Hot Sauce

happybooker1

I want to bring back some 'different' hot sauces from the different ports for Christmas gifts and myself.

We are going to Mahogany Bay--Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. Anyone care to recommend hot sauces that are HOT!! or have really good flavor?

I'm not talking about salsa but hot sauce that comes in the skinny bottles and is usually dripped into/onto something.

Edited by happybooker1

I want to bring back some 'different' hot sauces from the different ports for Christmas gifts and myself.

We are going to Mahogany Bay--Roatan, Belize, and Cozumel. Anyone care to recommend hot sauces that are HOT!! or have really good flavor?

I'm not talking about salsa but hot sauce that comes in the skinny bottles and is usually dripped into/onto something.

I usually bring back some local hot sauces. Many times I will try out a hot sauce in a restaurant and if I like it I go looking for it if the restaurant doesn't sell it. At other times especially at markets the vendor will let you sample it. I have not gotten hot sauces from the ports you are going to but I am sure you will find something in your heat range because your definition of HOT and mine may be way different.

Shak

Sorry, I've never purchased hot sauces in those particular ports -- but, I'd be willing to bet that you'll find some nice selections, if you look.

If your cruises ever take you to Barbados (a great port), be sure to try the "Delish" Bajan Hot Pepper Sauce. But, be forewarned, the stuff is nuclear!:p

First of all, get out of Mahogany Bay as fast as your feet will take you. Go see Roatan.

OK then. Hot sauce. Get it in Belize. You want Marie Sharp's products. There is a variety. They will satisfy your need for hot. For a better price, go into town to a store.

Belizw will also have Lissette's Special Sauce. It isn't so hot but it isn't for use as a hot sauce. More of cooking additive/glaze.

Enjoy.

This is not from an island, but there is a restaurant in Florida (and maybe in Ga....) called "Columbia Restaurant".....they have their own hot sauce and it's delicious! It's not too hot, but it has such a nice flavor!

I'm pretty sure it can be ordered online...but if you're in Fl., you might google where they are....it's very good hot sauce!

Edited by cb at sea

First of all, get out of Mahogany Bay as fast as your feet will take you. Go see Roatan.

OK then. Hot sauce. Get it in Belize. You want Marie Sharp's products. There is a variety. They will satisfy your need for hot. For a better price, go into town to a store.

Belizw will also have Lissette's Special Sauce. It isn't so hot but it isn't for use as a hot sauce. More of cooking additive/glaze.

Enjoy.

Marie Sharp's is the best!

I love the stuff and am sadly almost out.

Have you tried to find it online? If you Google "Delish Bajan Hot Pepper Sauce", their website should come up. We don't get to Barbados very often, but the bottle I bought last spring is holding up very well. Just curious -- what's your favorite thing to put Delish on? I love it on scrambled eggs, instead of salsa or tabasco. But, a little goes a long way! :p

Another vote for Marie Sharp's! Great stuff!

Also, if you don't mind ordering online, Blind Betty sauces from St. John are excellent. St. John Spice has them and a lot of other island hot sauces available on their web site. They are also in the US so they can ship using the Priority Mail flat rate boxes, so shipping if reasonable.

Well, now I know what I'm doing i Belize.....

I have purchased Suzzanne's and Melinda's in Belize. I don't remember where the Marie Sharp's came from. The hottest that I have found was Dave's Insanity Sauce. It will light you up.:eek:

Edited by clackey

My DS is a hot sauce freak! We went to all the ports you listed and he found plenty to make him happy. I can't tell you which one is his favorite, but as you can see from the picture below - He's a hot sauce FANATIC!

And WOW! Jollycruise, what an assortment! Looks great!

The hottest that I have found was Dave's Insanity Sauce. It will light you up.:eek:

Oh noooooo. Dave's is still amateur stuff!

Try Da Bomb, Ground Zero

For comparison

basic Tobasco .. 2,500 to 5,000 scoville depending on age

Daves Insanity .. 51,000 scoville (and yes it will melt your tongue)

Da Bomb Ground Zero .. 234,000 scoville

http://www.mohotta.com/product/dabomb-ground-zero/s

and that is FAR from the hottest in the catalog!

{A pharmacist named Wilbur Scoville invented the Scoville Scale in 1912 to measure the heat of peppers. A “Scoville Unit” is actually a measure of capsaicin (the chemical in hot peppers that is responsible for their heat).

Scoville’s test was a comparative taste test that is considered subjective by today’s standards. A more sophisticated method is in use today, but in honor of Wilbur Scoville, the unit of measure is still called the Scoville.}

From one hot sauce lover to another!

Here's one I really like and is available in some grocery's ... very nice on fish and pork

http://www.mohotta.com/product/matouks-west-indian-salsa-picante-hot-sauce/s

702.jpg

only 1200 sco's

Edited by Capt_BJ

Enjoy.

Marie Sharp has some great sauces. A restaurant we used to patronize had them and they were well liked.

Marie Sharp has some great sauces. A restaurant we used to patronize had them and they were well liked.

We are big fans of Marie Sharp's products. Tasty and spicy. The brown one made with raisins is a treat.

Hot for the sake of hot is kinda......dumb. 357 Magnum Sauce comes to mind.

The hottest that I have found was Dave's Insanity Sauce. It will light you up.:eek:

Oh noooooo. Dave's is still amateur stuff!

Try Da Bomb, Ground Zero

For comparison

basic Tobasco .. 2,500 to 5,000 scoville depending on age

Daves Insanity .. 51,000 scoville (and yes it will melt your tongue)

Da Bomb Ground Zero .. 234,000 scoville

http://www.mohotta.com/product/dabomb-ground-zero/s

and that is FAR from the hottest in the catalog!

One word: Blair's

His weakest sauce is 500,000 scoville and his 6am Reserve goes 16,000,000 scoville. Yeah, that's 16 MILLION.

Just look for the bottle with wax all over the top and a little skull stuck in it. Usually in a plastic box and not exactly cheap, but that's OK as a bottle should last long enough to get you through to the NEXT millennium!

My DS is a hot sauce freak! We went to all the ports you listed and he found plenty to make him happy. I can't tell you which one is his favorite, but as you can see from the picture below - He's a hot sauce FANATIC!

My DH sounds like his long lost twin!:D

I don't know if this has been mentioned before: there is a hot sauce store in New Orleans that has sauces from around everywhere and their own. For hot sauce lovers, it is bliss. They have samples out that you can taste, burn and sizzle on! I think they also ship. Believe it is near the French Quarter.

I don't know if this has been mentioned before: there is a hot sauce store in New Orleans that has sauces from around everywhere and their own. For hot sauce lovers, it is bliss. They have samples out that you can taste, burn and sizzle on! I think they also ship. Believe it is near the French Quarter.

When I saw the mention of Melinda's, I told DH, "I bought that in New Orleans years ago!" It had to have been that shop.

Dave's Insanity is my limit; I still want to be able to taste the food.

Edited by Gloria Mundi