Who do YOU share your cruise plans with?

CowPrincess

DH and I joined Facebook when our "boys" were in their late teens just so we could check up on their activities. Imagine my horror last year when DH and I were going on a 14 day cruise to Alaska to celebrate our 30th anniversary and our youngest son has posted that he is having a party while his parents are away :eek:

Worst part is that he didn't see a problem with this. We alerted our neighbours and close family members and the day of his 'party' I was anxious as all get out but no panicy phone calls from anyone. Turned out it was a non-event but you can just imagine what might have happened.

Rockfan2

When we go on vacation we have a neighbor feed our cars, collect the paper and the mail. We tell our neighbors we are gone, we are in a very stable neighborhood and the newest people on our street have been here four years. We both tell people at work because we are excited about it. But neither one of us are on facebook or any other social media site. I don't let any of our friends post pictures of us anywhere. To help keep our digital footprints down, we use several different search engines. I never use google anymore.

We tell the house/cat sitter, GJ's workplace, a few relatives, a few friends, and notify our immediate neighbors so they can report any suspicious activity. We have an alarm system in the home. We have lived here over 20 years, so we know our neighbors very well. I don't use any social media like Facebook or Twitter. The only thing I post comments to is CC. My email is known to a few friends. That is about it.

When we go on vacation we have a neighbor feed our cars, collect the paper and the mail. We tell our neighbors we are gone, we are in a very stable neighborhood and the newest people on our street have been here four years. We both tell people at work because we are excited about it. But neither one of us are on facebook or any other social media site. I don't let any of our friends post pictures of us anywhere. To help keep our digital footprints down, we use several different search engines. I never use google anymore.

Could you explain this? I'm not sure that I understand how not using google and using multiple other search engines contribute to on-line security.

Very interesting thread, some good pointers. I tell my boss, our kids (so they can pop in occasionally and pet the lonely cat), cancel the paper, and tell our two tenants, they look after the cat and our mail, and since they both work there are enough vehicles moving in and out that no one will miss us. No FB posts until after we have returned, and then a few scenic pictures. DS looks after any needed snow removal or grass mowing needed. And one next door neighbour, with whom we do reciprocal holiday duties. So far, so good!

I am reluctant to share vacation plans, but for a different reason. All of our families, many friends, etc are lower income than us, and I'm getting real tired of the rolling eyes and the "must be nice" comments. Nobody knows our income and we also get the whole "how on earth can you afford that?" Nosy? Rude? You betcha. Doesn't stop most people. We took a quick visit to Vegas last week and only our adult kids even know we went. That's why I hang out on these boards sometimes. I get to see chatter about our upcoming trip with people who are just as excited as me!

I am reluctant to share vacation plans, but for a different reason. All of our families, many friends, etc are lower income than us, and I'm getting real tired of the rolling eyes and the "must be nice" comments. Nobody knows our income and we also get the whole "how on earth can you afford that?" Nosy? Rude? You betcha. Doesn't stop most people. We took a quick visit to Vegas last week and only our adult kids even know we went. That's why I hang out on these boards sometimes. I get to see chatter about our upcoming trip with people who are just as excited as me!

I hear you. I hear how "lucky" I am to go away so often. I work in a high pressure environment and I need to get away. I just don't understand why people feel the need to make snarky comments. I've had to de friend a few people on Facebook because their comments got really nasty.

"It must be nice" is a phrase I never use about anything or anyone. In fact, I cringe when I hear other people using it-- not directed at me necessarily, but just using it. When people say that, they are implying that others should feel guilty about what they do.

Granted, "it" IS nice, but the expression is not intended to convey best wishes.

So continue to hang out here where people understand your love of cruising----and that is nice. :)

I get that comment often from my UK relatives and friends. Fortunately, my immediate family and friends here in Canada know how hard we worked for our cruises, and what we give up for them. I find it quite offensive, and am tempted to point out what they spend their money on, but it's not worth it. So I just ignore and I don't tell them anymore;).

Feel the same way!!

"It must be nice" is a phrase I never use about anything or anyone. In fact, I cringe when I hear other people using it-- not directed at me necessarily, but just using it. When people say that, they are implying that others should feel guilty about what they do.

Granted, "it" IS nice, but the expression is not intended to convey best wishes.

So continue to hang out here where people understand your love of cruising----and that is nice. :)

I simply reply "Yes it is!" and give them a big smile. :)

Could you explain this? I'm not sure that I understand how not using google and using multiple other search engines contribute to on-line security.

Google tracks and saves every key stroke you make while using them as a search engine. If you do not use them, and use a variety of other search engines it makes it harder for any person or any government entity to track what you do online. Not that I do anything nefarious, I just want to keep big business and big government out of my life as much as possible.

Google tracks and saves every key stroke you make while using them as a search engine. If you do not use them, and use a variety of other search engines it makes it harder for any person or any government entity to track what you do online. Not that I do anything nefarious, I just want to keep big business and big government out of my life as much as possible.

I'm quite sure that any entity large enough and with deep enough pockets to acquire the information in the first place would have no difficulty in correlating the data related to a given IP, whether on one or across multiple search engines. A user would probably be better off using a VPN than switching to Bing, Yahoo or other alternatives to Google.