Where to buy Vanilla?

nanapat

Hi all my fellow cruiseres!

I was asked where to buy vanilla when we are not going to Mexico. We will be on the Breeze traveling to Nassau, Ocho Rios, and Grand Turk.

Can any one please help me?

Thanks to all the posters on this site who have helped me SO much over the years!

Pat

Hi all my fellow cruiseres!

I was asked where to buy vanilla when we are not going to Mexico. We will be on the Breeze traveling to Nassau, Ocho Rios, and Grand Turk.

Can any one please help me?

Thanks to all the posters on this site who have helped me SO much over the years!

Pat

I bought my last vanilla in Cozumel. I do not remember seeing it in any of the 3 ports you listed.

I have never looked for, or seen, Mexican vanilla in any of these ports. You could offer to look, but no guarantees, but I wouldn't spend a lot of time and energy on the endeavour. I doubt you will find any. Now if they want knockoff purses, coffee or a glass from Margaritaville, you can help them out!

Well if it is only the price then I definitely wouldn't buy it. 16 ounces at Sam's is $6.87 for 100% Pure Vanilla Extract, while in Cozumel they wanted $14.00 for 16 ounces.

I always wondered what was so special that it was double price in Mexico.

Some people are fine with the extract over the real deal.

And it does NOT compare to Mexican Vanilla from Papantla, Veracruz. FYI: you only need 1/2 as much Mexican vanilla as USA or health-food-store "pure" vanilla. And once you taste it you will KNOW there's a difference.

I had a 750 ml bottle of vanilla I bought in '79 IIRC. It lasted through 3 marriages and divorces, half a dozen moves, saw the birth of my 2 kids, and still had about 3/4c. left in the bottle when I knocked it off the pantry shelf and broke it last year. I cried. But the pantry smelled great for about 6 months!

They also have very good vanilla in Grenada - lots of different sizes along with many spice products at many stalls near the cruise port. The price seemed good but when I glanced over to another vendor booth the price dropped a bit more.

We bought it in Cozumel about a year and half ago. Since we bake alot (and Dh uses it in his pancake recipe) we just recently finished the bottle. Thankfully last year a coworker went to Cozumel on a cruise and I got him to bring me another bottle back.

While it might be cheaper at some places here in the USA, it pales in comparison. We LOVE the mexican vanilla!

That being said, there is a mexican deli a few towns over and guess what? They sell REAL Mexican vanilla in the little grocery part and its just as cheap as cozumel, of course, I most definitely enjoy cruising to pick it up more!

We've almost given up buying food in other countries. Buy it, schlep it home then find it in one of our local stores. Oddest thing was a red pepper/eggplant sauce that DD fell in love with in Kosovo. Found it a few weeks after she arrived in the next town over from us.

We make our own vanilla. Vodka and vanilla beans, store in a cool, dry, dark place. No need to worry about any additives.

How does one determine for sure if they are buying the real stuff? I planned to buy a few big bottles in Cozumel, which is why I checked out this thread. I really want to try some of "the world's best vanilla" but don't know how to get it for sure.

http://www.straightdope.com/columns/read/2328/is-mexican-vanilla-toxic-plus

http://www.snopes.com/food/ingredient/vanilla.asp

When I have seen what I consider to be reliable places, the price is like $20 for 8 oz. So, does anyone have any specific place in Cozumel and a specific brand to ensure getting real Mexican vanilla?

Archived