand Cayman, I walked with Lewie back to the tender and watched him board, and then walked over to the nearby National Museum with the red roof, housed in one of the few surviving 19th Century structures on the Island. It is a little maritime museum and is very well done. The first room I went to used to be a jail cell and is named The Gaol, from pirate days gone by. Then I went to a room with photographs mounted of life in Grand Cayman long ago. The final room is a remarkable mock up of the island's unique natural world. It includes a Booby Pond, a reef and videos of the marine life found there. Children can sit in a train car with a steering wheel to view the colorful fish. There is also an upstairs which I did not have time to check out. I was glad I went, although I only stayed for 20 minutes.

Finally, I want to thank you for the encouragement you showed my dear nephew and God son, Lewie. I have been on many cruises with him but this was by far the most enjoyable one so far. Writing to you every day gave him accountability and strength to follow through on his commitments. He spread joy throughout this vessel. My nephew really raised to the occasion and told me he feels really good about himself.

Happy travels to all my fellow CC'ers,

Aunt Sue

DAY 10 - AUNT SUE'S FINAL BLOG - AT SEA HEADED FOR FT. LAUDERDALE

You are hearing from the new Sue. "How so?", you ask. I went to the spa this morning and again this afternoon. I feel as if my terrific spa professional, Kerisha took at least 10 years off my life. I wish I would have met her earlier in the cruise because I would probably be a baby by now! This morning my special included a back and arm massage, a scalp treatment, a facial and eye treatment to the extent that I felt like a new person. Then coming back for a pedicure this afternoon was the piece de resistance'. She is a lovely soul from Jamaica and we hold very similar views on life. I have invited her to stay in my guest room should she ever make it to Chicago. Be sure to look Kerisha up in the spa and bring her my love. Book a special on the first day and you may come off the ship a brand spanking new person.

The rest of my note will be potpourri, so please bear with me. The Crew Talent Show in the Princess Theatre was riveting. It was done very professionally and was backed up by The talented Island Princess Orchestra. It is hard to believe just how talented and funny this crew is. Get there early to secure a good seat. About 15 minutes prior to start, colorful balloons start down through the audience. What fun we had with those!

Yesterday in Grand Cayman, I walked with Lewie back to the tender and watched him board, and then walked over to the nearby National Museum with the red roof, housed in one of the few surviving 19th Century structures on the Island. It is a little maritime museum and is very well done. The first room I went to used to be a jail cell and is named The Gaol, from pirate days gone by. Then I went to a room with photographs mounted of life in Grand Cayman long ago. The final room is a remarkable mock up of the island's unique natural world. It includes a Booby Pond, a reef and videos of the marine life found there. Children can sit in a train car with a steering wheel to view the colorful fish. There is also an upstairs which I did not have time to check out. I was glad I went, although I only stayed for 20 minutes.

Finally, I want to thank you for the encouragement you showed my dear nephew and God son, Lewie. I have been on many cruises with him but this was by far the most enjoyable one so far. Writing to you every day gave him accountability and strength to follow through on his commitments. He spread joy throughout this vessel. My nephew really raised to the occasion and told me he feels really good about himself.

Happy travels to all my fellow CC'ers,

Aunt Sue

Thanks for all your comments and we know both you and Lewie are very lucky to have each other. You spread a little joy

Lewie, thank you for taking time to share your cruise with us. I am doing my first cruise on to the Panama Canal in the spring and your live thread has been very helpful. I'm glad you had a good time and were able to stick with your budget. You must be a very special person as you made a lot of friends.

Sue, you are the kind of aunt I try to be with my nieces and nephews. How wonderful that Lewie has such a special aunt such as you. Both of your live threads have been very enjoyable!

DAY 10 - FINAL MUSINGS FROM LEWIE AT SEA

Good day all,

Good Morning from the Caribbean Sea. We are on the final leg of our journey, due to arrive in Ft. Lauderdale early on Wednesday morning.

Today I am busy saying my goodbyes to my many friends on board. The Island Princess and the staff on it have been real good to me. In fact, Simone at the main desk suggested we visit her home town of Cape Town, South Africa, at this time of year because it is a beautiful time of year to see it. So now I have another place to add to my list for future travel.

The weather today is improved because yesterday it rained hard starting right when we got back to the ship and the promenade had to be shut down due to dangerous amounts of rain and wind.

On board today there are tours of the galley, tours of the bridge and other fun events.

I want to fill you in on my budget. I'm proud to say that I stuck to spending $35/day. Some days it was hard not to spend more. I'm glad I organized my extra tips early or else I would have had to slight my super-helpful cabin steward Ruel and my most-attentive waiter Jerrick. I'm feeling great about myself for sticking to my budget.

Now let me bid you, the readers of my blog, a goodbye too. I thank you all for the encouraging words you gave me.

Signing off from the Island Princess,

Lewie

p.s. - The people of the Island Princess were like a tonic to my gin, even though I can't drink.

Lewie and Sue,

Thank you so much for sharing your voyage with us!

Linda

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

Lewie and Sue,

Thank you so much for your live journal and your tales of your Island Princess family. It has been such a joy to learn of your adventures. Wishing you calm seas, peaceful travels and more wonder on your next journey.

Congratulations for staying on budget! Maybe you need to give us all lessons!

Loved the photos that were posted too! Your smile really shows us how much you enjoyed your cruise! Can't wait to hear where you next adventure will be!

Give your aunt a big hug! She is super to be your traveling mate. It is always good to have one! I am sure you learn from each other while on your travels.

I've enjoyed staying warm with your blog. Thank you again for taking us along!

Safe travels home!