CROWN PRINCESS remembered in photos and video

Bimmer09

A long floating pontoon bridge crosses the water between the two halves of Willemstad. It can be swung out of the way to let ships pass through.

IMG_2027.JPG

There's a blue and white ferry which takes passengers across when the bridge is in the open position.

Carol wanted this visit this building which is the oldest Synagogue in the Western Hemisphere but alas it closed at 5pm and it was now almost 6.

IMG_1987.JPG

IMG_2029.JPG

A government building as I recall

IMG_2028.JPG

IMG_1986.JPG

Oddly the stores downtown close at 6pm even though there are over 3,000 passengers and crew ashore. There are still tourist shops open out by the ship

however.

The streets consequently were empty

IMG_2031.JPG

IMG_2034.JPG

IMG_2033.JPG

We stopped at a waterfront cafe. People were tucking into steaming plates of food but we were going to dine on the ship so just ordered drinks. A Heineken and a club soda cost $3 U.S and the Dollar was welcomed.

IMG_1990.JPG

I became a Grand Class groupie on this voyage. Stunning design (IMHO)

That is the word I use as well.

For my first cruise in decades this spring, I too was on the Crown in an aft suite. And I am looking forward to some time in the same cabin on the Caribbean Princess in a month. (Don't worry, I booked it in my name and paid for it - less surprise and annoyance to legit suite passengers that way)

Thoroughly enjoying your travelogue. Take your time (but hurry!)...

Rick

Someday I would like to be on a cruise where the ship on certain nights stayed in port so that I could be ashore-in Curacao for example- having dinner outdoors on a balmy night and then enjoy some live music and drinking/chatting into the wee hours before heading back to the ship to sleep.

I was in a mellow, relaxing mood as we sat at the cafe on the waterfront. In the distance the Crown had her night lights turned on.

IMG_2037.JPG

IMG_1991.JPG

IMG_1992.JPG

We could imagine that first dinner sitting was in progress. We hadn't eaten for 11 hours by the time we would make it back on board. We were looking forward to being pampered in the MDR. I think it was Caribbean Night on board.

Then something happened...the bridge across the channel flashed it's lights and started to move, in a long slow arc, powered by some outboard motors ( I think)...I got the camcorder and shot this movie...

(coming next)

Some photos...taken during the video process...two cameras to consider....multi-tasking...beer, hungry....

IMG_1994.JPG

A true beauty

IMG_2039.JPG

Back on board, after walking across the now-returned to normal position bridge

and making our way through the shopping streets by the ship-last minute diamond shopping , anyone? we were HOME, on the Crown and soon sitting down at a two-top, elbow to elbow with our neighbors. 11 hours without food-on a cruise-how rare is that?? We scarfed down whatever was laid before us on a plate, which is something I could say about every ship-board meal I have had on Princess to date. I've toured the kitchens 4 times, seen how it is done but am still surprised that they manage to get hot tasty food to the table for me every time.

I've eaten in some fine restaurants (11 Madison in New York being the benchmark but also such notables as Les Celebrites in Manhattan and Fleur de Lys in San Francisco, home to our favorite chef, Hubert Keller from Alsace) and have to tell you that the Princess kitchens are NOT as memorable as those....but the ship food didn't cost us $150 per person either. It was in the price of the ticket, for the room, service, entertainment, passage from port to port etc....a great BANG for the buck!! No complaints here.

During the meal the familiar and welcome face of the Maitre 'd Neville Saldana came by and stopped to chat. We had seen him on the Coral and loved his sense of humor. Having lived in London and counted a few Indians among my friends and colleagues I was prepared to like him. To me Indian people are just fine and have a love of laughter and are sharp as tacks when it comes to humor. London is a better place because of them. Their cuisine is my favorite too.

Here's some food photos back in the day when I wasn't great at taking food pics...

Roasted cod with chorizo

IMG_2041.JPG

I think this is jerk chicken with rice and peas (which are really beans-what's with those Jamaicans?? Carol's mother was Jamaican (Caucasian during British rule) so she has a hankering' to cruise to Jamaica. Someday....soon. I remember Shaw park Gardens fondly and also horse riding in the hills above Ocho Rios. Anyone know the fabulous Sans Souci Hotel there?

IMG_2042.JPG

Bimmer09: thanks for the videos! My husband and I watched them on our tv last night so you hosted our entertainment and they were great! Hubby said you have the most steady hand he has ever seen taking videos and I agree! Weren't you a bit nervous when you saw your transportation to the ship floating away?! I would have freaked, but then ago I'm a nervousness Nellie ( or so I'm told).

Anyways thanks again for posting this thread it's great viewing!

Cathi

Bimmer09: thanks for the videos! My husband and I watched them on our tv last night so you hosted our entertainment and they were great! Hubby said you have the most steady hand he has ever seen taking videos and I agree! Weren't you a bit nervous when you saw your transportation to the ship floating away?! I would have freaked, but then ago I'm a nervousness Nellie ( or so I'm told).

Anyways thanks again for posting this thread it's great viewing!

Cathi

Cathi- thanks for the steady hand compliment! The Canon camcorder is tiny as you can see in a photo or two but I usually use both hands to hold it steady and my aim is to avoid giving the viewer whiplash from trying to follow the camera.

There are a lot of "burglar cam" videos on youtube and also some extreme "bee cam" ones- where it looks like the photographer is being surrounded by angry bees while shooting or the camera has been strapped (glued probably) to the head of an Alpha bee and off he goes.

I hook up the camera to a 46 inch sony HDTV when we come home from a cruise and that is the best way to see it-big screen and with 1080p definition. The youtube ones are stepped down to 720p by the youtube upload engine. Pity.

Carol then takes the video and feeds it to a Blu Ray DVD recorder so we can play it anywhere.

I wasn't worried when the bridge took away our access to the ship as the ferry immediately sprang into action so we were covered.

Keep watching- more to come!

Norris

In both ports the ship docked and disembarked passengers on the Port side.

She was the only cruise ship in both ports on that itinerary. We left Curacao at 10pm-it got dark shortly after 6 so we had the pleasure of sitting outdoors by the river (estuary) drinking cheap beer (Heineken $2 a bottle) and looking at the Crown in the distance all lit up. There will be photos when the time comes in the review, and video of the famous swing bridge opening to let ships pass through.

Norris

Norris, this is the best review ever! We're sailing on the Crown Nov. 16th and your review, photos, and videos are great. I thank you for this posting of what you did in Curacao as we've never been there at night before (only during the daytime) and we were wondering what to do. After dinner having a evening drink by the river sounds like escaping completely!:)

I had been to Curacao and Aruba before-in 1990 and the reason why I was back there was that- I had been there before. And would happily visit both again on a nice big cruise ship.

We were the only cruise ship docked in Aruba...

IMG_2043.JPG

But not the only ship...

IMG_2044.JPG

I love merchant ships. Everybody knows that. Without them the islands that we love couldn't survive. The Canadian-built submarine that we we going to sail (sink?) upon later that day couldn't have got here otherwise.

Breakfast at Sabatini's of course..

IMG_2048.JPG

The Sabatini's breakfast is for suite passengers only so it is never packed. I did see a couple of non-suite people ask if they could come in for breakfast but the genial Italian host Pedro turned the water cannon on them and let loose the snarling dogs. You can order off the Sabatini menu or from the MDR. On the Diamond Princess (the cruise to Alaska which followed this one) I had a hankering for corned beef hash each morning and the waiter went to the MDR each day to fetch it.

I'll mix things up a bit by posting the video of our excursion next and follow it with the photographs from the day.

But first I have to pop next door and see if the Youtube boys are home...

Stay tuned.

Norris

Norris, this is the best review ever! We're sailing on the Crown Nov. 16th and your review, photos, and videos are great. I thank you for this posting of what you did in Curacao as we've never been there at night before (only during the daytime) and we were wondering what to do. After dinner having a evening drink by the river sounds like escaping completely!:)

We sat at the restaurant closest to the end of the bridge. The waitress spoke English and the dollar was welcomed. Cheap prices. Just wish I had sampled some of the food. Next time. I love Curacao and wish I had spent more time there at the restaurant just watching the world go slowly by.

Funny thing- in the video the big ship that sails past us in the night is called "Stadt Munchen" which means City of Munich...which is our favorite city in the world (but we haven't been to Venice yet....but will next September! Hooray!)

Here comes more video...I am sitting on the Motherlode here!

Norris

I didn't upload all of the video-to save it from being monotonous. Under the sea everything just looks blue unless, like one of my heroes Jacques Cousteau, you have lights to show the color of the fish. Otherwise everything looks a drab blue and how much fun is that?

Anyway- it was fun and we loved the experience of being 140 ft down.

Norris

Norris,

Thanks for doing these reviews (this one and the Alaska review a few months ago). Its fun seeing some of the same sights that we saw a few years before you went. Great memories! :cool:

We did the submarine in St. Thomas in 2000 and your video looks just like mine from back then, all blue down there. Even looks like the same fish that we saw. :)

You have to climb down a few steps (backwards facing the steps) to access the interior of the submarine but there is a crew member at the bottom to help guide you.

There is no buffet in the sub and definitely no art auction.

IMG_1995.JPG

Everyone gets a window seat

The Captain

IMG_2049.JPG

The fish

IMG_2050.JPG

IMG_2051.JPG

IMG_1996.JPG

During the meal the familiar and welcome face of the Maitre 'd Neville Saldana came by and stopped to chat. We had seen him on the Coral and loved his sense of humor. Having lived in London and counted a few Indians among my friends and colleagues I was prepared to like him. To me Indian people are just fine and have a love of laughter and are sharp as tacks when it comes to humor. London is a better place because of them. Their cuisine is my favorite too.

Neville is the best! We met him on the Crown Princess also and still keep in touch with him. He just finished a contract on the Sea Princess down under (including a World Cruise) and is now home with his family in Poland.

I am enjoying this thread very much. Thanks so much for sharing with us. I am doing the same trip on the Crown 11/30/13. Been thinking of reserving the sanctuary for the week but not sure it is worth the price. I am a bit confused as to what comes with the fee. You mentioned that they will get you food and drinks. I understand there is a $3 charge for delivery. I assume there is a charge for the drinks? What kind of drinks are included and what drinks carry a charge? What kind of foods are on the menu? Will they bring you foods that are not on the menu?

So very much enjoying your review.We were on these same islands on the Grand 2 yrs. ago and loved them.We will return again on our first sailing on the Crown in Jan.Thanks so much for all the beautiful pictures and sharing your experience!

I am enjoying this thread very much. Thanks so much for sharing with us. I am doing the same trip on the Crown 11/30/13. Been thinking of reserving the sanctuary for the week but not sure it is worth the price. I am a bit confused as to what comes with the fee. You mentioned that they will get you food and drinks. I understand there is a $3 charge for delivery. I assume there is a charge for the drinks? What kind of drinks are included and what drinks carry a charge? What kind of foods are on the menu? Will they bring you foods that are not on the menu?

Howard, I don't have access to the Sanctuary menu. Carol might have in her cruise folder which is in the Michigan house-will be there tomorrow and take a look-see.

Your fee pays for the lounger and includes free drinks (soft) like smoothies,lemonade, fruit-infixed waters etc. If you want a beer they will go down and get one from the Tradewinds bar, which is a hop-skip and a jump away but walking normally will get a person there too. I imagine you have to give them your cruise card so they can pay for it. If it is alcohol You pay for it. They have a menu of "spa food" which would mean light and healthy-the exact antithesis of my diet...fruit skewers, lettuce wrapped spring rolls as an example. No charge.

For things that are found outside the S-say a shrimp salad from the International Cafe or pizza then they have to leave their post for a while and that carries a $3 service charge.

I go get my own beer as for me it provides some leg stretching and a smoking opportunity. If I did ask them to get me a Beck's I would tip them a dollar.

Afternoon tea will be brought to your lounger-sandwiches, hot tea, scones, cookies and no tipping required. No limit to how much you can eat.

The best feature of the S is PEACE and QUIET and a super comfy lounger to nap on. No one else can use that lounger for the week if you so book. We always book for the week just so it is "there" anytime we want to use it. Carol uses it a lot.

There have been times when we are the only two there (especially in Alaska, LOL)

Hope this helps Howard.

Norris

So very much enjoying your review.We were on these same islands on the Grand 2 yrs. ago and loved them.We will return again on our first sailing on the Crown in Jan.Thanks so much for all the beautiful pictures and sharing your experience!

You are most welcome!

There's much more to come and certainly a lot more photos of the interior of the ship as there are sea days ahead plus Pop Choir and Ultimate Ship Tour and how can I forget the surprise Ultimate Balcony Dinner for Carol as we leave Aruba behind?

Meantime I am off to the Opera tonight and have a day off tomorrow when I can write and post more.

Thanks for the kind words.

Norris

in Chicago