AA meetings on every ship, every day?

ViolaSwamp

I have a friend who's in AA and who is nervous about booking a cruise because of all the booze everywhere. He wants to know if there are AA meetings on every Carnival ship and if so, do they happen every day?

I have been on two CCL cruises but I was never looking for this info in the Fun Times so I cannot recall. If someone can advise I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Sent from my iPad using Forums mobile app

I have a friend who's in AA and who is nervous about booking a cruise because of all the booze everywhere. He wants to know if there are AA meetings on every Carnival ship and if so, do they happen every day?

I have been on two CCL cruises but I was never looking for this info in the Fun Times so I cannot recall. If someone can advise I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Out of all my cruises on Carnival I have never seen or heard of this meeting be held. Edit Note: Crazy me Yes they are the Friends of Bill W meetings I am not thinking today LOL.

Edited by christmas

I have seen them on the schedule I believe ("Friends of Bill"?) but for the life of me I cannot recall the frequency, and I don't know if all ships have them...?

Every ship has them. They are usually every day.

To answer your question, yes every ship everyday.

Funny anecdote though, I read the fun times everyday onboard and I noticed this friend of bill guy had a meeting daily. Eventually on my third cruise I was like wow how do I always cruise with this guy and he's always in the fun times? So at 15 years of age I decided to go to meet this Bill W guy and sure enough there's 3 people in there looking at me and I sit down and I hear "Hi my name is Greg, and I'm an alcoholic" I immediately realize I'm in the wrong place get up walk out, start laughing, tell my grandmother, and then she explained to me what being a "friend of Bill W" was. Being 15 it seemed like the most embarrassing moment of my life at the time

Hint: have your friend bring his Big Book with him so someone having trouble spotting another FoB will see that and know he's found who he's been looking for.

This is usually a good suggestion when whatever Carnival ship decides to have it out in the open where anyone and everyone is walking/sitting/milling around. Not all meetings are in the chapel or a private area. Some are outside the coffee shop. Not EVERYONE is comfortable asking a random stranger, "Hey, are you a Friend of Bill?" ;)

Most definitely tell your friend to bring his big book and any other literature he finds helpful. While its true meetings will be available, and more than likely scheduled every day, attendance may be poor to non-existent.

My partner is in the program and has discovered you cannot depend on having others at the meetings on cruise ships. I think one meeting on one cruise three or four others showed up, but very often he was the only one. Fortunately he has long-term sobriety so to go a week or two without a meeting he can be ok, provided he has his big book with him.

Funny anecdote though, I read the fun times everyday onboard and I noticed this friend of bill guy had a meeting daily. Eventually on my third cruise I was like wow how do I always cruise with this guy and he's always in the fun times? So at 15 years of age I decided to go to meet this Bill W guy and sure enough there's 3 people in there looking at me and I sit down and I hear "Hi my name is Greg, and I'm an alcoholic" I immediately realize I'm in the wrong place get up walk out, start laughing, tell my grandmother, and then she explained to me what being a "friend of Bill W" was. Being 15 it seemed like the most embarrassing moment of my life at the time

Funny story. The things we learn on a cruise ship.....

I used to look at cruise travel books and wonder the same thing (this was pre-internet). He seemed like such a cool guy and had friends everywhere.

Fast forward a few years and I'm actually in AA (15 years sober now). I go to meetings on board and some are great, some have poor attendance. Tell your friend to go to every scheduled meeting, he's bound to meet at least one person he can exchange room info with so that he has a lifeline if things get scary for him.

I don't remember which ship but John Heald had to post an apology regarding the meeting being held in one of the bars.

Oh that is awesome because 1) I could see that actually happening and 2) I could see him making up a joke like that.

On my previous crusises, there have typically been "Friends of Bill W" events.. attendance was hit or miss.. generally held in the chapel (if one is available).

I would suggest going at least the first day. Chances are, at least 1 other person will attend, and they can exchange info.. that way, even if there are no other attended meetings, you can contact eachother if he/she needs a "touchpoint" during the cruise.

On a personal note, I travel with someone who is 7 years sober, and says that while never being "tempted" during normal life, the cruise atmosphere makes him wish he could just kick back with a "fun" beverage.. just like eveyone else, so he really appreciates the availability of meetings on the ships. he instead chooses to drink Red Bull & Sprite... it feels like a splurge, and an alternate kind of "fun" drink.

On a personal note, I travel with someone who is 7 years sober, and says that while never being "tempted" during normal life, the cruise atmosphere makes him wish he could just kick back with a "fun" beverage.. just like eveyone else, so he really appreciates the availability of meetings on the ships. he instead chooses to drink Red Bull & Sprite... it feels like a splurge, and an alternate kind of "fun" drink.

I agree that this is probably one of the harder things about cruising a sort of party line like CCL. Looking at our sail away party on deck photos, practically all the adults doing the line dances had drinks in their hands. But I suppose you can always splurge on a virgin pina colada? I have a friend who is recovering as well, and the one thing she will avoid is going to a gathering or place where the 'fun' is having beers or drinks. She just won't go at all. Could be tricky for CCL...

A couple years ago, someone in my cruise party wanted to attend the meetings onboard but requested a 'buddy' join them as they were new to the process. I always wondered what went on in these meetings and whether I could learn maybe how to support this person better, so I agreed to help out.

We went to the first meeting on that ship and there about 8 - 10 people in attendance. My 'buddy' dove right into the group like a fish out of water. However, my 'buddy' would not let me gracefully bow out for the rest of the cruise. I couldn't have felt more out of place as everyone spoke but me and I was relegated to sitting there and listening respectfully.

We went each morning (early! ugh... :) ) and thank goodness were others attending as well.

It seems that since that cruise, I always make it a point to notice if there are any takers to the FoB meetings and it's really hit or miss as to whether anyone shows up.

As a long time FOB I always smile at the responses to these questions from people that don't have a clue what the fellowship of alcoholics anonymous it is all about and how it works.

If your friend is attending meetings at home they will be fine attending the meetings on the ship. It really doesn't matter if the meeting is in a bar that is closed and private or the chapel or anywhere else -- your friend knows why they are at the meeting and knows where it is held is immaterial.

Many meetings on ships are held in a closed bar as it affords the privacy which is important to many members of AA.

This is good to know, I saw those in the fun times too last week and wondered if they were having some special group on board.

My sister is 3 years sober now so next March it will be good for her to have the option to attend if she wants. Now of course she works in the bar industry so she is used to being around alcohol so the party boat vibe does not bother her. I don't think she even goes for the virgin drinks though. Now my mom does like the virgin ones and that is what she ordered this past week when we were on the boat.

A couple years ago, someone in my cruise party wanted to attend the meetings onboard but requested a 'buddy' join them as they were new to the process. I always wondered what went on in these meetings and whether I could learn maybe how to support this person better, so I agreed to help out.

We went to the first meeting on that ship and there about 8 - 10 people in attendance. My 'buddy' dove right into the group like a fish out of water. However, my 'buddy' would not let me gracefully bow out for the rest of the cruise. I couldn't have felt more out of place as everyone spoke but me and I was relegated to sitting there and listening respectfully.

We went each morning (early! ugh... :) ) and thank goodness were others attending as well.

It seems that since that cruise, I always make it a point to notice if there are any takers to the FoB meetings and it's really hit or miss as to whether anyone shows up.

Speaking not as a Friend of Bill W.. but as a friend of a friend.. I think the theory is good for anyone.. and maybe should be taught more.. it's all about taking ownership for your actions, making amends (where applicable) and making a decision every day about what you intend to do with that day by your actions. Pretty solid stuff, in my opinion.

Interesting. I will have to look at copies of my funtimes tonight.

How would you know Carnival offers these meetings? And do they do it, because there's so much alcohol onboard? Just asking cause I think this is way cool.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I747 using Tapatalk

Carnival doesn't "offer" them due to the atmosphere. these are independly organized meetings, but which Carnival offers space.. just like Friends of Dorothy.. or a meet up group.. or any other "topic" centered meeting request.

I've seen them on other cruiselines as well.

I think it's just that it's so prevelant, that it's very common to actually have attendees on each ship and each sailing. Doesn't matter if you're 1 month, 1 year or 20+ years... it's always 1 day at a time, and I've seen how this particular group is especially open and caring and available to it's "members". It's a good thing.