Milk question - Travelling with small children

rccl724

We are traveling with a 1 year old and a 2 and a half year old that consume 1% and fat free milk respectively. Does anyone know if they offer 1% or fat free milk? We are sailing on the Allure, where will I be able to get milk (I'm assuming the windjammer, ideally we would be looking for those individual cartons and not something poured into a glass) and do you think the tiny fridge in the room will be adequate to store a couple days supply?

Thank you for all your help!

Derrel

Milk in individual cartons is available in the Windjammer. It might also be available at the Promenade Café and the Park Café but not certain.

It's not a actually a fridge in the room rather it's just a cooler of sorts. It will not keep the milk adequately chilled and most definitely would not adequately cool a couple days supply. If you need to keep milk in the room suggest you bring a small collapsible nylon cooler that could than be filled will ice & the cartons of milks and than stored in the in room fridge/cooler. Of course you will have to refill the ice during the day.

Edited by xxoocruiser

On the Allure we were able to get 1% or skim low-fat milk in the Windjammer and main dining room - sonmetime had to ask - it was most apparent at breakfast time for cereal, but was available all day.

Promenade cafe and Park cafe had whole milk - not in cartons - it was in a pot similar to coffee, but obviously a refrigerated one. It was right by the coffee, water, etc. Did ask a couple of times for the low-fat and they did get it, but we waited a while. I think they just sent someone to one of the kitchens.

Agree that room fridge would not keep milk cold enough, unless just for an hour or so. Have heard people who wanted it for bedtime asking in the MDR and then taking back to their room after dinner and putting in fridge for a short time.

Milk in individual cartons is available in the Windjammer. It might also be available at the Promenade Café and the Park Café but not certain.

It's not a actually a fridge in the room rather it's just a cooler of sorts. It will not keep the milk adequately chilled and most definitely would not adequately cool a couple days supply. If you need to keep milk in the room suggest you bring a small collapsible nylon cooler that could than be filled will ice & the cartons of milks and than stored in the in room fridge/cooler. Of course you will have to refill the ice during the day.

Room service will bring milk anytime.

When I cruised with my then toddler I discovered that a lot of the staff just love little kids, he was so spoiled. Once a young woman brought some milk (chocolate, warm) as we requested, and my boy made his cute face at her, she oohed and aahed and 15 minutes later came back with a bowl of ice cream! Turns out he reminded her of her own son whom she had to leave at home.

I suspect this is your first cruise, you will learn (much to your delight) that they will fulfill any reasonable request, and bringing milk for toddlers is certainly that.

Edited by DrD

Our group would frequently stop late night at the Promenade Cafe for cookies and milk. The first two nights it took awhile to get the milk - they only had a few at the cafe and probably ran to a kitchen somewhere. For the rest of the cruise, the milk was waiting for us each night!

You can definitely get skim milk....and there is a low-fat milk...probably 2%...that would be ok for 1 week....or you could mix half skim with half 2% and make 1%.......

For 1 week, the kids can drink what's available....it won't hurt them a bit.

When my Daughter was younger, I would ask the cabin attendant for a bucket of Ice to put in the Mini bar for the milk. They would change the Ice out twice a day and it kept the milk very cold. AS for getting skim milk every ship I have been on had both regular and fat free milk...

Lisa