Getting enough Ice?

TrinaLC

I mentioned on this last cruise that the ice never stayed. We always had it in the am and again after turndown, but if we had room service delivered for cocktails before dinner we usually asked the delivery steward if he could fill the ice and he always obliged. We often needed to call to have it refilled at night as well.

I, like Ruth, often like to drink the water from the ice bucket. I like "ultra cold" water and that works. At home I keep a glass of ice water in the fridge so it is very cold and I like it that way on the cruise too, but it is just harder to get it that way when the ice is always melting.

Douglas...Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I, like Ruth, often like to drink the water from the ice bucket. I like "ultra cold" water and that works. At home I keep a glass of ice water in the fridge so it is very cold and I like it that way on the cruise too, but it is just harder to get it that way when the ice is always melting.

If I learned nothing else from my husband, I learned "Lotta ice".

What's so difficult about getting your own ice when you need extra? Don't the crew have enough to do without having double "ice duty".

I would rather do that --- but last I checked, there isn't an ice machine down the hall.

Staying at a pre-cruise hotel, we've done that morning, noon and night.

I've paid enough without "ice duty" of locating a bar tender who doesn't mind filling my ice bucket.

I would rather do that --- but last I checked, there isn't an ice machine down the hall.

Staying at a pre-cruise hotel, we've done that morning, noon and night.

I've paid enough without "ice duty" of locating a bar tender who doesn't mind filling my ice bucket.

No need to look...just call.

Sent from my iPad

Duh... Really? Seriously?

I never saw anyone in this thread mention bottles or cans.

Have you seen the size of those ice buckets? How many bottles or cans do you suppose they hold? If you put more than one can of diet coke in that bucket, they'll be little room for salted or unsalted ice.

Where did I miss the mention of bottles or cans?

I have in mind the person who orders bottles of vodka or scotch etc and wants to make their cocktail.

It's for personal coolers, not the ice bucket. Makes more sense than putting salted ice INTO the drinks.

It's for personal coolers, not the ice bucket. Makes more sense than putting salted ice INTO the drinks.

Read the entire thread, and you'll find yourself dazzled... I've already explained. You think I'm stupid, putting salt in drinks?

@S7S, I mostly drop it in a sink and add water over there. More than enough space to hold my daily drinks.

Isn't it weird that "ice" is an issue on this thread? I thought I was the only one that had a problem with "ice." On my many cruises on HAL I have wanted Ice in my room around 2 or 3PM for my drinks. The stewards always have a full bucket of ice in my room early(9:AM) which is fine, but it starts to melt by the time I need it, which is around 4PM. I wonder if we could we just put in a request to the steward to have ice in our room at a specific time???

Isn't it weird that "ice" is an issue on this thread? I thought I was the only one that had a problem with "ice." On my many cruises on HAL I have wanted Ice in my room around 2 or 3PM for my drinks. The stewards always have a full bucket of ice in my room early(9:AM) which is fine, but it starts to melt by the time I need it, which is around 4PM. I wonder if we could we just put in a request to the steward to have ice in our room at a specific time???

This is the exact reason my DH "pre-tipped" a small amount at the beginning of the cruise last time. He gave them the $$ and asked them to please make sure there was sufficient ice (not melted) in the room throughout the day. IE: Morning, Afternoon, Late Afternoon, and Evening. The ice is not just for alcoholic drinks, but for soda, water, etc.

They happily complied.

i am having cancer operation in five days. i pray and hope they do as much worrying about germs as some of you do. i hope one day to sail again on one of the germ-hal ships. get over it.

I am truly sorry to hear that you are going through such a challenging endeavor. I am also in oncology. I wish for you a speedy recovery.

However, that is not a reason to be snarky. Each person has a list of what is direly important to them. To the rest of us, it may seem trite. I personally worry about the number of hangers in the cabin. Stupid? Yes! But in reality, it is a whole lot more manageable to worry about hangers than developing cancer in my other breast.

I hope your surgery is minimally invasive and your treatment is mild. Be well.:)

Yes you can..Tell your Steward what time you would like to have your Ice bucket renewed..

I always thought there was no such thing as a stupid question:confused::confused:

Kazu, as usual you are right.. However, may I suggest that more posters use the reporting factor to alert the Hosts about offensive posts..;)

If the Hosts consider a post to be in-appropriate, they will remove it.. It does not pay to answer some people as two other Posters recently pointed out to me..:):) LOL

Happy cruising...Betty

Edited by serendipity1499

I'm kind of surprised a thread on ice would go on so long --- on all of our cruises for the last 30 years, getting ice was never a problem.

It got even easier since we started bring our own small cooler. The ice stays solid and fresh much longer than the tiny ice buckets provided. Morning ice was still fine for early evening cocktails. :)

On the Zaandam a couple of years ago we brought two coolers. It was our first cruise in years with no refrigerator (cooler) in the cabin. We didn't need it -- one was more than adequate.

We also use LOTS of ice. I simply brought a medium size soft-sided cooler bag, and on the the first day, laid it on the bed with a note that said "Lots of ice please" and a $20. Cooler was full when we got back to the cabin later. I continued to tip something every day (not necessarily $20 every time) and the cooler and ice bucket stayed full and freshened all the time. This was on the Eurodam. Our room stewards were excellent.

I also like my afternoon ice! I just did a Princess cruise. When we got to our room the ice bucket was empty!!!! When our room steward came by, I ask for ice. She said she would get it later...meaning turn down service. I ask if there was a place I could got get it. She said no. She finally went to get it but she didn't want to. Needless to say, we didn't star out on the right foot. So we should be thankful that HAL always starts out with a full ice bucket.

Also, on my to bring list is a slotted spoon. I don't like the tongs either.

OP here, live from the Eurodam!

We bought a styrofoam cooler before we boarded. It did double duty - we bought six bottles of wine, packed them in newspaper, and closed the cooler with lots and lots of duct tape.

It arrived having been inspected for alcohol by the security team, but it did arrive! (We had checked it at the pier.)

Our room steward who is fabulous fills it full every morning and evening. It stays cold enough that we have plenty of ice all the time. My first cruise that I can say that!

It may have helped that DH is on crutches and we really *need* as opposed to just really *want* the ice, but what a treat to get icy cold water any time we want, not to mention icy cold adult beverages!

We did not tip in advance, but plan to tip nicely and make clear that we really, really appreciated the ice service.

(Why don't lines install self service ice machines like hotels do!!!!!)