Alaska round trip via Seattle, WA-please tell me your experience!

backheidi

After reading a lot and many thoughts, we still chose a Round trip Alaska cruise via Seattle, WA (though Vancouver has many fans). Our biggest reason was time, ease, and expense. I like to get to my destination (the ship) with as much ease as possible. Therefore, the thoughts of plane, train, bus, etc. to get to Vancouver just for a little better viewing of the inside passage was not a priority. Our biggest priorities are seeing Glacier Bay, whale watching, the Deadliest Catch excursion, and the White Pass train excursion. So for those who have taken the Seattle round trip, could you please share? We are going on the June 7, 2014 cruise on Golden Princess (which we chose because of good reviews). There is a small group of us (8) and none of us have ever been to Alaska. I have never heard of anyone NOT having a good cruise to Alaska regardless of what ship, port, time of year, etc. so I am hoping it is the same for us. Again, thank you to all in advance.

We've done the northbound twice, once when we were living in Texas, and the second was booked while we were living in Texas but we cruised after we moved to Seattle. Our next cruise is round-trip Seattle, and I'm extremely excited to do a RT. Honestly, although College Fjord is "neat", it's not nearly as majestic as Glacier Bay, so I don't think you're missing much.

My biggest "concern" is the timing of the port days. For us, we have Tracy Arm 6am-10am and Juneau 2pm-10pm on the same day. Further, we're planning to do the small-ship Tracy Arm excursion, which is 8:30am-2pm, so we're guaranteed to be up and out the door by 8:15. Right now, we're planning a whale watch that'll run to 7:30pm. The next morning we're in Skagway at 6am, and I'm planning a Haines Wilderness River Adventure at 8:30am, so it's a "tough" two days. North/southbound spreads this out.

We're both avid photographers and we take a lot of gear, so we're real lucky in being able to drive to the cruise terminal (and have a friend take our vehicle home). Just be aware that Princess uses the "Smith Cove Cruise Ship Terminal", 2001 W Garfield St, so if you fly in early, don't assume that a downtown hotel puts you right at the ship. Downtown hotel puts you near pier 66, but not pier 91 (aka Smith Cove Cruise Terminal).

I'm booked on my 10th cruise to Alaska in May. I've done the R/T Seattle three times ( Sapphire Princess, Westerdam and Amsterdam) for the same reasons you have. All three trips were wonderful. Sure, if you have the extra time and money, the one- ways are great, especially if you can spend some time touring, but IMO the round trips are certainly worthwhile.

You will fall in love with Alaska. Pack those hats and mittens! Bon Voyage.

I did a round trip out of Seattle on the HAL 14 itinerary. That year, on the northbound segment, the ship traveled toward Vancouver and we had the magnificent scenic sailing on the NB segment that is east of Vancouver Island. When we headed back southbound to Seattle, we traveled the open ocean, which is what you will get in both directions on your cruise. The open ocean is no comparison to traveling to the east of Vancouver Island. Unfortunately, HAL's 14 day itinerary no longer travels to Vancouver on the northbound segment. :(

I also took a one way cruise out of Vancouver. We just flew right into Vancouver...did not fly into Seattle and take trains or buses. You can keep it simple if you choose, and Vancouver is a lovely city to tour.

A lot depends on your interests. For me, my cruises to AK were all about the scenery. That is what I was going for, and I didn't want to miss any opportunties. Some people reallly don't get all that excited about scenery. They will take a peak, but then end up going back inside the ship. Others, like me, are glued to the scenery...either viewing outside on deck or finding a good viewing area from inside. The HAL ships have the Crows Nest Lounge which has amazing panoramic viewing on the bow. Also some people choose a cruise because of the activities it offers them. I am not one of those people. I choose my cruise based on the itinerary. It is great to have choices that appeal to all of us, with our varied interests and priorities.

Many people return with amazing reviews of AK on their round trip Seattle cruises. It sounds like your priorities are going to be met with the cruise you chose, so I would just relax and enjoy your upcoming cruise. If any of your group is prone to motion sickness, make sure they address this with their doctors so they are well prepared in case the open ocean is acting up a bit.

Have a great cruise!!!

After reading a lot and many thoughts, we still chose a Round trip Alaska cruise via Seattle, WA (though Vancouver has many fans). Our biggest reason was time, ease, and expense. I like to get to my destination (the ship) with as much ease as possible. Therefore, the thoughts of plane, train, bus, etc. to get to Vancouver just for a little better viewing of the inside passage was not a priority. Our biggest priorities are seeing Glacier Bay, whale watching, the Deadliest Catch excursion, and the White Pass train excursion. So for those who have taken the Seattle round trip, could you please share? We are going on the June 7, 2014 cruise on Golden Princess (which we chose because of good reviews). There is a small group of us (8) and none of us have ever been to Alaska. I have never heard of anyone NOT having a good cruise to Alaska regardless of what ship, port, time of year, etc. so I am hoping it is the same for us. Again, thank you to all in advance.

It sounds like you are fixed on your booking and choice of this particular cruise. What are you looking for with the "share" comment? Alaska cruises are enjoyed by many, and reports are going to have "excellent" claims. You've listed all kinds of reasons for your selection- well thought out and what you want.

I have sailed out of Seattle about 10 times, certainly all were enjoyable for me, BUT, I frequently sail more than once per year, and always have at least one inside Vancouver Island sailing, which is my preference.

While I would doubt that you would or will have anything but a good cruise from Seattle, almost a day in either direction is going to be without scenery. I think most agree that some of the best scenery is between Vancouver and Ketchikan is well worth the extra effort in getting to Vancouver. The other issue in some peoples mind is the stop in Victoria on the southern leg of a Seattle itinerary and while I don't share that view it is nonetheless an issue with some.

We did the Alaskan Cruise out of Seattle in the first week of September.. It was a long trek for us to get to Seattle but we arrived the day before and our hotel room was right across from NCL pier and we watch the ship come in the morning.. Plenty to do in Seattle too.

We didn't need hats or mitts... We even snorkeled and white river rafted in Alaska and the weather was beautiful. No rain so we didn't need any rain gear. Just a tshirt and hoodie was fine..

Next cruise in May is the Pacific Coast back to back with Alaskan cruise again.

We don't want to do too many excursions this time as we want to explore the ports but we do plan to take a whale watching excursion.

We did plan to take the train excursion in September but it was foggy and we ended up shopping.

We saw plenty of whales and the scenery was beautiful.

We are really looking forward to our 13 day cruise and I totally love Alaska.

Though we typically sail out of Vancouver for the reasons others have mentioned, our extended family group of 18+ cruised the Golden out of Seattle because it was easier/more economical for so many folks to handle the travel there. The seas were relatively calm when we cruised (though I take Bonine throughout every cruise just in case) though a bit rainy, but the last day home was lovely. The first day in open water gave the new cruisers a chance to explore the ship and everyone was able to unwind. Still nice scenic cruising when the ship cuts east back into the channel and of course, Glacier Bay was the hit of the trip. Have a great trip!

Edited by LoriPhil

Thanks to all for your comments. And thank you Peety3 for letting me know which pier we would be going to. Though we have paid for transfers through Princess to the pier, we will still probably fly in the day before and stay in a hotel. We have all taken Caribbean cruises from NYC so we are used to sea days with no scenery and rough seas but agree having scenery all the way there would have been nice. We will use the sea days to settle in and explore the ship. Again, thanks for the input, nice to hear from those who have taken the same ship and route but any info. on this board is so helpful.

Did you look at the STICKY above, " 2013 Alaska cruise review list" ? Go to reply #45 and you'll find that all the trip reports are sorted by cruiseline. You'll find quite a few RT Seattle cruises. Lots of useful details.

Pier 91 is only 5-6 miles north of the downtown core. If you're staying in a downtown hotel , a taxi will only cost about $20 for 2 people. Probably much cheaper, and more convenient than a cruiseline transfer.

Before heading to the ship, make an early morning visit to Pike Place Market; the crowds get overwhelming by noon.