May cruise "Cruising Tracy Arm" -- is it Endicott that would be subbed?

CowPrincess

I'm looking at a May 2014 cruise. One day the ship is supposed to cruise Tracy Arm, for most of the day. I realize that whether we actually cruise Tracy Arm is a crapshoot. Is it Endicott that is the likely substitute? I'm personally not too worried about where we end up but the people who are joining me will want to know in advance ;)

I'm looking at a May 2014 cruise. One day the ship is supposed to cruise Tracy Arm, for most of the day. I realize that whether we actually cruise Tracy Arm is a crapshoot. Is it Endicott that is the likely substitute? I'm personally not too worried about where we end up but the people who are joining me will want to know in advance ;)

There is no close alternative to Tracy arm. In May it's unlikely that you'll be able to get into Tracy arm due to ice.

Edited by Kamloops50

Yes Endicott Arm is substituted for Tracy Arm, May, into the beginning of June, most common timeframe. The Dawes Glacier is what is seen. Unfortunately, Endicott, is way less scenic compared to Tracy Arm. Dawes and Sawyer Glaciers are pretty similar. You will not know where you are going, until the day scheduled.

You also will not have any opportunity to cancel the small boat ship excursion- which I find far superior compared to the cruise ship transit of Tracy Arm.

Edited by Budget Queen

Diversion is a risk you have with every cruise.

No, it's actually pretty rare to happen after mid June. Common prior. Only referring to Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm.

It's even more rare for cruise ship sailing changes. Celebrity was a big problem this year with the Millie.

No, it's actually pretty rare to happen after mid June. Common prior. Only referring to Tracy Arm/Endicott Arm.

It's even more rare for cruise ship sailing changes. Celebrity was a big problem this year with the Millie.

I wasn't referring specifically to Alaska. Any itinerary can have a diversion. It is always a risk.

Thanks for the replies. I realize we won't know until it happens that we might be diverted, but I do want my travelling companions to know of the possiblity of being diverted WELL in advance of the cruise ;) (before they even book, to be honest!)

If the chance of a change in itinerary is that much of an issue, maybe you'd be better off booking a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay. No chance of diversion.

If you do go with a Tracy Arm sailing, be sure to let your friend know that even if you DO go to Tracy Arm instead of Endicott, there is a good chance you won't get to see the glaciers at all.

I have a choice of 2 tours. One has Sitka and the other doesn't, will I miss it? Also from your comment I'm guessing the cruise that goes to cruise Glacier Bay vs Tracy Arm Fjord is a better choice.

The one that has Sitka is the one with Glacier Bay.

Thanks for your help. I'm still trying to decide if Alaska is for me.

If the chance of a change in itinerary is that much of an issue, maybe you'd be better off booking a cruise that goes to Glacier Bay. No chance of diversion.

If you do go with a Tracy Arm sailing, be sure to let your friend know that even if you DO go to Tracy Arm instead of Endicott, there is a good chance you won't get to see the glaciers at all.

It won't be an issue if they know in advance that it might happen, and what the likely alternative is.

If it was just "sprung" on them during the cruise, with no prior warning, that would be an issue ;)

I have a choice of 2 tours. One has Sitka and the other doesn't, will I miss it? Also from your comment I'm guessing the cruise that goes to cruise Glacier Bay vs Tracy Arm Fjord is a better choice.

The one that has Sitka is the one with Glacier Bay.

Thanks for your help. I'm still trying to decide if Alaska is for me.

http://www.sitka.org take some time and find out if Sitka is of any interest to you? On the inside passage, this is the best place for a varied wildlife boat tour, and the only accessible place to see a puffin rookery on the inside passage, up close. However, you need to book with an independent tour vendor.

It may not be a matter of "better choice". Both Tracy Arm and Glacier Bay are spectacular. Depends on YOU. And which ever one is chosen, most itineraries miss the other.

CP - have you and your friends chosen a date, ship and itinerary yet? I'm hoping we may catch up with each other in one of the ports. I'm on the Amsterdam 14 day sailing leaving May 18th. I'll be keeping my fingers crossed!:D

Thus far, we have no "skin in the game" :D I'm doing some prelim research on the various options so people can make informed decisions, y'know? HTG, if I have to listen to one moan/gripe/complaint, I'll feed someone to the sharks :D

The requirements so far are

7-day RT Vancouver

Alaska

HAL

Must be travelling on the ship on May 25 to celebrate someone's birthday

Keep checking, we will have a decision sooner rather than later if I have any say about it :rolleyes: :D

The Zuidy is also under consideration. And possibly the Volendam.

It won't be an issue if they know in advance that it might happen, and what the likely alternative is.

If it was just "sprung" on them during the cruise, with no prior warning, that would be an issue ;)

It is also possible that they will go into Tracy Arm, not get to the glaciers and turn around and head out and not go to Endicott Arm.

So it won't bother them that they might not see a glacier AT ALL, as long as they know it in advance?

If they want to see glaciers, they can. Juneau has one and Whittier has several, for starters.

I was diverted from Tracy Arm to Endicott in 2011, so I can't comment on what Tracey would have been like. (Not because of ice, but because our captain reckoned that Tracey Arm had too many ships in already.) But your friends aren't going to look at Endicott and think they'd wasted a day, because it does have attractive scenery of its own.

If they want to see glaciers, they can. Juneau has one and Whittier has several, for starters.

I was diverted from Tracy Arm to Endicott in 2011, so I can't comment on what Tracey would have been like. (Not because of ice, but because our captain reckoned that Tracey Arm had too many ships in already.) But your friends aren't going to look at Endicott and think they'd wasted a day, because it does have attractive scenery of its own.

In my opinion, with a glacier interest, it is a "must do" to do a Prince William Sound boat tour out of Whittier. :) But, this op is not going to Whittier. They are doing a round trip Vancouver sailing. Mendenhall, is ok, rarely calves. They also may have just a half day port time in Juneau (common with some Tracy Arm itineraries)