New to Carnival is this normal or did I waste money on FTTF

hollyberry

my husband was so excited about this! But unfortunately he passed away of a massive heart attack while at work (never sick at all) on September 10th....I thought about cancelling the cruise...but it was nonrefundable with even the tips paid....and I knew how mad he would be if I gave up the being platinum part (we were being grandfathered in if we took the 10th cruise before December 31st) .... not sure how my first cruise will be without him..........but I know he will be sailing with me in spirit.....he loved cruising!

So sorry about the loss of your husband. I am glad that you are taking the cruise anyway. I am sure he will be smiling down on you and will be happy that you are thinking of him while you enjoy what he loved so much. Have a wonderful trip! :)

that's awesome. The main reason I want it is because I can't see walking around the ship forever with our carry-on and 3 kids! I'm planning on leaving our hotel around 10 or so. THere is a Ravens game (1:00) on the day we leave...I don't want to deal with traffic

I don't know if you're a football fan or not, but it really doesn't matter.

FTFF will get you on the ship faster, and you want that in Baltimore. The waiting area is also a "security zone", which means the cops and security are serious about cellphones here.

I went last year during the Ravens/Redskins Game. You try keeping 1000 people in the security area from using their cellphones to watch the game as well as general malaise and boredom. I heard stories that they were confiscating cellphones because people kept using it. If you got three kids, they maybe jerks about electronic devices that even look like cellphones (like ipads, ipods, Nintendo DSs). Fortunately for me, they didn't care about my Kindle.

If you haven't gotten it already, get it just to get OUT of the security zone quicker.

We arrived at the port around 10:30 am and we were onboard at the atrium bar ordering our first drink at 11:25 am. Platinum friends beat us onboard by about 15 minutes. NOT worth the extra $50 IMO. ;)

Did you get to go to your cabin as soon as you boarded? Was your luggage delivered shortly after you boarded? Did you go to the front of the line to board a tender? Did you have a special phone number for Guest Services along with a special line at Guest Services? Did you get priority disembarkation if you wanted it? There are so many other things included in FTTF besides getting on the ship before the masses. Everybody seems to be hung up on just that one asset of FTTF.

Did you get to go to your cabin as soon as you boarded? Was your luggage delivered shortly after you boarded? Did you go to the front of the line to board a tender? Did you have a special phone number for Guest Services along with a special line at Guest Services? Did you get priority disembarkation if you wanted it? There are so many other things included in FTTF besides getting on the ship before the masses. Everybody seems to be hung up on just that one asset of FTTF.

No, we were not able to get into our cabin but had Platinum friends staying 4 cabins down so we dropped our carry-on there.

Our luggage was delivered before 2PM.

We were first in line for the tender to HMC because we had booked a Villa.

No special number for guest services but we never needed to talk to anyone there anyway.

We did self debark and we were off the ship at 8:15am.

Does that help to answer your questions? ;)

Look, I'm not knocking the FTTF program, for some it must be worth it. For me, not so much. :)

No, we were not able to get into our cabin but had Platinum friends staying 4 cabins down so we dropped our carry-on there.

Does that help to answer your questions? ;)

Look, I'm not knocking the FTTF program, for some it must be worth it. For me, not so much. :)

Yes it does. You have to look at it though that not everybody has Platinum friends staying four doors down. And I won't even go there...

Our room was ready not long after boarding with FTTF. Our Platinum friends room wasn't ready so they put there carry-ons in our room. So you never know except that FTTF is the best deal out there.

Don't worry about Football traffic for the Ravens, they just lost to Cleveland(lol) and have a bad record, so probably not a lot of traffic. lol;)

Edited by repo-cruiser

DH and I did the FTTF for our cruise in August and we will definitely do it again! We left our hotel room about 9:30, took a shuttle to the terminal, went thru security, waited no more than 20 minutes and boarded. Our luggage was waiting on us when we arrived to our stateroom! We dropped everything off and proceeded to Guy's Burger Joint for the first of several burgers that we consumed during our cruise.

The FTTF also allows for priority boarding of any tender boats if you happen to have a port where you have to tender and it allows priority service at guest services.

All in all, we loved it and will definitely do it next time!

FTTF is SO worth the money...we paid for it on our Freedom Cruise in May - which was our 9th cruise....we had someone drop us off at the port....and we literally felt like we had an extra day on the ship....it seemed like we were on the ship that long......I recommend it 100% ..... everyone gets the message about don't come until..whatever time.........don't worry about that.....I am cruise in 10 days and I will be Platinum so I don't have to pay that money....my husband was so excited about this! But unfortunately he passed away of a massive heart attack while at work (never sick at all) on September 10th....I thought about cancelling the cruise...but it was nonrefundable with even the tips paid....and I knew how mad he would be if I gave up the being platinum part (we were being grandfathered in if we took the 10th cruise before December 31st) .... not sure how my first cruise will be without him..........but I know he will be sailing with me in spirit.....he loved cruising!

I'm so sorry to hear this. Have a good time knowing that your husband is watching you and celebrating your platinium cruise in spirit.

It just depends on the situation. We got an email that, due to the Liberty returning from Belize there could be a delay in allowing passengers on board. The email recommended to arrive for embarkation at 1 pm. We got there a little after 11:30 AM and had to wait until about Noon to board. However, with FTTF, we were permitted to board right after the diamond and platinum guests.

According to the research my DW did, it would seem that - more often than not - you can simply ignore the request to arrive later and be on board in your cabin by 11 AM with FTTF.

FTTF is not a waste at all IMO. Priority boarding, immediate access to your cabin, priority tendering (obviously only applicable at tender ports) and priority service at the guest services desk are well worth $50 in my opinion. I'm just wondering how long they'll keep the price at $50 per cabin.

Edited by rebel7254

Standard letter, I believe trying to regulate traffic at the terminal.

If there was an emergency and the ship was coming in late or something they will usually call you with a phone recording. In that case you do sometimes have to head to port at a later time.

Have a nice cruise!

Just got this email. Do I still show up at 10:30 and expect to be in my cabin by 12 with FTTF or should I cancel it figuring I'll get to it when everyone is.

November 5, 2013

Hi there:

Betcha can't wait for your cruise aboard the beautiful Carnival Pride. So, we'd like to take a moment to provide you with some important information.

To ensure a smooth embarkation experience, check-in for your cruise is scheduled from 1:30 PM to 3:00 PM. For your comfort and convenience, and since seating is limited in the cruise terminal, we ask that you please not arrive before 1:30 PM.

We thank you for your cooperation and understanding. Most importantly, we can't wait to welcome you aboard for a fun and memorable cruise vacation.

See you soon!

Sincerely,

Vicky Rey, CTC

Vice President - Guest Services

Please do not reply to this email as the mailbox is not monitored.

Have you used FTTF and had a bad experience with it?

No i have not, we boarded the breeze on Oct. 26 and we boarded about 5 min after fttf and we there were no lines no where, we went and had lunch and 30 min later we went to our room and it was ready. So to us it will not be worth $50. Now some people take so many carry on luggage that to them it may be a good idea.

We arrived at the port around 10:30 am and we were onboard at the atrium bar ordering our first drink at 11:25 am. Platinum friends beat us onboard by about 15 minutes. NOT worth the extra $50 IMO. ;)

We totally agree not worth it at all.

Yes it does. You have to look at it though that not everybody has Platinum friends staying four doors down. And I won't even go there...

Umm, go where?? Am I missing something?? :confused:

Since you asked, yes. Platinum/Diamond benefits are for those that have earned them, not their friends. The signs on the doors say something like Cabins are off limits until 1:30 unless you are Platinum/Diamond or have purchased FTTF. It does not say "Or friends of the above".

FTTF is easily worth the $50. Not for just boarding early, but also for being able to go to Guest Services desk and using the Platinum line and also for early tenders and early disembarkation. It's also well worth it from the standpoint of initial boarding that you can take all your carry on items directly to your cabin and then roam the ship without lugging all of those things around while you enjoy the Lido buffet. If I ever cruise Carnival again, I'll definitely purchase FTTF if offered but my next cruise is shaping up as a Royal Caribbean one.

that's awesome. The main reason I want it is because I can't see walking around the ship forever with our carry-on and 3 kids! I'm planning on leaving our hotel around 10 or so. THere is a Ravens game (1:00) on the day we leave...I don't want to deal with traffic

There is always traffic. Always. Ravens game or not, with the massive amount of people living in this area you should always plan for traffic. There is even traffic on Saturday and Sundays. Welcome to the Baltimore-Washington Metro Area :D

Since you asked, yes. Platinum/Diamond benefits are for those that have earned them, not their friends. The signs on the doors say something like Cabins are off limits until 1:30 unless you are Platinum/Diamond or have purchased FTTF. It does not say "Or friends of the above".

ROFL!!! I'll bet you're a riot at parties! :D

By your standards, the lady with the platinum bennies should not have allowed her mother (who was on first cruise) into their shared cabin before 1:30. LOL

Oh my, thanks for the morning laugh! :p

ROFL!!! I'll bet you're a riot at parties! :D

By your standards, the lady with the platinum bennies should not have allowed her mother (who was on first cruise) into their shared cabin before 1:30. LOL

Oh my, thanks for the morning laugh! :p

If you have been reading the postings since the beginning of FTTF, a lot of the Platinum/Diamond passengers were complaining that what they had worked so hard to earn was now being given to just anybody for a $50 charge. Then this poster comes along and states that their Platinum friend was giving them one of their benefits for free.

I never said anything about any lady and her mother. If they were both in the same cabin, then her Mother was allowed to enter before 1:30. Now if she was in a cabin four doors down like the poster that I was referring to, then no.

To say the FTTF program is not worth it because you don't need any of it is one thing. To say it isn't worth it because you cheat the system is another.

If you have been reading the postings since the beginning of FTTF, a lot of the Platinum/Diamond passengers were complaining that what they had worked so hard to earn was now being given to just anybody for a $50 charge. Then this poster comes along and states that their Platinum friend was giving them one of their benefits for free.

I never said anything about any lady and her mother. If they were both in the same cabin, then her Mother was allowed to enter before 1:30. Now if she was in a cabin four doors down like the poster that I was referring to, then no.

To say the FTTF program is not worth it because you don't need any of it is one thing. To say it isn't worth it because you cheat the system is another.

You said...and I quote: "Platinum/Diamond benefits are for those that have earned them, not their friends". The lady's Mother did not earn any bennies on her own but was allowed to share in them. Should she now be made to walk the plank? LOL

Yep, that's me...the system cheater! LOL Wow, I drop off one carryon in a friends cabin AT THEIR suggestion and now I'm a criminal! ROFL!!!!

For the record, I said it wasn't worth it in MY OPINION. I'm still allowed to have one of those, right? ;)

We went down the line of the "bennies" of FTTF in an earlier post and as you could clearly see there was NO incentive for me to purchase it. NONE. I spent that extra $50 on DODs. ;)