What are some helpful things to bring on the ship?

bethann:)

I use the light from the watch to find the flashlight !!!:D

Also, a small battery operated "tealight" provides enough light in the cabin to find your way around.

now that idea I would use, we never take all/most of these items listed and we do fine. Your not going to be in some remote place where you couldn't buy anything else you may need.

Good to know hairdryers are in each cabin... What about beach towels? Do they offer them up as people leave the ship in port, and if so, at what cost? Surely we do not take towels from the cabins, right? DH wants to take his own rather small colorful beach towel but I think that's a waste of space.

Yes there are

Safe sailing

bluenose1

Wow, thanks for mentioning the coffee filters! I bought a sealed 12oz package of Jamaican Blue Mountain but it didn't occur to me to pack filters. I do know the pouch thingees that hotels use; I'd have been kicking myself from Miami to Cartagena!

Here's a Q -- what do they have for cream (in the cabin AND restaurants)?

-- E.

Elizabeth AKA crystalspin

booked on N.Star, Panama Canal etc, December 2013

People's needs are all different. I have only taken an over the door organizer once and found it useless. Others swear by them.

Instead of a power strip, we now take an adapter with numerous outlets. Highlighter does come in handy as well as some post it notes. We only travel with carry ons also.

bluenose1

Wow, thanks for mentioning the coffee filters! I bought a sealed 12oz package of Jamaican Blue Mountain but it didn't occur to me to pack filters. I do know the pouch thingees that hotels use; I'd have been kicking myself from Miami to Cartagena!

Here's a Q -- what do they have for cream (in the cabin AND restaurants)?

-- E.

Elizabeth AKA crystalspin

booked on N.Star, Panama Canal etc, December 2013

Going to a beach for the day, yes, you can take the beach towel from your cabin, however, make sure you bring it back with you, otherwise, you'll be charged a fee, I think it's $25 per towel.

People's needs are all different. I have only taken an over the door organizer once and found it useless. Others swear by them.

Instead of a power strip, we now take an adapter with numerous outlets. Highlighter does come in handy as well as some post it notes. We only travel with carry ons also.

Yes, everyone is different. Over the door organizers are good for families. Not enough counter space! Think a family with teenage daughters....imagine all that makeup and hair products! Lol

Yes, everyone is different. Over the door organizers are good for families. Not enough counter space! Think a family with teenage daughters....imagine all that makeup and hair products! Lol

Actually, we were traveling with our teen daughter as well as our son. Four in a cabin. The OTD organizer kept swinging every time someone opened the bathroom door.

Thanks for the news that there are beach towels in the cabin. Very good news!

Going to a beach for the day, yes, you can take the beach towel from your cabin, however, make sure you bring it back with you, otherwise, you'll be charged a fee, I think it's $25 per towel.

Does anyone know if they provide water on the ship when it is docked? Some people say that they will have dispensers but some say no you have to go to a restaurant to get it.

Just wondering because I carry a water bottle any time i go out.

Does anyone know if they provide water on the ship when it is docked? Some people say that they will have dispensers but some say no you have to go to a restaurant to get it.

They have water in the buffet but there signs do not use your own water bottles. We fill ours up in the sink

They have bottles of water for sale, or you can fill your own bottle at the buffet. They ask that you don't fill your bottle directly from the dispenser, but if you use a glass and fill your bottle with it, it is OK. We normally fill a couple of glasses with crushed ice and put it in our sipper, then fill with water from the room.

At most ports, you can buy bottled water at the stores at a reasonable price. The water the ship sells is a little pricey !

This is something I tried and it worked very well. I took a large 7 day pill holder and filed 3 compartments with a favorite body lotion, 1 with a face exfoliant, 1 with face serum, 1 with face cream, 1 with vaseline. And secured it with strong thick rubber bands. It was enough of the products needed for a week on the ship and saved space.

2 times onboard POA in the past. If you like coffee, before getting on ship buy small coffee filters and a bag of good ground Kona coffee. All the ship has is hotel quality single things of coffee.

Is there a coffee maker in the POA cabin? A great cup of Kona coffee in the morning would be wonderful!

@crafter188

There are coffeemakers on NCL ships in staterooms from balcony up (i.e. not in oceanview or insides) (or studios on POA). I read somewhere on CC that you can't bring your own to the 'lower' cabins, either. :confused: something about the power outlets? -- however you can order room service to bring you a small pot of coffee at your desired time to awaken. (It won't be Kona I don't think, unless they make a point of regional coffee on Hawaiian cruises.)

There really should be more threads about what not to pack.

Don't over pack. Pack light! Bring only what you really expect to use, or only what you couldn't get by without if you were delayed a couple extra days. Don't clog up your cabin or deal with lugging around extra stuff. There's a Walmart, CVS, Walmart, or similar in every port if you really need something.

Don't bother bringing most of the junk people here recommend. I've never needed the the vast majority of extras I commonly see posted here. No duct tape, over the door hangers, power strips, vacuum packing bags, highlighters, lanyards, clothespins or 99.99% of the other garbage people will recommend. You could easily fill 3 suitcases with all the crap people will commonly respond to these questions with.

Actually, once you lay all the stuff out that you want to bring, do yourself a favor and put half of it back.

Best tip ever here. Put half of the stuff you packed back and bring twice the money.

The highlights I recommend are: book/ magazine for by the pool, beach bag ( or buy one in port), plastic bag for wet items, Imodium/pepto and headache medicine ( these things you don't want to hunt down if needed). Everything else you can buy.