Hotel and shuttle help in Newark, NJ

swedish girl

:rolleyes:Leaving out of Bayonne, NJ for 2014 Eastern Seaboard cruise. Haven't sailed from there before and would like to know if anyone has stayed at the Newark Marriott Courtyard, which is supposed to be close to the cruiseport, and also help with shuttles to port and from port to airport. Sailing on Celebrity Summit. Thanks!

I stayed at The Hampton Inn Staten Island and they have complimentary

shuttle that picks you up at the airport (Newark) AND complimentary

shuttle to the ship as well.

We stayed at the Country Inn also, right across from the Marriott. We had a rate that included airport shuttles, breakfast, and a shuttle to and from the pier. The hotel is clean and comfortable, nothing fancy or elegant, but perfectly adequate. The outstanding part for us was the very helpful services they provided. There were quite a few cruise passengers staying there on Oct. 4, boarding the Summit the next day. That was the cruise that was delayed due to Noro on the previous cruise, so our boarding time was delayed twice, with departure finally at 8:00pm. A day or so before the cruise, we were instructed not to arrive at the pier before 5:00pm.

The hotel couldn't allow us to stay in our rooms late as they were fully booked for the next night. They did, however, allow us to leave our luggage in secured storage areas and allowed us to hang out in the breakfast room all day. They rescheduled the shuttles on very short notice and were very accommodating. On the return trip, we had a late afternoon flight, so they again let us stay in their breakfast room as long as we wanted. I'd definitely recommend staying with them.

There seem to be 3 Courtyard by Marriotts near Newark - two at the airport (one on Glimcher Way near the outlets, and one next to the Fairfield Inn and Springhill Suites, just sitting between all the freeway ramps), and one in downtown Newark.

Which is the one that has the shuttle to Cape Liberty, Bayonne? Or is it a different one entirely?

We stayed at the Marriott Spring Hill Suites Newark Airport which is right next to the Fairfield which is right next to the Courtyard. Spring Hill Suites had a shuttle to the port that cost $45 + tip for the shuttle regardless of number of passengers. At check-in we were able to sign up for the service. It was a comfortable ride and seemed to take less time to get to the port than it did to get to the hotel from the airport. The shuttle from the airport was packed full of people with several standing in the aisle.

From the airport, we had to go to a specific location where all of the hotel shuttle buses took on passengers. So, we had to get into the train and head to I believe it was station #4. There were several shuttle buses for Courtyard hotels and then one for airport Courtyard and Spring Hill Suites.

Edited by JMG

Essiesmom...I have looked at all 3 websites. All 3 mention airport shuttles. None mentioned a shuttle to Cape Liberty, Bayonne. That's why I asked - it would be so easy for the person who stayed at the Courtyard to just say which one, and have info on the shuttle to Bayonne, like the person who stayed at the Springhill Suites just did.

My wife suffers form COPD so walking and carrying our luggage and medical equipment would make it difficult to get on a train in order to get to a hotel shuttle. Does anyone know if, at EWR, you can pick up a taxi just outside baggage claim?

Bob

Edited by kennelgang

Stayed at the Hampton Inn on Staten Island. They had a great senior rate. Free parking during the cruise and free shuttle to and from the port. You need to make an appointment for pick up times when you book the room. You will be given a time and your name will be on the list for that time. No line jumping.

They also provide a shuttle to the free ferry if you decide to travel to Manhatten.

We drove to the parking area for the ferry and parking was $7. Since we had our car it was more convenient than waiting for a shuttle. Got off the ferry and got senior rate for a few tokens for the subway or bus for a few dollars instead of getting a day pass. It was all we needed. From the ferry you can walk to the 911 memorial, past Wall st and the bull. Then take the subway to Times Square and walk around the area, Central Park, St Patricks Catheral. Grand Central Terminal and etc

There are maps that show the subway routes amd attractions. Maps will also be at the hotel.

The people and police are very friendly and helpful, and there are police everywhere. It was a great trip.

.🎅

We stayed at the Country Inn also, right across from the Marriott. We had a rate that included airport shuttles, breakfast, and a shuttle to and from the pier. The hotel is clean and comfortable, nothing fancy or elegant, but perfectly adequate. The outstanding part for us was the very helpful services they provided. There were quite a few cruise passengers staying there on Oct. 4, boarding the Summit the next day. That was the cruise that was delayed due to Noro on the previous cruise, so our boarding time was delayed twice, with departure finally at 8:00pm. A day or so before the cruise, we were instructed not to arrive at the pier before 5:00pm.

The hotel couldn't allow us to stay in our rooms late as they were fully booked for the next night. They did, however, allow us to leave our luggage in secured storage areas and allowed us to hang out in the breakfast room all day. They rescheduled the shuttles on very short notice and were very accommodating. On the return trip, we had a late afternoon flight, so they again let us stay in their breakfast room as long as we wanted. I'd definitely recommend staying with them.

We have stayed at the Country Inn twice for our Summit cruises. We were pleased with them both times. There is a shopping mall across the road that we able to spend some time. When you get to the hotel you should make reservations for the transfer to the ship. They have two set times that you can take the shuttle. We would use them again if we to go on the Summit out of NJ.

Essiesmom...I have looked at all 3 websites. All 3 mention airport shuttles. None mentioned a shuttle to Cape Liberty, Bayonne. That's why I asked - it would be so easy for the person who stayed at the Courtyard to just say which one, and have info on the shuttle to Bayonne, like the person who stayed at the Springhill Suites just did.

Problem is there really isn't enough business for everyone to have shuttles. Most people going on cruises out of Bayonne are from the area and not a lot fly in. The hotels in Staten Island have been recommended many times on these boards and they have encouraged business to the port.

Also, I am a retired Police Officer in that county, do not stay in downtown Newark|......There are loads of hotels on Rt 1 and 9 and the aftermentioned Staten Island. Many of these hotels will show an Elizabeth address and some will show a Newark address. Most of the airport is actually in Elizabeth so those addresses are very close.

Finally, lots of info on the East Coast departures board.

Edited by dkjretired

I stayed at The Hampton Inn Staten Island and they have complimentary

shuttle that picks you up at the airport (Newark) AND complimentary

shuttle to the ship as well.

Did the shuttle at Country Inn pick you up at the baggage claim outside the airport or did you have to go to another meeting place and hop on a train as some others wrote?

Problem is there really isn't enough business for everyone to have shuttles. Most people going on cruises out of Bayonne are from the area and not a lot fly in. The hotels in Staten Island have been recommended many times on these boards and they have encouraged business to the port.

Also, I am a retired Police Officer in that county, do not stay in downtown Newark|......There are loads of hotels on Rt 1 and 9 and the aftermentioned Staten Island. Many of these hotels will show an Elizabeth address and some will show a Newark address. Most of the airport is actually in Elizabeth so those addresses are very close.

Finally, lots of info on the East Coast departures board.

Sorry, I meant Hampton Inn on Staten Island when asking if shuttle pick up was right outside baggage claim at the Newark Airport or if had to go to another pickup place and train.

Did the shuttle at Country Inn pick you up at the baggage claim outside the airport or did you have to go to another meeting place and hop on a train as some others wrote?

Hi, The Hampton Inn;)..you pick up your lugguge, which is downstairs,

then you take the elevator or escalator back upstairs and yes, you take

the train to stop P4. You go outside and will see benches and other

people too. The shuttle picks you up outside.

Sorry, I meant Hampton Inn on Staten Island when asking if shuttle pick up was right outside baggage claim at the Newark Airport or if had to go to another pickup place and train.

Hi, see my previous post.....yes, you pick up your luggage and then

go back upstairs and pick up the train and get off at stop P4. It may

sound a bit complicated but it is really not.

It appeared that all hotel shuttles (with the possible exception of the Marriott right on the airport grounds) pick up from the P4 area at the airport, which means you must take the Airtrain to get there. As someone else said, it's less hassle than we expected. There are elevators and escalators, and you can take luggage carts right onto the train, so that makes it easy. If you don't see a shuttle to your hotel in the first 10 minutes or so, call them to get a time estimate. .

The thing we found curious was that the shuttles taking you back to the airport drop you off right at your airline. Not sure why that's allowed but not the arrival pickups.

It's the Country Inns & Suites on Glimchler Realty Way (sp?), in Elizabeth, NJ., not the Courtyard. Although they do not mention the shuttle service, they DO offer it and you can confirm that by emailing them from their website http://www.countryinns.com/elizabeth-hotel-nj-07201/njnewark That's how I learned about it. It is a decent hotel and they are very used to cruisers.

Susan

Edited by englander

It's the Country Inns & Suites on Glimchler Realty Way (sp?), in Elizabeth, NJ., not the Courtyard. Although they do not mention the shuttle service, they DO offer it and you can confirm that by emailing them from their website http://www.countryinns.com/elizabeth-hotel-nj-07201/njnewark That's how I learned about it. It is a decent hotel and they are very used to cruisers.

Susan

We booked Country Inn & Suites, Elizabeth,NJ, through Stay 123. It was a very reasonable rate.

The shuttle was to the port was $35 pp, roundtrip. They give you the time when you arrive for check-in.

The hotel was very nice, free breakfast and there were a couple of restaurants within walking distance. We chose Ruby Tuesday's which was right next door.

We booked Country Inn & Suites, Elizabeth,NJ, through Stay 123. It was a very reasonable rate.

The shuttle was to the port was $35 pp, roundtrip. They give you the time when you arrive for check-in.

The hotel was very nice, free breakfast and there were a couple of restaurants within walking distance. We chose Ruby Tuesday's which was right next door.

Who did you book your shuttle to the port with? I see on the 123 stay site the transportation cost a little more and it doesn't mention roundtrip. Thanx :)