Yes- you can make an early flight out of FLL

calimn

There is always so many questions about making early flights after a cruise. So just wanted to share our experience. Sailed on Allure and since we had to fly cross coutry back to California, wanted to do an early flight. Originally was looking at 10:15 SW flight - but hesitated too long and couldn't get that for a reasonable deal. So decided to take a risk and book the 8:55am flight!! I am normally a person who hates being late and am a planner so this seemed really risky but since worse case was I called Southwest and delay the reservation with no fee - decided to risk it.

Printed out our boarding passes day before (free in internet center). Carried our luggare off the ship. We left our stateroom at 6:30 - no issue walking off the ship. Had too wait 2 elavator cycles at the port, but got through that and quickly cleared customs. After some confusion on where taxi's are (on exiting building go left, cross the street to taxi line, even though signage seems to indicate right in front). Quick taxi ride ($15) and we were at airport. Proceeded through SW line to check our bags, and then headed to security line. Cleared Security and checked time and it was 7:15! So we had plenty of time to get coffee, sit at the gate a bit and easily make our 8:55 flight.

Could unknown delays occur? Yes, but if you want to try, definetly doable as long as you are disciplined to walk out early

Yes, it can be done. A couple years ago we had later flight and we got right of ship and got an earlier flight once we got to the airport. Thank goodness we did because they had bad weather at home and all later flights got canceled. We would have been stuck in FLL!

Of course it "can" be done. No one has ever said that it is impossible.

But as you experienced and said, everything has to align perfectly. One problem, and there goes your flight.

(all of these things have happened)

If the ship's clearance had been delayed.

If customs had been late in showing up and staffing the lines.

If you had had to wait for a taxi.

If the check-in line for SW had been uber-crowded.

If the security line had been very loooooong.

Just sayin'.

:)

Of course it "can" be done. No one has ever said that it is impossible.

But as you experienced and said, everything has to align perfectly. One problem, and there goes your flight.

(all of these things have happened)

If the ship's clearance had been delayed.

If customs had been late in showing up and staffing the lines.

If you had had to wait for a taxi.

If the check-in line for SW had been uber-crowded.

If the security line had been very loooooong.

Just sayin'.

:)

Yes...it's always those darn "if's" that can get you into trouble...:D

What does this have to do with the subject matter :confused::confused:

That post is talking about being delayed...

Here is an excerpt:

"ADVICE: You have an early flight? Don't buy expensive things or spend a lot of money on-board. You will be detained and screened. If the list is long and you happen to be behind a few folks, you will have to wait a while and you may miss your flight. Declare everything and you still have to wait to have your audience with the agent. It doesn't matter."

Edited by Brandonclan

You were on Allure. For the most part, the consensus here on CC is that for Oasis/Allure, it is worth the risk of taking an early flight because the chance of a complication causing a delay is minimal. Sure, something can happen, but you have the best chance of making an early flight coming off one of these two ships.

The reason I posted is all too often we only hear about the opposite. When the "if" happens. Wanted to give data on the other side to balance the view. Then people can make an informed decision if they want to try and make that early flight.

We're on a 11:25 am SW flt in 2 weeks. Keeping my fingers crossed that we have good luck like yours. We plan to leave our room by 7am. If we get through it all and at the a/p by 9ish, I'll be a happy camper and we can just sit at the a/p. Good to hear you made it through w/o a hitch.

I didn't know boarding passes were free to print in internet center. Thanks for that information. Is that true for all ships? We will be on Liberty of the Seas.

No, it's only on Allure & Oasis...other ships you can print out your boarding pass but you will have to buy internet minutes or use the ones from your C&A coupon if you have one...

Under normal circumstances, do you think it would be possible to make a 10:50 am flight out of San Juan?

Thanks.

Possible...but not within my comfort zone...I have sailed out of SJ twice...the first time we did not even make it off the ship till almost 9...the 2nd time we were off & at the airport by 9...for me...noon would be the earliest I would book from there...not only do you have to check in for your airline...but prior to checking in there all your bags have to go thru the AG screening....and sometimes that can cause a back up...

The reason I posted is all too often we only hear about the opposite. When the "if" happens. Wanted to give data on the other side to balance the view. Then people can make an informed decision if they want to try and make that early flight.

The problem with a post like yours is that is could lead to a newbie thinking it could work like this for any other ship. Oasis/Allure are unique in that their scheduled arrival into port is earlier than other ships. This is a key difference that needs to be highlighted in this type of post.

On another note, since you had to go to the Southwest counter anyway to check your bags, you could have just gotten your boarding passes there as well; it really wouldn't have taken any additional time.

Lastly, you were very lucky in that you didn't experience a lengthy line at either airport check in or airport security. I've been at FLL when the security line was wrapped around the building.

There is always so many questions about making early flights after a cruise. So just wanted to share our experience. Sailed on Allure and since we had to fly cross coutry back to California, wanted to do an early flight. Originally was looking at 10:15 SW flight - but hesitated too long and couldn't get that for a reasonable deal. So decided to take a risk and book the 8:55am flight!! I am normally a person who hates being late and am a planner so this seemed really risky but since worse case was I called Southwest and delay the reservation with no fee - decided to risk it.

Printed out our boarding passes day before (free in internet center). Carried our luggare off the ship. We left our stateroom at 6:30 - no issue walking off the ship. Had too wait 2 elavator cycles at the port, but got through that and quickly cleared customs. After some confusion on where taxi's are (on exiting building go left, cross the street to taxi line, even though signage seems to indicate right in front). Quick taxi ride ($15) and we were at airport. Proceeded through SW line to check our bags, and then headed to security line. Cleared Security and checked time and it was 7:15! So we had plenty of time to get coffee, sit at the gate a bit and easily make our 8:55 flight.

Could unknown delays occur? Yes, but if you want to try, definetly doable as long as you are disciplined to walk out early

Getting off the Oasis/Allure yes you can. Try doing this from any other ships at any of the other terminals in Port Everglades and probably not. Those other terminals do not have near the Customs and Immigration capacity that Terminal 18 does for the Oasis/Allure.

A few comments. 1) I usually am a worrier about travel but sometimes you have to try something to see if it can work 2) agree may not work for all, but expect people will read all comments and should make own decision, that is the power of a forum to hear all aspects. Also people naturally tend to take the time to post only when frustrated and tried to add some balance. 3) it does help to have boarding pass printed even if checking baggage on SW. They often have a baggage drop off line and full service line at the checkin line and the drop off line is much shorter and if every minute counts it helps - I have ran to make a plane before so if trying to improve the odds on making an early flight I would print it.

Does anyone know if there is luggage transport to the airport by the cruise line out of San Juan? That is a great program, but I am not sure if itis available out of San Juan?

Unless it has changed recently, No...there is no luggage Valet from San Juan...there used to be & agree it was great!

Left the Oasis this morning. Walked off at 6:18, Airport 6:30, at my gate 6:47am.

Flight leaves at 10:15am. Should have booked the 8:30am flight.

Several friends did.:D

Note if you want to do this you need to be up and off early. I didn't head off the ship until 7:15 and it took me 30 minutes just to get through immigration.

Left the Oasis this morning. Walked off at 6:18, Airport 6:30, at my gate 6:47am.

Flight leaves at 10:15am. Should have booked the 8:30am flight.

I will note in order for this to take place as smoothly as it did for me. You need to be lined up for self walk off no later than 5:50am.

All flyers say it starts at 6:30, but as you can tell from my schedule it started well before that.

Also, I walked up to immigration with no line. Was probably the 5-6 person off the oasis. Those that were off before me I passed during the long walk.