Alaska for next year

mathan416

Hi Everyone,

Scott and I are looking at booking Alaska for next year, and it may be possible we'll be bringing along 6 other folks including Scott's mum and, possibly, aunt; two friends and their mother and stepfather.

What I am wondering is, are there any particular times of the year that Princess puts Alaska on sale that may possibly be better than the current sales?

I know Alaska is currently on sale, and we're totally working the referral system as 5 out of the 6 additionals have not been on Princess. We also have our FCC in and will be getting OBCs.

Also, I need some advice about room selection. If it ends up Scott's Aunt can't come along, I was considering getting a Mini Suite or something with a pull out bed. BUT would Scott and I be comfortable on the pull out (we're big guys) or would Scott's Mum be comfortable (she's 70). I really do want to think of her comfort.

Thanks in advance!

The sofa bed on the minisuites only sleep 1. Maybe 2 young kids but only 1 adult. The whole bed doesn't open up, only a portion of it. And, it really isn't that comfortable. Though it is amazing what one would put up with for a trip to Alaska :)

Edited by Coral

Now is the time to book; Alaska is in great demand and the prices will never be lower. But if they should drop (other than a special sale) all you have to do is call Princess or have your TA call to lock in the lower price.

Now is the time to book; Alaska is in great demand and the prices will never be lower. But if they should drop (other than a special sale) all you have to do is call Princess or have your TA call to lock in the lower price.

Unless it is after final payment date.

There is a special promotion until the end of Novembrt, '3 for Free'.

Free upgrade, dinner in specialty restaurant, and on board credit toward an excursion. You will still get any price reduction that may come in the future. This is a good deal. We are putting together a family reunion cruise in Aug. RT Seattle. Can't wait.

The best prices for Alaska will be around Feb. to March and usually after the final payments are due. The cheapest dates to sail are usually in May and the last cruise or two in September (but May is almost always cheaper).

I'm surprised at how well some of the AK cruises are selling out. If you want one of the smaller ships (Coral, Island or Pacific), then book earlier than you would for the other cruises. Generally speaking, the ones out of SEA sell better and are more expensive than the one way Voyage of the Glacier cruises.

Two years ago I was able to book an inside guaranteed for mid June on the Golden Princess round trip out of Seattle for only $349 pp. We booked it only 14 days before the sailing. It helps that we live about an hour and a half from the port. So you can get great last minute deals at times. But there's no guarantee they'll have a deal like that next year.

Since they're doing a sale + 3 free promo we booked the May 18th round trip from Seattle :) We'll have our lil one with us so we're doing up a mini suite. To keep a lookout for lower rates I just saved the cruise to the Save & Share Cruises section on the Princess site, that way I can just login, hit the Update Price button and see if I need to make a call :) Cheers to a great trip, hope to see u guys on board!

Last year, we booked after final payment for a B2B which was 14 days from Vancouver and back. We got a good deal, but you can't be picky about cabins and have to be flexible about what ship you want. I waited to see which ship had the best deals. For a large group, that may not work especially if you want cabins close to each other.

My husband and I have sailed several times with our adult daughter. In the interest of harmony and privacy, she has booked an inside cabin as close to our cabin as possible. We make the larger, outside room - be it mini or full suite - available for her use during the waking hours. When it is time to sleep, we go our separate ways. I take post-its along and when we get up I put one on the outside of our door to let her know we are awake. If we leave the cabin before she gets up in the morning I leave one on her door to let her know where we are having breakfast. It works very well for us.

I should mention that one time we shared a mini-suite. She complained about her father snoring and wasn't too happy. Sleeping with the two of them, I have to say that she did her share of snoring as well, but nothing wakes DH, so he didn't know.

Whatever you do, though, make that Alaska trip! There is nothing to compare with it at all. It's the best. We will be going for the 7th time since 2008 this June, and can't wait to get on the ship once again.

If you book Alaska during the shoulder season (May/Sept), the price tend to be better too. Either book early or very late, but then you might risk the chance of not getting any room or your desired room if you wait too late.

Also look for a good TA that either discount the room or give you additional amenities. With so many rooms, they do add up. My TA always give me great service and excellent price...:D

last year and didn't book the one way to Anchorage until April for July 27 sailing and got in on a flash sale and a killer deal ($999 including taxes). We booked a BF and were upgraded to a BA on the Baja deck. We went through our TA whose agency does a high volume with Princess and they tend to get the better deals.

last year and didn't book the one way to Anchorage until April for July 27 sailing and got in on a flash sale and a killer deal ($999 including taxes). We booked a BF and were upgraded to a BA on the Baja deck. We went through our TA whose agency does a high volume with Princess and they tend to get the better deals.

That would've been a Flash Rate you got. It's not advertised online usually. Only to TAs and once in awhile, through very specific mailers. It has nothing to do with the volume the agency does with Princess. The volume an agency does only affects the commission rates, not the passengers' rates in most instances.

Edited by DrivesLikeMario

May and late Aug/Sept are great. Any time are will be great and it may depend on what you want to see. Early May is great to catch the snow, especially on the Skagway train. Sept can be beautiful with all the green around and if you book later in Sept you get the best prices in port for all the end of season sales. We booked our southbound while we were onboard the northbound last year and it was only $199 pp inside. It was cheaper than flying! Whenever you go it will be great. have a good time but be careful. Alaska cruising can be habit forming!

This last spring's prices were excellent for the RT(Seattle) Inside Passage/Glacier Bay 7-day.

The fare(circle members) for inside cabins for all of the May sailings(and first one in June) were starting @ $299-$349 (inside cabin). We just couldn't refuse that awesome price, and so we booked short notice:D.

These advertised prices were after final payment, so if one can take advantage and either find a particular May (shoulder)date that they're looking at and plan for that time, it could be advantageous to wait for these great prices this coming year. Of course, there is no guarantee that this may happen again, but having diligently followed cruise prices over the last few years, I am often amazed at the significant drop in prices from the launch fare if ships are struggling to get filled(often the less popular shoulder season dates).

FWIW, We took the first cruise in May this year and had a wonderful clear day in Glacier Bay and the drive over the White Pass to Carcross was really neat and lived up to its name. Having also previously lived in SE Alaska, it's been my personal experience that Mid-May to Early July provides for the best (clear) weather.

Edited by Skai

Hi Everyone,

Scott and I are looking at booking Alaska for next year, and it may be possible we'll be bringing along 6 other folks including Scott's mum and, possibly, aunt; two friends and their mother and stepfather.

What I am wondering is, are there any particular times of the year that Princess puts Alaska on sale that may possibly be better than the current sales?

I know Alaska is currently on sale, and we're totally working the referral system as 5 out of the 6 additionals have not been on Princess. We also have our FCC in and will be getting OBCs.

Also, I need some advice about room selection. If it ends up Scott's Aunt can't come along, I was considering getting a Mini Suite or something with a pull out bed. BUT would Scott and I be comfortable on the pull out (we're big guys) or would Scott's Mum be comfortable (she's 70). I really do want to think of her comfort.

Thanks in advance!

Hey, I know you guys! You were on the beach with me and my family in Grand Turk last week on the Royal! I was just telling my wife I wish we had a way to contact you and get a copy of that photo you took of the barracuda! That was amazing…